Questions Re: Lx Ss Hatch

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 _Torana Chick_

_Torana Chick_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

Hi All,

I have some questions regarding the LX SS Hatch in general and also some specific to the car I'm looking for history on. I'm hoping someone can help..... (And sorry for any really girlie or niave questions :rolleyes: )

1. How many 6 cyl SS's were painted Absinth Yellow
2. Why was it painted without stripes? Have been told from good and trustworthy panel beaters that is original paint.
3. How many 6 cyl SS's had Slate Black interior?
4. Did the 6 cyl ever come out with a A9x option?
5. Were all floorpans cut with a middle hole for the gearbox?
6. HQ stud pattern??
7. Bond 6 point roll cage. Why?? When??
8. Where did the stainless steel drop tank come from?
9. Rear Spoiler.... No visible bolts??
10. I've been told that it has the right wipers on it. What does this mean? :huh: Did the wipers vary throughout the LX's and if so how?

I was going to attach pics, but I dont know how to!! Sorry. But the rego when bought in 2004 was Canberra plates YKT 425 if anyone knows of this car or any of its history please let me know. (was bought in Vic).

Thank you

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

1: No idea sorry
2: Stripes are stickers, were never part of the paint, commonly removed by idiots lol
3: No idea sorry
4: No
5: Yes, all were floor-shift
6: No, that's A9X, has been done since, an SS is mechcanically the same as an SL
7: No, aftermarket, no idea
8: No, aftermarket, no idea
9: Not a factory item along with the flares, not supposed to have bolts anyway
10: Ummm... what? All wipers are the same in my opinion. They are either painted or chrome but they all look the same to me.

For pics, you have to host them on a hosting site such as Photobucket.com and post the addresses of the images over here with [ img] tags.

#3 _Torana Chick_

_Torana Chick_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really hope this works lol :D

#4 _Torana Chick_

_Torana Chick_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

Hi Heath.

Thanks for your response and answers. I have a couple of queries there....

5. Floorpans - what about with the limited T10's that were fitted, did they still have a middle hole cut then a patch fitted or was it cut just on the left?

9. I was told it was only ever the A9x's and the original yellow Torana hatchback show car that came out without bolts visible. I guess I just wanted confirmation or not of this as every other SS i've seen since being told that has bolts visable. And I really wouldnt have a clue!

I guess you can gather I'm fairly confused about its history hence the questions!

But thanks very much for your help, muchly appreciated.

Cheers,

#5 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

T10s were dealer fitted to A9Xs and a patch was welded over the hole cut in the trans tunnel for clearance. The hole for shifter still came thru the same hole in the top of the tunnel. Also with regard to floor pans the upper control arm mountings for the Salisbury diff used in the A9X were different to the Banjo ones used in other LXs and the LHs. UCs have the same upper control arm mountings and floor pan as the A9X because they used the small Salisbury diff.
James

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Yep I think James just answered all your queries. Well apart from the spoiler maybe, it is the rear 3pce spoiler we are talking about right? The Spoiler was for A9Xs, not SSs. The factory ones did not have any visible bolts, some aftermarket ones may have them, and people seem to drill shit into them and bolt them on to match the flares in some cases. Doesn't always look bad but doesn't always look good either. Your car has probably had the full A9X kit on it for 30 years... it will never be factory with those components, what do you want the car to be like? It looks alright to me, and pretty A9X-esque - if that's how you like it, I'd leave it.

In regards to the photos, you're 90% of the way there. With an [ img] tag at the front and a [ /img] tag at the end of the URL, you're set. Remove the spaces and whack em in there. If you want to know if it will work before posting, press the "Preview Post" button.

Example: (with spaces)
[ img]https://cache.gmh-to...na/torana-1.jpg[ /img]
Example: (without spaces)
Posted Image

Edited by Heath, 31 March 2008 - 01:49 PM.

#7 _Torana Chick_

_Torana Chick_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

Thanks James & Heath.

The picture is becoming clearer lol. Thanks heaps for the info provided guys

I'd still be very interested if anyone knows any of the history of the car, maybe from when it was in Canberra? And if anyone knows answers to any of the other questions.

Cheers,

PS thanks for the help with the photos Heath, I got it now :spoton:

#8 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

Try posting on the Canberra Torana Club & ACT Queanbeyan sites in the forsale section with a Info Wanted heading and a link to a pic. There a people always browsing these sites that dont currently have Torana's or havent rejoined because they dont have a car on the road. They also don't necessarily visit these forums. Canberra is like a big country town. There is not much that gets past the goal posts. You car would appear to be a LX SS. Keep in mind the A9X wasnt built until after circa August 1977.

#9 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

A9X Rear Spoiler.-Centre piece bolts from within.
End pieces have a stud attached to the spoiler corner that inserts through the top of the rear guard. Then 3 screws from the outside hold on the corner piece, one on the rear and two on the side.

Wiper arms- The SS had the anti-lift arm ends fitted. They look like two long thick wires with clips/brackets welded on to grip the rubber. You see them on Sigmas but the torana ones are shorter. (TRICO) These may have been a late LX thing.
The early articles on the A9X's showed the above fitted so I am sure it is factory fitted.

If your car was modified in the late 70's, it could be A9X body stuff supplied from Holden spare parts. Anything is possible.

Nice looking car you have and a rare owner too.

#10 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

Thats a hot looking hatch!

#11 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

Correct me if I am wrong please peoples, but I am certain that the SS 6 cylinder model, only came from factory with the front spoiler and nothing else. And it was the SS V8, that got the full body kit from factory..

You might have to check, but your stainless steel fuel tank could be a drop tank mock up, meaning, that its only hiding the original fuel tank. Unless of course, you are actually filling that thing with more than 54 litres of fuel when it reads empty!

Its a really nice looking hatch ToranaChick, all you need to do now is drop in a beasty V8 to go along with the rest of the car! :spoton:

#12 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

Yep Brewster, you are wrong. All SS looked the same from the factory, only the A9X got the full kit

#13 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

Atleast I got my SS 6 cylinder model right!! :tease:

#14 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

Original 6 cylinder SS. (bumpers should be yellow with rubber strip & over riders.)

Posted Image

Front spoiler only - low type. Vinyl stripes - orange and red on Absynth Yellow.
SS sticker on back. Window blackouts. Chrome moulds around windows.

Plastic black mirrors as shown, left & right.

Most common interiors for Absynth were black or brown. Regardless, console
should be black. (with slate armrest)

Everything else you mention could be dealer fitted, but doubtful factory.

Are the spoilers and flares black plastic or fibreglass? (plastic = factory)

Stripes and flares do look a bit OTT, so I can understand why they were removed.
If original paint, blackouts around tail lights, quarter and sills are signs of original
heritage. SS or SL. What's on the plates? LX8VD...?

Bloody nice car!

Edited by Leakey, 01 April 2008 - 05:25 PM.

#15 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Very nice looking car.

GS Motor Bodies (now defunct) were around from the Torana era, and made a very good fibreglass body kit for the hatches and sedans. The hatch rear spoiler was held on in a very similar way to the A9Xs, but the original A9X version used three screws as well as the internal bolt (as described by Baron) for the end pieces, but the GS motor Bodies one used all internal bolts, ie no external screws. If yours has no external screws and is good quality, it's probably a GS motor bodies one.

Leaky, as far as I know, only the front spoiler and the brake ducts was plastic on A9X hatches - everything else on the bodykit was fibreglass.

#16 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

Fine specimen you have there Leaky! Well done! :spoton:

#17 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:18 PM

It's not his anymore, Brewster, it was sold to lx5008.

Tim

#18 _Torana Chick_

_Torana Chick_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments and input.

Yes she is an original LX SS 6 cyl, built in Dandenong in May 76. But am fairly sure it had an A9x option put on it after sold. That is what i'm trying to ascertain, when and where was what done to her like the body kit, drop tank, HQ stud pattern, slip diff, roll cage, Chev motor etc. etc.

Her details are: VIN: 8D77LFJ524273 and yes your right Leaky model number is LX8VD77. Slate black interior and absinth yellow paint.

Toranavista thanks for your idea, will definately do that.

Leaky I have the over riders for the front and back bumpers but took them off :D and yes fibreglass flares Dangerous.

Baron, thank you for your answer re: the wiper blades!!! and about the spoiler

Brewster she already has a beasty v8 in her (Chev 307 that pulls to 8 grand.....nice!!!!!) :spoton: and yes the drop tank is real, I've had 90 or 100 litres in her.

Thanks again guys and I'll keep searching!

#19 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

A9X's didn't have Chev's... A9X's also had rubberless bumpers...

All of the mods that have been done to your SS have probably just been done my an owner in the last 30 years...

Tim

#20 _Torana Chick_

_Torana Chick_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

RIM-010 I know that the Chev does not relate to any A9x options and I'm not sure if it had a kit fitted after manufacture and sale (obviously if build was May 76) if they would have altered the bumpers, or if as you say it was done by a previous owner.

Hence why I'm trying to find out what was done when and where.

Cheers,

#21 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

Its gonna be hard to find out who, when and where added all your options...

The A9X option wasnt done until late 1977, So there is no way that yours could have been done by the dealer. It was no doubt someone who owned the car in the past 30 odd years, Flares and droptanks are easy things to put on a car, and a HQ conversion is pretty easy to do as well...

The best way to find out is to some how track down past owners....

#22 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

[quote name='Dangerous' date='Apr 1 2008, 05:55 PM'] Leaky, as far as I know, only the front spoiler and the brake ducts was plastic on A9X hatches - everything else on the bodykit was fibreglass. [/quote]
[/QUOTE]

Was referring to specs of an original 6 cylinder SS, which is what she has.

Everything else is an add on / modification, not from the factory. :D

#23 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

[quote name='Leakey' date='Apr 2 2008, 05:02 PM'] [quote name='Dangerous' date='Apr 1 2008, 05:55 PM'] Leaky, as far as I know, only the front spoiler and the brake ducts was plastic on A9X hatches - everything else on the bodykit was fibreglass. [/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Was referring to specs of an original 6 cylinder SS, which is what she has.

Everything else is an add on / modification, not from the factory. :D [/quote]
Ahh, that makes more sense.

Cheers,

Dangerous

#24 _Old Yella SS_

_Old Yella SS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hello,

I'm pretty sure that I can help you. If I'm not mistaken your car is the one I owned in Canberra between 1982 and 1990. More than happy to answer any of your questions concerning its early history.

Best wishes

John

Old Yella SS

#25 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hi John - welcome to the forum
She hasn't been on here since April '08 so i wouldnt get any hopes up of a reply

Maybe you can supply the history on the car anyway - just for posterities sake

Otherwise feel free to mingle with the general population - Take it by the name you still own an SS?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users