MSD Atomic EFI to distributor issue ...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

G'day, trying to get an MSD Atomic running on my red 308. Having issues with my trigger signal to the Atomic EFI controller.

The dizzy I have is a Bosch electronic and ignition module ... see pic. I believe it's from a VS or so.

Now can I use this Bosch dizzy without the Bosch ignition module as I have a MSD-6AL. Is this possible or do I have to get an MSD dizzy?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Simmo

138307_zpsiv0cahfv.jpg

ATOMIC_zps8iaijqf9.png

The Mess ...

20150711_162130_zpszbfnrvoa.jpg

#2 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

That module is out of a VL-VT Holden EFI V8. With its matching distributor it is designed to work with the Delco EFI & ignition system. The distributor has no internal advance mechanism, either centrifugal or vacuum. All ignition timing is controlled by mapping programmed into the ECU.

Does the MSD Atomic system include any ignition advance mapping ? It looks to me like a simple throttle body injection system being timed of the negative coil terminal.  If this is the case just use a Blue/Black Holden HEI dissy.

A better system is something like the ICE programmable ignition system, but that might be a bit of overkill for TBI.

Dr Terry

#3 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

Thanks Dr Terry, you are spot on ... the car was running a Delco EFI but cannot find anyone to tune it in my area. So fitting the MSD Atomic EFI. Have ordered a MSD Dissy to make it easy for my simple mind.

The Atomic system controls ignition timing.

Cheers Simmo 

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:30 AM

There are always ways and means but if you're not making components yourself and looking to keep it simple then yeah replacing the dizzy with a magnetic pickup unit is going to be easiest. Also nice not to have to rely on the factory ignition module.

#5 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Where does the distributor connect in that diagram above ?

Dr Terry

#6 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:18 PM

This is my correct connection once the new dissy arrives.

121-2900-diagram_zpsultlv6di.jpg

#7 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

It goes ... have to lock up the dissy to allow the timing to be controlled by the ECU. Getting there.

#8 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

how do you lock up the dizzy ?

#9 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:34 AM

That makes sense, do you have the ability to change the reference angle so you can index the dizzy for best rotor to cap contact? How wide is the rotor tip, some aftermarket ones are quite narrow which might not be ideal for a wide range of timing advance.

It must come with a piece that is designed to lock it up, probably uses the adjustable advance limit/stop mechanism.

#10 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:23 AM

To lock the dissy you remove the springs + spacers as they are not required once locked. Remove pin holding the drive gear to allow the shaft to slide and rotate it 180deg then reinsert it. The advance stop pin will locate into a small hole on the advance plate, fit lock nut. Refit drive gear with pin and your done.

The rotor tip is quite narrow ... see pic.

msd_pro_billet_electronic_distributor_zp

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

Would be good if you can index the reference angle so the rotor tip is as close as possible to the correct post on the cap throughout the advance range (which also depends on your tune I guess, could be anywhere between 30 and 50 degrees variation). Would be good if a wider tip were available though, obviously its replaceable. Going to be doing an EFI conversion on mine at some stage and will be retaining my Accel dizzy (similar setup with narrow tip), its one of the things I'd like to improve as I know from experience it will happily cross fire to other posts on the cap if not set up right.

#12 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

Got it running but timing not so good ... talk to MSD tech and more MSD gear required ...

So now I'm getting an adjustable rotor for my MSD dissy as it's required for the EFI to run the timing properly.

Capture_zpsyjetou6g.jpg

#13 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Bugger, that's what I was talking about indexing - some EFI systems will allow you to change the reference angle in the computer, obviously you have to adjust the rotor manually.

#14 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:15 PM

Hopefully this sorts out everything ... getting alot of MSD in the car.

Atomic EFI

6AL

Dissy

Blaster coil

20150722_180228_zpsjh7pwswe.jpg

20150722_180206_zpsqg0mxset.jpg

20150711_162130_zpszbfnrvoa.jpg

DSCN4237_zps4d69eb6f.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users