What after market Auto shifter do you use??

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

I have been thinking of getting a ratchet type shifter but i'm not sure what type, can anyone give me any idea's on what's good and what's not also the Pro's & Con's.

#2 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

Hey mate, i run a BnM Pro Ratchet shifter on my 308 LH, is great for quick shifting and race changing, unable to go past nuetral so it saves your ass if ur a hard shifter,

Only things that #$^% me, to get to reverse you have to lift the lever which stops over shifting, if u need to get in reverse quickly in can be a pain, but to me, the good out ways the bad.

I had to fit a light, so it would be legal and Roadworthy, and because they are an american shifter, the decals are on the left .

Still, i love it, good investment
Heres so pics
Pro Ratchet
Pro Ratchet 1

Cheers
JNR_ATE

Edited by JNR_ATE, 05 November 2006 - 08:32 PM.

#3 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

I drove my brother's LH a couple of years ago, he has a B&M star or mega not sure the exact model but it to was a pain in the ass to change into reverse as well, this is the only thing i don't like about them.

JNR_ATE you said that you had to put a light it in to make it legal and roadworthy, is it ok to have the indicator on the LHS? Thanks for the pic's it looks good and i like where the tacho sits, neat.

#4 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

JNR 8 you can get b&m shifters with the indicator on the right hand side.

#5 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:10 AM

i run a B&M pro rachet, good shifter luv it :spoton: quicksilver is also very good too.

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:28 PM

i got a b&m pro ratchet.

pros: bguckin awesome!
cons: havnt found one yet.

#7 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

i have a pro stick in mine, nice shifter, but the lock out for getting back to reverse and park is a bit of a pain in the butt

but the shift is awesome :spoton:

#8 _wombat_

_wombat_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

got a pro stick in drag car and its 2 hands for reverse lock out,not that bad with shifter between legs. hurst promatic in torrie good for rachet shifting with reverse pattern valve body,just a simple lift up for reverse and park.

#9 _bodallafella_

_bodallafella_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

I like the B&M megashifter best for the street. It's a ratchet type between 1-3 or 4 and you pull up the trigger to get into P, N & R. Its also the only one with the indicator on the right and a light which you may need for rego.

#10 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

ive got a "hurst" shifter.... its identical to a B&M quickshifter i think. but its got the scissors... Looks tough and does the job..

#11 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:14 AM

Thanks guy's for all your feedback, today i took the Torana out for a spin after putting the auto and we had some trouble with the STD shifter it doesn't select it all eg i can get P but not 1, I adjust it to get 1 but then i can't get P so i might get an aftermarket one sooner than what i thought.

#12 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:13 AM

I drove my brother's LH a couple of years ago, he has a B&M star or mega not sure the exact model but it to was a pain in the ass to change into reverse as well, this is the only thing i don't like about them.

i used to use a star shifter and i gotta agree it was a pain in the ass,i now use a qiucksilver and love it. :spoton:

#13 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

A slightly shorter selector arm at the gearbox end of the shifter will give you the adjustment you need.

#14 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

B&M proratchet, star and mega shifters are a pain

#15 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

good ponit DocDamage, did they make them at different lengths?

#16 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

I've found couple of different ones and had the same problem in a UC when I replaced the auto, just had to use the old shifter arm. Whether this is meant to be or maybe someone just whacked on a manual one on I don't know. If you can't find one and your not after any particular shift features from an aftermarket job and just want it to look stock you could even have an arm fabricated to suit easy enough.

#17 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

I cant remember what mines called.. but its a lift and push type to get into R and P etc...

We had a massive problem when we installed it.. and that was the HEAP OF SHIT CABLE they come with.

THe cable that's on the monaro is a red sheathed push/pull cable. It's a really good quality one but the sheathing has been burnt in places from previous exhausts. I replaced it with a Mr gasket ( yep..old but brand new), one out of the box fromt hsi shifter and for the next 10 hours we adjusted swore, hit, swore, adusted, swore, test drove and swore some more and it STILL didnt work.
We re-installed the old burnt cable and bingo! all 100% perfect...

SOOOO ANGRY the night before a car show... i can tell you where a brand new cable resides if youve got a tall enough ladder to go get it!

Moral of the story... GO buy yourself a HIGH quality push/pull cable to suit your shifter and dont fix it too tightly, especially if its gotto have any tight turns.

Cheers!

#18 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:30 PM

Thanks DocDamage i will look into it, i do have a manual box sitting there i might take a look to see if it's shorter.

Tiny i know what you mean when we adjusted my brothers it was a apin in the ass. I like the sound of your shifter i think i would prefer one that you lift up to get into reverse and park rather than lift an extra arm to do it.

#19 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

Yeah.. I really like my shifter.. I cant recall the name of it but it should be easy to find on web sites. The one that this replaced was teh scizzor type shifter and it was "okay" to use.

This one gets to be second nature when driving on the street so doign 3 point turns becomes pretty easy just by knowing the combinations of whacks forward or back and lifts and pushes!

I take it yours isnt cable shifted? I thought all B&M type aftermarket shifters were cable operated?

#20 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

It's just a STD shifter at the moment unit i decide on the shifter i want to get, i can't wait the STD shifters are crap.

#21 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:59 PM

Isn't there a retailer that has an assortmewnt of new aftermarket shifters that you can actually try in the showroom? Sorry, but I had to ask the obvious question, even if it does wind up being a silly one.

#22 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:01 AM

The one in my car is a B&M Quick silver, it came with the car.

Posted Image

Personally I hate the thing but until I can find a column shift then it will remain. A special cable and lever was required to get it right with w trimatic. I know this due to other mates with B&M's and trimatics. Only good thing is that it locks out reverse from the 123 section. When shifting up if you do not count in you head then you can select Nuetral. The pain is that to shift into reverse and drive is a lift up arrangement. took me ages to work it out but it only pulls up from drive not nuetral. Once I know this it is easy enough to find reverse when I want it. But I still am not a fan. A bracket was required to be made to make it work. My trimatic has the shifter on teh passenger side and the cable goes from the shifter across the top of the box around the right side of the box past the mount and along the left side from the back. this does not only take the cable slack but make sure the issue tiny had does not happen.. ie kinks in the cable..

Cheers

#23 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:46 AM

^ that's the one ive got! Mines made by Mr Gasket though before they got bought out by B&M!

I find that my shifter does lift from Neutral position ( which is the way it should be i reckon!) and once you get to know the shifter it's REALLY easy to use!

Cheers!

#24 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

I find that my shifter does lift from Neutral position ( which is the way it should be i reckon!) and once you get to know the shifter it's REALLY easy to use!

That is exactly what I was thinking, but took the covers off it and had a really really close look at it. The Lift gate definately comes availible only in Drive not in Neutral.

Cheers

PS: Again like Tiny, once I had this worked out it is a hell of alot easier to use...

#25 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

sorry to thread steal but is there ant sifters that will suit a trimatic strraight from the box??

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users