HK Bathurst Monaro up for auction this today

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:22 PM

Shannons are auctioning off THIS very desirable unrestored 1 owner Monaro today in the hero colour Warwick Yellow. l think their buyers range is a little conservatove especially given the media attention this car has received and its probably almost unique given that ist 1 owner, unrestored and Warwick Yellow.

Is anybody attending the auction this afternoon in Sydney?

Be curious to see what the car goes for, l reckon $155k :spoton:

Edited by Mondie, 05 November 2006 - 12:23 PM.

#2 _bones_

_bones_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

I think the guide of $100-130K is conservative as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see in excess of $150K.

The one I have is a 3 owner car with a very early body number and it needs repainting. I wouldn't sell mine for the range they are talking.

Bones

#3 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:01 PM

I was speaking to a gentleman yesterday that claims to have an inside source at Shannons and supposedly they've have had pre-auction offers of 200K+ already before the auction takes place.....

#4 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:23 PM

200+k? I think i should have kept mine! I sold it to finance a SS hatch.
Come to think of it, nah! I got more than 200k of fun from the hatch

#5 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:53 PM

I saw the HK monaro on Friday night at the Shannons display (at the Sydney Motor Show). Whilst I no expert on Monaro's, it looked perfect. I think it will set a new record. Will be interested to see what it goes for. Cheers Mick.

#6 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

I want to paint a torana warwick yellow. its hot.

#7 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

200k + thats alot of money for a car hey crazy

#8 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:00 PM

I was speaking to a gentleman yesterday that claims to have an inside source at Shannons and supposedly they've have had pre-auction offers of 200K+ already before the auction takes place.....

Thats pretty amazing, very interested to see the final sale price then. l think it looks horn, especially in that colour.

#9 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

there are some nice cars in that auction...........if only i had a lazy million somewhere........

#10 _Homer.J_

_Homer.J_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:55 PM

It sold for $220,000.00
2 guys at the end from about 130k just kept going for it.
I'm guess it's a record, haven't heard of any getting close to that.

Homer.J

#11 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:09 PM

The gentleman I was speaking to's source must have been genuine as 220K was the figure he told me had been offered......when he was telling me I was thinking to myself "who pays 220K for a 2dr Kingswood?" particularly one that never saw any track time.

Its an amazing result for the owner of the car and I guess who ever gets commission from the sale........I guess it will push HK-T-G monaro prices up further out of reach from the average guy and turn the rest that are owned into "too valuable to drive" pieces of artwork.

Well at the end of the day they haven't made these cars for 30+ years, its about time some Holden stuff caught up to Ford Phase3 prices. Shame banks won't let ya borrow against them like a house!!

#12 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:15 PM

Anyone know what the E38 charger went for....love that vitamin C orange.....Simon if that HK 327 went for 220K I reckon I might have to make enquiries with Shannons and list my car with them....the figure I suggested to you after the Nats I reckon is possible....I just have to get the right buyer/ or place to advertise it.

scooter

#13 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

E38 $120K
Mustang GT 500 $189K
Mustang GT 350H $145K

#14 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:01 PM

C'mon Scooter you tease.

We are all mates here. What's the asking price??

Welby

#15 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

Hi A9X....seeing as you say we are all mates on here I can honestly say I don't know what my price is.....I have toyed with advertising the car and putting what I thought would be a silly price and see what happened but when you see cars like the warick yellow monaro going for 220 I reckon my car would have to be in a similar class. Can someone tell me if the term "Bathurst Monaro" is a bit of a misnomer??? I thought there was no such car??? I can at least say my car is listed as one of the 150 produced and is matching numbers with an added bonus of unique trim... any thoughts???

#16 _Homer.J_

_Homer.J_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hi scooter, what's all your deatils on your car?

Also that monaro was a one owner, very original, with all books & low K's in probably the most desirable colour. There's not many of those around.

I think most other 327 monaro's would be lucky to get past the $100-$120k barrier.

Homer.J

#17 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:02 PM

Come on Scooter, what do you have? K,T,G?
I thought leaf sprung rears were ok until i bought my first SLR!
How did feiord get away with it for so long?
6 1/2 " FATS didn't help much either! Teehee!

#18 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:07 PM

Scooter,

The key with this car was that it was low mileage unrestored, one owner and in the most desirable colour. 200k is still pretty damn amazing though, lucky Shannons aren't selling real estate because doubling their buyers range in Vic would seem them in deep shite :<_<:

#19 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

well what that does is drag all the lesser lights up the value ladder,i have a factory 307 4 speed option in top nic with books, a rarer combo than the 327 option, thats right option, will i be putting in a shannons auction ? maybe, and i take offence at the 2 door (kingswood )tag thats crap , then the same can be said of all makes and models,inc the 2 door commies??? cheers daz

#20 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:14 PM

Scooter has a 73 Bathurst XU-1, which came with brown trim instead of Black...

RIM

#21 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

2 door Commies are Monaro's...

RIM

#22 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:27 PM

and i take offence at the 2 door (kingswood )tag thats crap

No need to take any offense mate, We all know how nice a car an early Monaro is..........I was just quoting from the Shannons Website........

The original Monaro was launched back in 1968 as the hardtop coupe version of the Kingswood sedan,

Its a great result for the car, Its amazing the level of wealth growing in Australia that enables guys to be able to lay down such big bucks for cars.

How long before we see an Australian Muscle Car reach $1 million????? The Americans have Hemi Cudas changing hands for $5M at the top money.

#23 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:33 PM

Mondie,appreciate all of what you say about low klms,one owner,good colour etc...all of which I agree but no one has answered my question about is there such a beast as a "Bathurst Monaro" and if not I reckon the owner would be over the moon with the price it reached. My car has had 3 prev owners b4 me and it has as you know all the right bits/peices but it is one of only 150 cars produced so I reckon the 73 Bathurst xu-1 will if given the right market place reach towards those dizzy heights....my opinion only....

scooter

PS: I wil try and link pics of the car...here goes!!!!

http://rides.webshot...363628270vRBHXg

#24 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:40 PM

i think it will allways be a case of supply and demand for any type of aus muscle car that one was one out of the box. whats moffatts no9 car worth ? brocks 73 no1 xu1? no supply big demand BIG dollars, so i think i will be hanging on to mine for a while longer(nice nest eggs)!! happy munro and hdt xu1 owner

#25 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:57 PM

Supply and demand is always the key thats for sure......

This auction as it was told only had two buyers over the predicted price range.............meaning two guys wanted it badly enough to go as high as they did. The car still probably only has a book value of the predicted price range, it was fortunate to have 2 wealthy people wanting it just as bad as each other and an auction process always achieves the highest possible outcome when there is the demand like this one acheived.

As much as I wish I did I don't have a spare couple of hundred thousand dollars sitting around to be spent on cars.....and I assume there's only a select few among us that do.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users