19 replies to this topic

#1 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

just a querie, what do people think of the new line of holden thats come out?
pretty good or wats goin on?
i think newer cars are getting bigger n bigger, i like my small but big torana, just crusies in n out everywhere.
so this thread is wat do people think of the new look of holdens?

#2 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:58 PM

The new Commodores are probably the size of the HQ-HZ Holdens where the VB-VL Commodores are like the EJ-HG Holdens and the LH-UC Toranas.

I would prefer a small car with more power like my 1200 kg SL/R 5000 rather than my 1600 kg VX V6.

The VX is my wifes car and I also have a 253 VH as a daily which is somewhere in between, until I get a 308 for it that is.

James

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

With a population that is steadily getting fatter, a car with more interior room would be very appealing to the lard arses out there.

#4 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:21 PM

personally the new car doesnt appeal to me as much as early commodores

wider cars are great provide more room and so on but the spoiler :blink: dont know what they were thinking

wish L76 was being put in 15 years ago thou :cry:

#5 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:52 AM

I've got a mate who works at the Holden Dealership up here, so naturally i get to test drive the latest and greatest of Holden's offerings...

I've driven every model from the VX onwards, and to compare a VX to the VE is like putting a moped against a SL55 AMG Mercedes. The new commodore (i drove the Calias-V V8) is more than 100 giant leaps ahead of the VX model. And VY and VZ too... It drives and handles heaps better, there is less cabin noise and it's just such a joy to poke around in... And lets just say it puts some of the 'Quicker' cars to shame at the traffic lights...

I've been for a ride in the new SS, and the Omega too, both stunning cars. If i was to chose, i'd take the Calais over any of the others! But i think the SS gets my interior tick of approval as it does have a sort-of sporty look to it ha ha!

I'm not a fan of the smaller holdens (barina is a puss bucket and Viva can shove it, Tigra is crap....), i would choose either a Vectra V6 or a Commodore. Daewoo has given holden some crap cars and i think they should be removed from the holden lineup and holden should go back to japan for their barina.

Cheers
Keith

#6 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:24 AM

Barina was from Spain..

------------

^^ agree the car is a leap forward, given the local constraints.

I have to say I am really disappointed with the styling.
Its a personal thing I know, but I dont think they did as much
as they could have, given pretty much a clean slate.

Too Falconish for my liking. They must have shat themselves
when BA came out, given they were already way down the track.

From what I have read though, the current batch of Falcons
and the new Commode aren't too far from each other in regards
to testing, which means the Falc is either really good, or the Commode
is not as good as they would have us believe.

But I hope Australia supports it, even though the local market is fast
becomming a moot point. Indeed I hope Aust. supports all our locally
produce or assembled cars, as so many jobs depend on them.

Gonna be harder and harder to sell 6Ltr V8s as time progresses.
At least the Fraud people have a factory LPG car that is sorted,
and Toyota have some hybrids starting to roll out. What have GMH done?
Gone the opposite end of the scale!!

Glad I'm not making the decisions at any of the car manufacturers.
With the lead times, a decision 5 years ago can be waaay out at release.

My 2c.

Oh, and yes I like it.

#7 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

With a population that is steadily getting fatter, a car with more interior room would be very appealing to the lard arses out there.

I resemble that comment!!

As for the styling of the new holdens... Its something that doesnt grab me one way or the other.

When the VT and AU came out i thought they were dead set the ugliest things on the road.. and to a degree i still belive that! The new commies didnt grab me instantly as WOW.. or anything.. nor did they turn my stomach!
But the hot models are growing on me and i saw an SS the other day with some kind of enhancement kit ( an odd badge that i didnt know) that i thought looked really nice!

As for the engineering side of it.. Dr Terry was good enough to show me a few of the better features at a calais they had at the EH day, and i must say i think they've really thought things out alot better. I just hope that the engineering principles behind it all and the "accelerated testing" proves to create a strong and long-lived car.

Cheers.

#8 _scotty720gtr_

_scotty720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:29 PM

I think it's a ripper! I do think think though that the styling team were influenced
by BMW though. The front is very BMWish.

That said, influence has to come from somewhere and who better to be influenced by than the Germans (for cars that is).

You have to admit though, it looks bloody awsome in race trim. Can't wait for them to be on the ciruits next year.

On a completely different note, did everyone here about the find in the roof??

Peter perfects famous padock basher ( the one he raced around his farm as a twelve year old) has been located in a roof somewhere and his heading to the Peter Brock foundation.

#9 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:41 PM

Wasn't the suppose'd PB's first car on eBay for a while? Up to something like $6k before pics were even put up?

RIM

#10 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

I like the new commodores. It's a shame there just isn't that BIG a market as before for it. With roads being as small as they are and dense popoulation I don't see the new commodore taking off for people who live in the major cities. Smaller cars or even bikes have taken over.

Having said that the HSV VE's have been selling like hot cakes apparently. The waiting list for a GTS is about 5 Months and they've sold (HSV) more cars this quarter than any other quarter previously for a long time.

I think the design platform for this commodore has allowed for this and there are a lot of things that seperate each model now apart from the engine and body kit!

I've yet to drive one but everyone who has says it really is a great car and in many respects has caught up the ride and drive quality of some of BMW's and Mercs.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the pricing. An SS-V costs somewhere around 60k :blink: . I don't think they'll sell that many because for about 10k more you can have a clubsport. Then for another 15 you can have a GTS.

#11 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:15 PM

yeah brocky's first car was found in a factory shed roof, i think morabbin, not 100% sure. they gonna fix it up so that it runs again, for some event thats coming up.
hahahah loved the comment bout cars needing to be bigger cos of the increase in fat lardes! gold! from wat people have said so far its sounds pretty good, i love the look of the new line of utes, and interior is very mean.
but the omega i not a big fan of the body, cars a losing their individually too much these days i feel. the new mitsibishi looks like the omega, i always gotta look twice if i pass a mitsibishi cos i think its a holden. up close u know wat it is, but from a distance u really gotta look at it to work it out.
also, petrol isnt as expensive as it was before, i heard that it will get to bout 90c a litre by christmas i reckon it will. gas is cheap still but if everyone gets the govt subsidy to convert, the price could go up, who knows what the govt will hit us with.

#12 _jake_

_jake_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:49 PM

i like the guards how they flare out, inside there is so much room its unbeleivable, and its a really smooth ride too

#13 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

i heard that they were leaning towards BMW type styling to interest the international market but quite honestly i thing they have a long way to go yet.

#14 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

Hi Guys.

Leakey said:- "Gonna be harder and harder to sell 6Ltr V8s as time progresses.
At least the Fraud people have a factory LPG car that is sorted,
and Toyota have some hybrids starting to roll out. What have GMH done?
Gone the opposite end of the scale!!

On the 6 litre sales issue, the hi-performance variants are currently outstripping supply, not to mention HSV, which has just had its biggest sales month ever.

Holden DO have a factory LPG option, it wasn't available at the VE launch, but it is now. The VZ had a similar unit available. Unlike Ford's old-fashioned LPG mixer, the Holden unit has vapour injection.

The Barina from 1985 to 1993 was a Japanese Suzuki swift, from 1993 to 2005 it was a Spanish-built Opel/Vauxhall Corsa & the current unit is from GMDAT Korea. It was badged the Daewoo Kalos in a previous life. The current Barina is selling its sock's off, has very few warranty issues & Holden is actually turning a profit out of them, whereas the previous Opel-based cars were expensive to service & Holden had very little margin to enable them to compete with all the other Asian imports.

What's with all the GM-H 'bashing', isn't this a Holden fan's forum.

Dr Terry.

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:40 PM

It is a loosely Holden based ( Torana specific ) forum, but that doesn't mean we sweep all the stuff we don't like under the carpet.

#16 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

I just expressed my view guys! I'm not a fan of the GM-Daewoo range, that doesnt mean i dont like the other new holdens! How many cars do they have on offer now? Heaps!!

I've always been a fan of the Swift based Barina, there's heaps of them driving around! My girlfriend has one with 350 000km on the clock on the original motor - and it doesnt use oil or blow smoke! Plus you can dip a cloth in petrol and drive 200km on the vapour alone!!

Keith

#17 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:41 PM

the new commodores just like all of them do not do a thing for me, they are shapeless and unexciting lines just bore me to sleep

if holden spent 1 billion bucks on this car then it must be in the driveline as the body musta been made out of something found in the bin

just like the first of the commodores

i reckon just about any car made from about 1979 onwards just doesnt look natural

however there are starting to show such distinctive lines again such as the new chev corvette , camaro concept, dodge challenger concept and the ford mustang

meanwhile holden and ford aust are trying to think of how can they make there cars look more like the other (i geuss thats also why im sick and tired of the v8 supercars)

the only good thing the new commonwhore has going good for it is its 6 litre engine plant

#18 _Golden VL_

_Golden VL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

I'm not really into any Holdens past the VL. (although I don't mind VSs/VXs and VEs)

I dunno, but I like all early model Commodores and older Holdens.

IMO the VL was the last Holden to have a "Retro" feel to it.

Edited by Golden VL, 09 November 2006 - 05:30 PM.

#19 _SUPALJ_

_SUPALJ_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

Hi guys I think the new commode is EUROTRASH. looks like an over sized Vectra or that crap Torana concept shitbox. Just my 2c worth.

Cheers SUPALJ

#20 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

im with supa lj on this

comodores out
camaros in!

i think it pretty much sums it up

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users