88 replies to this topic

#26 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Yep - agree. It was a nice one. I saw it a few years back at the Berri show, and it still looked pretty good, although showing a few age marks.

Howard's, I'd still call a show car - it was neat, clean, detailed, plenty of attention to detail, and it was displayed at car shows. I liked it.

I always thought Leon O'Brien's green LJ XU-1 was pretty nice too.

Rick Young's just a six springs to mind. Did the show scean in the 80's.

Will have to upload some pics.

#27 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

I loved Rob Beauchamp torana also.

I though his VL was a dark colour...I got some pic's of it racing at Beneraby (pete smith in his V6 val, victor in the original 57 and the worlds fasted FJ) late 80's early 90's see if I can find them.

I also remember Geoff Patons 4 door it was mean.

Ps always a soft spot for litre 8 ...or should that be a hard spot.

#28 _XU1-043_

_XU1-043_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

:useless:

i like this one it was at Summernats about 2 years ago in the elite hall.
Posted Image

#29 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

:useless:

i like this one it was at Summernats about 2 years ago in the elite hall.
Posted Image

rob bellisitos? I think thats his name.

Nice car. Was at toranafest one year, but never returned as he was unhappy with the judging.

Old man is friends/went to tech with his uncle.

#30 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

That is probably my favourite LJ... Got a poster of it up in the shed so I can look at it while I'm working on the LJ :P

Tim

#31 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Yes Leon's XU1 was a mint car: full back to metal rebuild, Tate motor, 16" Simmons!

Tragically he was subsequently seduced by the dark side (well grey actually) and is now the proud owner of an FE.. :)

#32 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

Yes, I am one of the many, many people who are envious of the car (people came from NZ in 04 to see it!!) and one of the few to get a ride (nice eh Bomber? even at slow speeds).

UUUHHHH-HHHHAAAAAA

Posted Image

Had to pump that one up :P

Think i have one somewhere of you in the car to Grant :D. Might try to find it....

#33 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

Tough as^.

I like GSTRNG too.

#34 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

Not sure how many remember it but some years ago Jeremy's beast was a good show car. Sadly he doesn't have too many photo's of it in its various forms but here is one.

Posted Image

We will be rebuilding this car at the end of the year and it will be brighter and better than ever before.

Jerem'ys car will be something for the forumers to look out for in 2009.

I can't wait to see this car in all its glory parked alongside mine at a couple of shows.

Cheers
Herne

#35 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

It is hard to pinpoint any one car but i am surprised no one has made mention of LS2LX HATCH and 2 WILD4U i suppose for most crew on east coast not actually haveing seen these cars in the flesh they cant appreciate just how good these cars are. :clap: :clap:
Both are awsome feats of engineering and i dont think there is anything that is "show only" anymore .Talk is cheap at all high grade shows now ie Summernats Motorvation Gazzanats and so on you need to not only "display" your car but also "display" it on the track which makes these shows so good .
My vote is for 2WILD4U only because i love the old school if i was new school LS2LX HATCH is right up there with the best and the finish is awsome.
Thats my 2 cents worth :spoton:

#36 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

This LC GTR caught my eye at the 2007 newcastle torana fest

Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

I have to agree with Litre8 being one of the most influencial toranas ever, I remember probably summernats 3 or 4 seeing it when as Howard said it was unheard of to have such a big capacity engine and technology in a torana. The brakes were massive 18 years ago and still up there with the best today. I couldnt believe there were rims that big back then.

If your talking about leather interiors , flat firewalls , smooth undercarriages , then litre8 is not your showcar but it has all the other qualities of great finish and engineering so it gets my vote.

as for out right show cars there are too many to name and as long as they still have the factory body shape im happy.

#38 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

It is hard to pinpoint any one car but i am surprised no one has made mention of LS2LX HATCH and 2 WILD4U i suppose for most crew on east coast not actually haveing seen these cars in the flesh they cant appreciate just how good these cars are.
Both are awsome feats of engineering and i dont think there is anything that is "show only" anymore .Talk is cheap at all high grade shows now ie Summernats Motorvation Gazzanats and so on you need to not only "display" your car but also "display" it on the track which makes these shows so good .
My vote is for 2WILD4U only because i love the old school if i was new school LS2LX HATCH is right up there with the best and the finish is awsome.
Thats my 2 cents worth

ahh cheers, good to hear makes me love my car even more

#39 _LX77SL_

_LX77SL_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

got to agree with fatslr on that. 2WILD4U and the ls2 hatch both awesome cars. they made my trip to motorvation worth it this year i think there was 5 or 6 toranas in the "elite" hall but those 2 were of a far higher standard not saying the other were crap but 2WILD4U and the hatch seemed to get alot more attention. Also the hatch was actually driven 40 minutes to the show not on a trailer. Not to sure about 2WILD4U.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sorry the pic dont do the cars justice its off a camera phone.

#40 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:13 PM

got to agree with fatslr on that. 2WILD4U and the ls2 hatch both awesome cars. they made my trip to motorvation worth it this year i think there was 5 or 6 toranas in the "elite" hall but those 2 were of a far higher standard not saying the other were crap but 2WILD4U and the hatch seemed to get alot more attention. Also the hatch was actually driven 40 minutes to the show not on a trailer. Not to sure about 2WILD4U.

mine was towed there, more so because of work, but it was driven home, mine even gets driven in the rain

#41 _Flatliner_

_Flatliner_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:06 AM

I would have to say the best "SHOW TORANA" to come out of Western Australia is Allan Kirks White LC that got in the top ten at Summernats and then cleaned up at every show on the west coast for the next 2 years.
I beleive it has changed hands a few times since then and have not seen it again.
That thing had hours spent on it and was purely built as a show car.

#42 _NRV051_

_NRV051_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

I cant believe I had to read this whole thread and no one mentioned [b]ALLAN KIRK'S LC until the last post. The first car that came to mind when I read the title was the LC.

Edited by NRV051, 06 September 2008 - 05:00 PM.

#43 _triple-x_

_triple-x_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:14 PM

Nice to see i got a mention (and thanks for the kind words Rob), I would post some pics but not to sure how to on here.
The car was primarily a show car but it did see some miles (1200km over 4 years, not alot)and i must say pulled a pretty good skid or 2, befor i sold it. The greatest achivment would have been driving it to the last Motorvation in 05 driving it all weekend collecting Grand Champion for the 4th time and putting the trophies in the boot and driving home while all the other "show cars" got loaded onto trailers.
Correct the car is now on it's third owner since me and the last i saw of it was in a truck on it's way to Victoria, so maybe some more east coast people might get to see it.

As for what i think are the best "show torana's" two cars come to mind immediately Brett Hayes's red LJ XU-1 from the summernats very early days, that was detailed to the max with very little modifications, and Phil Rillota's red LC from SA with the blown rodeck in it (maybe not exactly what some would call a show car) but man when i brought street machine with that on the cover i could not put it down for days.

#44 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

IMO Rob Beauchamp's LH torana was super clean and a very well engineered show car.
It gets my vote.
Actually all Beauchamp's cars have been very good show cars.

Col

#45 _sbc57lx_

_sbc57lx_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:18 PM

Was the 'Night Rider's car a Torana ? IT TALKS . how cool is that ????????

#46 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

Litre 8 gets my vote super tuff with real performance, even though I have never seen it in the flesh and it is not a hatch it is still genuinely tuff and that means more then fancy paint and leather

#47 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:37 AM

guys you are confusing the green hatch of dave cleary (or whatever his name is) with our own forum member LS2Hatch.
the quality of LS2Hatch's car is a lot higher than that of the green one pictured above - look out for it when it is complete

#48 _D1Torana_

_D1Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

KINGLJ and MRMAD are my favourite LJ's. That red LJ with the turbos and blower was very cool also.

But that twin turbo'd black LX hatch in another thread is my pick for the best torana show car.

That orange LJ up there has a nice engine but it has an autotechnika steering wheel!!!

#49 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

Posted Image

#50 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

Personally my favourite show cars are the ones which drive off the street and into the show. Few stone chips on the rear quarters shows its used. Some of my favourites are 2Tough, Litre8 and MR SLR (barbabos green slr), and I also love Lee's (LJ355) LJ. These are just examples of cars which are driven on the street, track and strip, and can still park under some lights and look the part.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users