HK Bathurst Monaro up for auction this today

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:02 PM

and i take offence at the 2 door (kingswood )tag thats crap , then the same can be said of all makes and models,inc the 2 door commies??? cheers daz

I've been hearing them called that for well over 20 years. Sometimes it could be made as a direct insult, but most times it's simply taken in jest. I own a pair of UC Toranas and don't mind people reffering to them as Ugly Cars.

#27 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

(BATHURST MONARO),(bathurst pacer,e38,e49 xu1,gt)each company had to make a certain number of option packaged cars to reach production car status before you could put one on the track,everyone knows this , so to me unless the car has proven race history, it is an option package ie xu1 327/350 ect ect, any thoughts?? cheers daz

#28 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

Heres my 2 bobs worth. I own a 9/71 lc xu1 and as far as I'M concerned. " i own a 71 bathurst torana". I dont give a shit what anyone else says or thinks of what it is or is NOT. and as long as i can remember, a 9/71 is a bathurst special. Just like a 9/72 And a 9/73. They are all bathurst specials. I probaly wont sell my lc so it is really only discussion..Good Evening.

#29 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

(BATHURST MONARO),(bathurst pacer,e38,e49 xu1,gt)each company had to make a certain number of option packaged cars to reach production car status before you could put one on the track,everyone knows this , so to me unless the car has proven race history, it is an option package ie xu1 327/350 ect ect, any thoughts?? cheers daz

Would you like some tomato sauce with that can of worms you just opened? This has the potential to turn very un-civilised, so I'll be steering clear of this.

#30 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

scooter if your car was a one owner , unrestored ,low milage with log books then yes you would fetch serious bucks ,,,

unfortunitly its none of the above ...

as for the HK 327 bathurst monaro , yes it did win a victory at bathurst in its day and this is why it is valued more than the HT and HG models ...

#31 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

Whats the big deal about one owner cars?

RIM

#32 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

A 1966 car is 40 years old whether it's had one owner or 100. The market values one owner cars higher, so that's the way it goes.

#33 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

well i believe (scooter) asked the ( bathurst )question , i for one wont be getting bent out of shape about this one bit ,my two bobs worth as well ,besides i like worms there usefull, with sauce or without!cheers daz :spoton:

#34 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:45 PM

Whats the big deal about one owner cars?

RIM

Buying an old car with a known history is obviously important and getting your hands on a one owner is as good as it gets in that regard.

l am not sure what the point of the Bathurst question is :huh:

#35 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

Yeah, true. My LJ has only had 3 registered owners including me.

RIm

#36 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

getting your hands on a one owner is as good as it gets in that regard.

wish i had of bought mine new

#37 _bones_

_bones_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

HK 327 won in 1968, HT 350 won in 1969.
A bit of 327 triva,
Bruce McPhee purchased a HK 327 in 1968, he and his wife drove it from Wyong to Sandown to run it in. He raced it and came about 6th, he then drove it back home. A few weeks later he drove it out to Bathurst, practiced, raced and won all on the same set of tyres he put on the car before his journey to Sandown.
The HK 327 was the first car to break 3 minutes around Bathurst.

Some friends of mine said I was mad paying $7000 for a HK 327 nearly 10 years ago. Even for $220K mine is not for sale.

#38 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,484 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:04 PM

I still think the most desirable combo for the GTS327 is silver mink with red interior
Its my all time horn favourite and I have 2 spare testicles for anyone that will give me an example as nice as the Warrick Yellow one

I guess I shouldn't have sold my Warrick Yellow 186S GTS (white interior - power steer) all those years ago hey

#39 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

And I should've bought the Phase II for $20K when I had the chance. Or the $5K LJ XU-1...

#40 _Los_

_Los_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:02 PM

Scooter,

The 'Bathurst Monaro' tag has been heavily debated on other forums, I think with the general consensus being that if the actual car was raced at bathurst it could be called a 'bathurst Monaro' otherwise it is just a 327GTS. Not sure of the reasoning, just what I have read.

Cheers

#41 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:11 PM

I thought it was short for bathurst homologation(spelling), meaning any monaro or torana that was sold with the specs that made the race cars eligible.

#42 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

Scooter,

The 'Bathurst Monaro' tag has been heavily debated on other forums, I think with the general consensus being that if the actual car was raced at bathurst it could be called a 'bathurst Monaro' otherwise it is just a 327GTS. Not sure of the reasoning, just what I have read.

Cheers

yeha i agree bathurst cars raced on the track

#43 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:12 PM

Scooter, i think you should put your price on it, when you are ready to sell.

The 110 K paid for the Valencia A9X, this 220K and some of the other money asked for and received for these classics will certainly have an affect.

I know of 2 mates who have cash burning a hole in their pockets looking for immaculate examples of these cars.

I know 110k for a 73 XU1 is currently on the table here in Perth.

Welby

#44 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:46 PM

Rang Shannons today to find out about their fees for auction and nearly fell off my chair when they told me.....they hit you with a fee of $450.00 or $550.00 if you want a reserve on your car....then wait for it....an 11% commission is payable on the final price achieved for the car....it certainly takes a fair chunk out of the price achieved for the seller....I think I would take out a half page add in Unique cars $400.00 odd dollars or so ...lot cheaper than paying over 20K in commissions on a 220K sale....The $450 or $550.00 entitles you to have the car in the showroom(St Leonards) Sydney for a few weeks prior to auction.... any thoughts???

#45 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

Given that the price guide of the HK GTS just sold was estimated at 100-130K and it acheived 220K is a fair indication of their ability to fetch top dollar for your car, provided there is buyers with pockets full of cash really wanting your car.

I think 11% is a lot of a final sale price, are they negotiable on the commission at all? Gotta remember if it reaches well over what you were expecting then you will still end up better after paying the high commission.

Maybe test the waters out amongst to club folk?......I'm sure the big spenders are involved in clubs or know of people who know people etc and you should get an idea on what to expect.

I'm afraid Peter Brock's unfortunate passing will help bring out the trophy hunters with deep pockets who want a piece of history in the collection..........not that there is anything wrong with that.

And you've got to ask yourself if you want to replace it in the future will the money you get for it today be able to buy it back tomorrow?.....I'm sure we've all got cars we wished we never sold!!

#46 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:05 PM

I would rather have a car which was owned by fewer owners and has history than one that dosn't anyday! :spoton:

#47 _gmp&a_

_gmp&a_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

i think it will allways be a case of supply and demand for any type of aus muscle car that one was  one out of the box. whats moffatts no9 car worth ? brocks 73 no1 xu1? no supply big demand BIG dollars, so i think i will be hanging on to mine for a while longer(nice nest eggs)!! happy munro and hdt xu1 owner

Brocks 73 XU1 sold recently for near 500k. Just shows you; Nothing may be for sale, but everything has a price.

#48 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

What is Brock's 79 A9X worth...

Priceless.

RIM

#49 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:47 PM

In the unlikely event it is ever up for sale, the owner will ask whatever price he feels like it. And will get it within a fortnight.

#50 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

Exactly.

RIM