DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Alright, I've been thinkin about starting this thread for a while now, so here it is.

What do you guys call 'RICE'.

Alot of people see any car built in Asia as a Ricer, but I reckon that's just a load of shit.

My cousin has a 1991 Toyota/Lexus Soarer, it has a TT 2.5L Straight 6, and it flys! It's metallic green with a grey cloth interior, and it's got creature comforts that you only get when you pay $70g + in today's cars, and it cost him $11g... I don't call that Rice, I call it a beautiful car.

Theres another Soarer in Whyalla, a white one, with metallic Blue wheels, a wing and a 'uge big orange vynil thing down the side. That is rice.

Anyway, I'm lookin forward to some responses...

RIM

#2 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

Rice is food. You usually eat rice with something else, then it is called a meal.
When rice is on its own, it sucks and has next to no nutritional value.

In terms of cars. Rice is when it looks fast/wants to look fast but goes nowhere. E.g oversized wings on the BACK for a FWD cars (downforce??), electronic Blow off valves (when they have no turbo).

#3 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

JBird, I agree.

My LJ is gunna have Green LED's in the front footwells. Completely pointless, but they'll look cool! They're Rice.

RIM

#4 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

alot of people wonder how come japanese cars suddenly became really sporty and popular about the late 80s/90s

well the facts are alot of the real car designers engineers etc from compainies like ferrari were either sacked or offered better paying jobs at nissan etc

along they came with there ideas for the engines and looks etc which has basically brought japan out of its datsun 180y days into the gtrs with the twin turbos etc

anything that has came from a jap is a riceburner

#5 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

Ohk then...

We can establish a 'Riceburner' as a Jap car, but what we are interested (or not interested) in is 'RICERS'.

There is a difference, most people will agree.

A Riceburner is any Jap car. An LX can be a Ricer...

RIM

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:31 PM

This topic has been done before.. many times.. and it causes alot of emotive argument.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread and if it becomes bad in any way it will be closed... Just so your warned!

RICE is a slang word that was created to describe the primarily japanese cars that tend to be "hotted up" with components that give no gains in power, handling, control or stopping ability, other than to make the car "look" better. Most of the rice accesories dont even do that well at all. The word being taken from "rice burner" - a staple asian food.

Rice accesories can include: LED lighted exhaust tips, Stickers for components and companies that have nothing to do with the car or anything installed on it, wings and other "aero" devices that will not and cannot work due to their shitty design.

Rice is not limitd to japanese cars but can be applied to any car that has these useless addornments.

Anyway.. beware of what you call Rice, there has been some nasty and heated discussion previously and we'll be watching.

#7 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:32 PM

'RICE' is something on a car that is EXTREMELY suspicious in its performance enhancing abilities.

'RICER' is someone who performs said modifications, (Generally will not admit that it was just for looks and say it "flows better" (the 6" canon muffler).

'Rice burner' - is an asian made car.

#8 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

Asians eat ALOT of rice, so i guess rice really mean anything asian. so anything built or manufactured in asia is a rice!

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:34 PM

EXTREMELY suspicious in its performance enhancing abilities.

hehe that means the Brock Commodores are rice :spoton:

#10 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:35 PM

Tiny, I had a squiz through the Off Topic and General Discussion forums, and didn't find anything, so I started one.

I agree with every comment you made completely, EXCEPT!

other than to make the car "look" better.

It SHOULD read. "Other than to make the car look 'better'"

haha. Feel free to shut it down when you feel the need, I was just bored and wanted to get some opinions.

RIM

#11 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

TOTALLY agree with Tiny!

#12 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

i disagree, i think a drifting high powered asian car would be classified as rice, its got the looks plus the grunt. To me rice is more of a description of a car scene.

cheers julian

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:46 PM

My view used to be that a riced up car was one that was modified for visual and/or audible reasons ONLY. Which would also mean that an A9X body kit on a stock Torana would also be riced up.

I'll keep looking at this thread, but probably won't add further to it.

#14 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:51 PM

hmmm a9x body kit being riced up, thats a tough one to beat. but if u look at a jap car, they have the BIG spoiler n big wheels n big everything n it just looks stupid, outa propotion. whereas the body kit doesnt make the car look try hardish, but more mean

#15 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:52 PM

Exactly. And an A9X 'kit on Stockies looks shit anyway... If you have the Flares, you usually have the wheels, and you usually have SOMETHING decent under the bonnet.

Julian, would you call the CAPA drift cars Rice?

RIM

#16 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:53 PM

No, sammy. If you look at a Riced Jap car, they have the Big spoiler n big wheels and big everything.

RIM

#17 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:57 PM

no because they are holdens, but like allot of high performance cars these days, they have been tainted by rice.

Dont get me wrong, rice isnt always a bad thing. Just in moderation.

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

I suppose if I changed my view to visual and/or audible mods that were over the top, that might sit better with the masses.

#19 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

Dont get me wrong, rice isnt always a bad thing. Just in moderation.

Amen. A bit of rice is great, but theres a pretty fine line.

RIM

#20 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

I think rice and its meaning is a personal thing. What it means to one person is totally oposite to anothers view, and im very comfortable with that.

Just dont get me started on the mini truck rodeo thingy with the air bags in the rear and 1.5 litre whatever motor. ( damn , ive fired myself up )

#21 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

I woudlnt class fitting A9x flares and scoop to a std torry as ricing it up because it kind of was an option back when the car was new.

What i would class as ricing it up what a picture on a brown UC ( i think it was??) with a huge "T" type rear wing, stickers all over etc.. i would class that as having been "riced up"

Again i believe the mods that serve no functional use or really dont enhance the look of the car is riced... Ive seen some SHOCKING body kits on cars and yet ive seen some tasteful ones.. Though i guess whats good looking to me probably wont be to others!

On the matter of stereo systems... a $5000 stereo in a $500 corolla i class as rice... My monaro contains a 15" subwoofer and a 1000W amp ( and has some new DOOF DOOF to go in one day). but i dont belive that this turns my car into a ricer....

Cheers!

#22 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:14 PM

one of those HJ's with the 13b from mazda, is that rice, riced or a ricer

EDIT; or the ultimate payback for all those wank wank jokes.

Edited by ALX76, 01 November 2006 - 10:16 PM.

#23 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

[QUOTE] No, sammy. If you look at a Riced Jap car, they have the Big spoiler n big wheels and big everything.

i think ur confused, thats exactly wat i said. if u put the body kit on a standard torrie, thats not ricing it, chopper said it could be, but look wat others hav said.
wha size wheels u talking bout putting on anyway, no bigger than 15's on a torrie i reckon, even 14.
if people put non genuine holden or watever make parts on their car its riced, original always looks better. thats why a body kit on a torana would not be riced up cos its mean to be there, if u choose.
putting aeroplane wings n truck wheels with 10"exhaust is ricing it

#24 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

Hi all,
This is the site that I first found the term rice boys,
What is a Rice Boy?

Brians Rice Boy Page explains that this term is not exclusivly for Asian built cars,
but for any car that has "suspect performance modifications"

eg. HSV stickers on a Torana, must give it at least 12.5% performance increase, ROFL
OR a Honda with a NISMO sticker on the rear window, wow huge power increase.

Cheers
Chris

edit had to add this quote,
I think sums it up,

"What sets apart Rice-Boys from normal performance enthusiasts is that they are more concerned with the image of speed than they are about actual performace."

Edited by big chris, 01 November 2006 - 10:41 PM.

#25 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

they have the BIG spoiler n big wheels n big everything n it just looks stupid, outa propotion.

You mean like V8 supercars? :blink:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users