Removing ID tags for the purpose of restoration

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _geewiz_

_geewiz_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

Hi,

Is it illegal for me to remove the tags from a vehicle while I carry out a restoration.
Then, upon completion of the restoration, put the tags back on to the vehicle as they were?

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

I believe that it is entirely legal.

And even if it is illegal, it won't stop me from doing it.

#3 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

no heath panel beaters have to remove them for repairs . dont lose them as so many do!! put them in a safe place that you will remember :D

Edited by dave720gtr, 09 November 2006 - 07:03 PM.

#4 _geewiz_

_geewiz_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

Ahh cheers guys, I've just removed them and placed them right eh, here ...
What the, where'd they go?!?! ;-)

Im guessing that once I am done with the resto, I would just use poprivets to put them back on - that was my first thought anyway..

#5 _finer70_

_finer70_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

Take a photo or photo copy and have the copy legally witnessed and keep that safe also. That way if ever stolen you have the proof that might get them back if someone tries to use them.

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

Dont use pops...you can buy the right rivets on Ebay..or try Andrew at Milton Spares in Bris..do it right..the first time!
R

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

Why Rory? I don't see any purpose in pretending that the plates on my car have never been removed. Anyway, how much does a handful of pop rivets cost, and how much are the genuine ones? Also, how are they... welll... rivetted?

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

Apparently, Toranas prior to 1975 have special rivets. Toranas 1975 and later apparently use normal ones.

For a resto, I would definitely remove them and refit to the car they originally came from later.

#9 _geewiz_

_geewiz_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:19 PM

Not sure which plate it is (passengers side, front right corner) was slightly butchered as the car at some point had bonet pins installed.

So the top left hand corner of the tag has got a hole through it .. bit of a shame the previous owner couldn't move the pins over 20mm, without comprimising the plate :/

Anyone able to suggest the best way to clean the plates up without damaging them in anyway ?

Edited by geewiz, 09 November 2006 - 10:19 PM.

#10 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:32 PM

i reckon i cleaned mine with steel wool and autosol :spoton:

#11 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:55 AM

it is a touchy issue, some people will pay more for a car that looks like the plates have never been removed.
but as you say, it is not hard to get it to look like that.

I figure if some low life ever steals any of the cars that need plates to identify them, wouldn't it make sence to have the plates locked up in a fire proof safe with your other papers etc. look on ebay, these safes are very cheap.
not to mention the ones that just take the plates!

police are only interested in the chassis number anyway, just get some display ones made for the car.

at least if you get the burn't out shell back, you can start to resto it.

I have a gtr with huge holes in the plates where some rocket scientist tried to drill the rivets out? how do you fix that. lucky he didn't do all the holes!

I have another 4door I was going to try to fold the rivet back from underneath to reuse later, anyone tried that?

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

I have another 4door I was going to try to fold the rivet back from underneath to reuse later, anyone tried that?

How would you get in behind the tags? I also had that idea, but had no idea on how to go about it. Maybe best not to publicly post how it can be done, in case a re-birther is watching.

#13 _geewiz_

_geewiz_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

I agree with Chopper.. I think my question has been more than answered.

Much appreciate the input guys,

Cheers

#14 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

drill the mongruls out store em in a heavily guarded safe :P i would recomend this if the car is something desirable off the road and stored at not your home or somewhere u dont go often that way they most likely wont touch it if u cant reg it

just get poprivets and put them back on

its shit like this some people waste theyre money on which i personally wouldnt even bother picking up

maybe if it were a hk 327gts bathurst or a a9x maybe ........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users