Photo

What IS A Ricer...

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#26 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

Before a lot of the 'young pups' on this forum were born (post 1990), and before the days of 'Fast and the Furious', the term rice was used to identify any ASIAN car with 'Dickhead mods' ie huge tail pipe, huge wing etc, this was not used for any other car made outside of ASIA.

Every new generation has their own meaning for words, so no one conclusion to the question 'What is a Ricer' can be agreed upon, I say let it rest.

#27 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:02 PM

i agree there any thing powered by or built in asian including motocycles
was rice or should i say is rice

Edited by dave720gtr, 01 November 2006 - 11:15 PM.

#28 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:11 PM

so can we call a stock aussie car with a body kit and loud exhaust and no engine mods a "MEATPIE" or "meat and 3 veg" i.e a stock v6 dunnydore with a ss kit.

#29 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

CD or larger size exhaust
Shopping list down the side of the car
Rear wing that should be on an over sized shopping trolley
Neons under the car etc

The Slow and Fictitious movie has a lot to answer for.

#30 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:24 PM

so can we call a stock aussie car with a body kit and loud exhaust and no engine mods a "MEATPIE" or "meat and 3 veg" i.e a stock v6 dunnydore with a ss kit.

no thats still the wank factor.

#31 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:45 AM

Why not call suspect moded cars STUPID instead of RICE?

I think RICE started from what was said earlier in this thread, asians eat ALOT of rice so when you see an asian car you called it RICE, same way aussies call soccer WOG BALL.

I honestly beleive its a racial comment, well it originated as a racial comment but nower days it could meen anything.

John

#32 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:04 AM

Im with ToranaSS ^(i know Ive said it all before in the other threads that Tiny mentions), the term started off as completely racial and is still used in that way.......see how long any motoring commentator would last on TV if they used the term RICER to describe a fast asian car......theyd be sent home faster than Dean Jones.
Honestly, racism at the lowest levels picks on a trait of the race and denigrates it to the extreme.
What do we see in the school yard or even as sledging(yes its racial) on the cricket field:
Im sure the expressions "curry eaters" "turban heads" have been thrown at the indian and Sri Lankan teams by the aussies, just as at primary school "skips" wanting to denigrate Italians would scream "spaghetti head" ......whatever. The term RICE is also used and intended to be used in a derogatory sense as described in the earlier posts: to describe a diet that is boring and lacking in nutrional value(dont know if that is quite true) and inferior to a western diet of meat etc
No one wants to be labelled as racist, whether the term RICER is used widely now by revheads to label cars that they see as "all show and no go" is no justification for continuing to use language that in the general community would be judged to denigrate a particular racial group. One should look to see if the can raise their own personal standards above the lowest common denominator.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 02 November 2006 - 05:08 AM.

#33 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

Rodomo: V8 Supercars have the grunt to back up the Big wheels, Kit and everything...

Therefore it's not rice.

On the subject of pointless stickers, theres a VU Ute in Cowell with a Ford sticker on it.

RIM

#34 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

the term started off as completely racial and is still used in that way

Honestly, racism at the lowest levels picks on a trait of the race and denigrates it to the extreme.
What do we see in the school yard or even as sledging(yes its racial) on the cricket field:

The term RICE is also used and intended to be used in a derogatory sense

No one wants to be labelled as racist, whether the term RICER is used widely now by revheads to label cars that they see as "all show and no go" is no justification for continuing to use language that in the general community would be judged to denigrate a particular racial group. One should look to see if the can raise their own personal standards above the lowest common denominator.

Are you speaking for yourself when you made this comment, the term rice was never used as a racial attack on the person/group, it is merely a slang name given to the type of car. If you fell it is a racial attack don't use it.

How can you say it is racist against the person when there are probably more 'Skippy's' (that is the racists term for an Australian) driving around in these cars now!

#35 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:23 AM

AFAIK, 'Rice' has never been intended as a racial comment. It started as 'Rice Burners', then 'Rice' was coined as the pointless mods found on (but not exclusively) on Japanese cars.

RIM

#36 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:33 AM

Yeah,
As far as Iam conserned a ricer is a 4 cylinder with big tyres,wings, tailpipe etc of jap hertiage.
Even If it may go OK it's still called rice in my book.

I even consider a rex to come under the banner of rice. This may well be incorrect but it's my take on the term.

And I don't believe that it's ment as a racist remark. We (as the community in general) are to worried about up setting other races with these types of remarks.

I was bought up in a racist era. I believe I am much more tollerant of this now except when the temper is up over things done to aussies by raciest from other countries/religons.

Bit of topic there at the end. Sorry!

#37 _wrecker67_

_wrecker67_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:34 AM

i think it all started years ago,,there were lots of petrol heads with there big v8 etc getting some what upset by fast jap cars,,i do think the old rotary days had a lot to do with this now a day "rice"cars,we love our old tough cars and no mater how many turbo'ed jap cars fly by me,i still have a smile on my face cruising in the torry..........cheers :spoton:

#38 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

Poor choice of topic. Every time one of these has been started in the past it has gone off the rails, including one post where the WRX Forum joined in and added their 2c worth.

Every car has it merits and weaknesses, including the old Torries, just the way it is. I like driving them all.

#39 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:01 AM

RIM i agree with u on that one, the v8 supercars have the grunt, plus their wings n wheels etc arent huge like u see on the jap cars. they are big enough to make the car at its best performance.
ricer aint a racist comment, its just a slang, my folks say calling an italian a 'wog' is racist, but nowadays, people say it n it doesn bother them.
ricers will always be the cars that will flex their muscles but have no strength.

#40 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:06 AM

ricers will always be the cars that will flex their muscles but have no strength.

Well Said.

GTR Flutes are rice... the vents in all VE's guards are rice. Almost every car you can point out will have small 'rice' aspects, wether it be GTR flutes or Huge big spoilers and wheels.

RIM

#41 _1TUFSLR_

_1TUFSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

Ricers hey lol :tease:

well i see the cars as pieces of sh*t lol.... u have to give them points for effort wen they come next to u at the lights.. with there so called fully sick sound system that is worth mre then the car and nearly blows the car apart....some massive tip... to make the car sound louder... a wing that is big enough to be a washing line to hang your clothes on lol.... and to top it off they wnt to race u which i love :D ....

my logic for them is that they are like an easter egg all nice and pritty on the outside but underneath theres nothing, haha its a joke if u tell me .... they all try to make there cars sound loud and stuff.... but it will never have the rumble of a V8 if u tell mee :spoton:

People might disagree but thats wat i think !!!!

Edited by 1TUFSLR, 02 November 2006 - 10:15 AM.

#42 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:37 AM

1TUFSLR :clap: thats all we needed to hear. you couldn be more right.
they have big accessories n fancy this n that, al becasue they really have a small, pee pee. all those try hards n think they own the road. but really they dont have a thing.

#43 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:34 AM

hey RIM, seeing you like the xJZ engines so much, here is a pic of a 2JZ swap we did into a SC400
2JZ swap

#44 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

About "rice" being a racial slur I don't think so. It used to be when holdens and fords ruled the streets and laughed at RA22 celicas ... but nowadays It is used to describe "performance modifications etc.".

Just so you know, I'm asian and I don't find it offensive.

#45 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

Ricer ??

That's the really fast blue thing parked in the driveway next to my torry. :spoton:

Welby

#46 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

I agree its NOT a racial comment now as such it was when i first used it when i was 18 in my 308 torry and a shitty RX3 would pass me..(i then had to by 1 or 2 or 3, i actualy went rotory mad for a stage)..

What it MEANS now to what it first MENT are 2 different things but very similar.. Like said befor calling someone a WOG now cam be a compliment were as 15 years ago it was derogatory..

By the way i love my asian food specialy Fried Rice...

John

Edited by TORANASS, 02 November 2006 - 12:51 PM.

#47 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:14 PM

true about the WOG, however some would still take that as offensive..

#48 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:18 PM

Makka, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Love it.

I prefer 1J's though...

RIM

#49 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

The word WOG originally meant Western Oriental Gentleman, the term these days has always been slang for an Italian/Greek etc. I have never used it as a derogatory word and never believed it was, growing up in Fremantle in the early 90's the majority of my mates were Wogs.

#50 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:13 PM

I often think rice could be a temporary 'state of mind' where you temporarily didnt think about the mods you where doing to your car.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users