jass_hatch

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

I am looking at removing the engine fan and replacing it with twin thermo fans. I have a V8 and I have heard that the AU twin thermo fans are the ones to use on a torana. Does anyone have these on there torana and are they, just as good or better, than the engine fan or is there a better thermo fan on the market.
Thanks

#2 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

i just fitted some (au thermos) to my lx 5ltr , you have to turn it upside down and trim 2 inches or so off the top(now bottom) and trim the edges to fit between the chassis rails , or you can bend the lips down to fit them in , they are a tight fit and take some time and patience to get right, but it looks great . i haven't got the motor going yet but it looks sh*t hot and id be surprised if they didn't work better than most.

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

I just bought a 16" one off Ebay when I did both race cars..no dramas at al..as long as you use a shround..No.2 I used a VK Commy 6 cylinder one trimmed to suit...both cars just sat then perfect at 90C...with a Davies Craig thermo switch.
R

#4 jass_hatch

jass_hatch

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name:Jason

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Robslxhatch, do you have any photos of the fans on the radiator?

#5 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

Good fans, they flow around 3000cfm :spoton:

MT

#6 derrin71

derrin71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Name:Derrin
  • Car:LX Hatchback, Holden Colorado. Mini Clubman S

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

Here are a few photos of mine on my project car, definitely turn them upside down so the wiring is on the underside, as mentioned they need a fair bit of trimming up to fit. everyone i have spoken to recons they will keep anything cool. Also they need twin 40A relays and 40A fuses. I also run mine through a davies craig fan controller.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 _sshatch355_

_sshatch355_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

i used flex-lite fans on mine as there a perfect fit for a lh/x radiator only down side is the price

Posted Image

#8 _BIGCAV_

_BIGCAV_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

its not a torana but i run twin falcon fans on my 2 fords, are you in melbourne? i have one now trimmed down you could look at as you have to do similar mods to fit them on my '82 fords

if your considering something neat and aftermarket and prepared to pay the best brand on the market is spal

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

How much are we talking for the flex-lite ones? They look the business lol

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Assuming I have the right part number it looks like the Flex-a-lite 410 will cost you around USD $500 delivered from Summit.

The Flex-a-lite 410 is rated at 2500 cfm.

A single 16" fan is rated between 2350 cfm and 3000 cfm depending on the manufacturer and model.

The AU fans are rated at around 3800 cfm and cost around $250 for a new OEM Bosch motor unit. The aftermarket copies are cheaper but the motors are not Bosch.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 16 August 2010 - 02:25 PM.

#11 _sshatch355_

_sshatch355_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

yep lx2 is right there the 410 didnt realise they were that dear! i only paid $300 a few years back as a mate brought them for his firebird and they didnt fit so i brought him the single version and we swapped

the au,s are probably the cheapest way to go but there not a straight bolt up but they work amazingly but look ugly as all hell when butchered to fit imo. had them on my 355 vnss and stayed cool even during 45 degree peak hr traffic

#12 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

this is the only picture i have handy. i hope it helps.[IMG]https://cache.gmh-torana.com.au/i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/robrenjus/08082010641.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by robslxhatch, 16 August 2010 - 10:47 PM.

#13 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

Fixed image link from ^
Posted Image

#14 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

Thanks Andy i knew i had stuffed that image up , i'll figure it out one day!!:blink2:. Jass_hatch , you could go to your local wrecking yard and ask if they would give you a broken one that you could take away and 'trial fit' then once you know what you need to do you can do it to the new one. As far as being 'ugly as hell' i dont think they look that bad (not as nice as sshatch355's) .They look a little funny from underneath where it has been trimmed and the sides all but touch my unaltered chassis rails.

#15 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

Rob mate you had it 99% of the way there. All you needed to do was put some kind of space before the whole lot. You just put it straight after the full stop and that's no good; the coding isn't designed to work like that.

#16 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

thanks Heath. I have posted pictures before and not a problem , so when this one didn't work i had no idea why. Thats a mistake i wont be making again.

#17 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

Also have a look at the mondeos which are a far better fit than the AU's as they are a smaller twin fan assembly.They cost a bit more than the au's and are thinner if i remember but the cowling is kinda ugly.

#18 _deviot_

_deviot_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

+1 for the Mondeos if you don't mind the cowling.

I have them on my VH commodore (BOOOO!!!!) but they fitted well with a lot less cutting compared to the AU's.
Picked them up for $60-$80, a few relays and a thermometric switch and they do the job fine.
But as 1uzbt1 said they are abit ugly but the commodore is no show car.

#19 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

In my opinion there is not much difference in appearance between the Mondeo and AU fans.

AU
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mondeo
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

its more the fact that they are full of holes which the factory wiring harness snakes around.The fans are smaller aswell.

you can see in the second pic down in ls2lxhatch's post which is also a commy rad the size difference.
heres a set i fitted to a vk commy.
Posted Image

Edited by 1uzbt1, 18 August 2010 - 03:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users