#426 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

I think most of us who are passionate about the dealership list would agree with me and also acknowledge the 'polluted' nature of the list as it stands. There are others like me who no longer add to the forum list but prefer to keep our own lists to ensure that it meets the criteria initially outlined. Current dealership lists are relatively easy to come by so current dealers are not required on the GMH-Torana list

as i said before i agree with bazza on the "polluted nature" of this list
heres one example
dealer 131..... Mitchell and Townsend Blacktown NSW
dealer 609..... Mitchell and Townsend Blacktown NSW
i have a another list that does not have Mitchell and Townsend Blacktown NSW as dealer 131 but as
dealer 609...
cheers johnno

Edited by meanmachine72, 28 December 2010 - 11:37 AM.

#427 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Name:Chris

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

I think most of us who are passionate about the dealership list would agree with me and also acknowledge the 'polluted' nature of the list as it stands. There are others like me who no longer add to the forum list but prefer to keep our own lists to ensure that it meets the criteria initially outlined. Current dealership lists are relatively easy to come by so current dealers are not required on the GMH-Torana list

heres one example
i have a another list that does not have Mitchell and Townsend Blacktown NSW as dealer 131 but as
dealer 609...
cheers johnno

Johonno,
Being passionate about the GMH Torana list must mean something different to me, first its about being technicall correct (Thanks Bazza for the reminder) secondly its about a shared knowledge. I don't think one person can nail the list off the bat, so I think its going to take input from the forum community to eventually drill down to the correct list and that means some input will be disgarded. However the corrected list needs to be updated and represented on this forum as a shared resource. (Thats what a forum community is all about, not hoarding information but sharing). There are over 30 duplications in my list of dealer ID's some are as easily explained as a change in ownership (Not location), others I am not so sure on. For a list to be accurate every (relevant to 60's / 70's GMH Torana) permutation of dealer ID's needs to be included if they are relevant. I will ask to have my list removed, I acknowledge that it is inappropriate, pity about the 40+ ID's I added to the original list, maybe they are not relevant. I wonder how many people copied my updated list and archived it.

I know my current projects ( before I take on the 1970 LC 2600 4 speed 4 door) dealer no longer exists and I wanted to know who took over the dealership and are they still there.

I am prepared to share, acknowledge if I am wrong and contribute.
Cheers
Balfizar

#428 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

Well said balfizar, very correct in your attitude, I look forward to further contributions from yourself.

#429 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

Hi all

At this stage it may be appropriate to go back to the reason that some of us are reluctant to post new found dealer codes.

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=42026

Some people have spent years putting together a list of the early dealer codes. This activity has involved untold hours of research, emails, phone calls, going through old phone books and business registration names. Everything was fine until someone saw the opportunity to capitalise on other peoples' labour and passion. That drew the line for most of us. I am sure that I speak for most when I say that we are more than willing to give out specific codes (if known) but will not publish or post our respective lists.

Balfizar - that is the background to our apparent meanspiritedness. I hope our reasons are now better understood.

Cheers

Bazza

#430 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

Hi all

At this stage it may be appropriate to go back to the reason that some of us are reluctant to post new found dealer codes.

Some people have spent years putting together a list of the early dealer codes. This activity has involved untold hours of research, emails, phone calls, going through old phone books and business registration names. Everything was fine until someone saw the opportunity to capitalise on other peoples' labour and passion. That drew the line for most of us. I am sure that I speak for most when I say that we are more than willing to give out specific codes (if known) but will not publish or post our respective lists.

Balfizar - that is the background to our apparent meanspiritedness. I hope our reasons are now better understood.

Cheers

Bazza

hi bazza , firstly i admire your dedication and knowledge of the gtr and xu1 , well done and thank you .

after reading these posts on the dealer list and hearing some scumbag has capitised on ebay ,i understand your frustrations .

however my viewpoint is .. why would anybody pay for a copy of the list on ebay if the information is readily available here ?

after all this forum is all about sharing the knowledge of our cars ... the vin disc was a prime example of secret information before it became public knowledge !!

no personal dig , just my thoughts , so dont flame me , others may agree or disagree .

by the way , i,m still interested to know who dealer 602 is !!

cheers and beers for the new year !

#431 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

Hi all

Cheers

Bazza

Bazza,
I understand and respect the amount of time and effort in your work (well done). I do agree with White A9XS If its here and its free your are going to feel like a dill if you paid for it and sales for these Plagerists will dwindle. As a tip if you know the location, I have sourced info(not dealer ID's) through DP's (development plans) from local councils on locations and change of ownership e.g. Sturgess Hall Haberfield to Summit motors to Steve jarvin motors:- same location. Tracked from 1883 to 2005. I also understand the backplane of information interchange (I am in the loop elsewhere) where trusted people freely exchange info that is not publically available, maybe in time I will reach that status on this forum as well. However, I think if the plagerists win and they seem to be so far then the GMH community looses.

Cheers
Balfizar.

#432 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

hi i totally agree in what white a9x is saying, every one has put in dealer codes including myself for all the forum members to see,

belfizar was correct in putting up new listings, as a9x has stated no one will buy off e bay when its redally available here,

i believe that the new listing should be put up for all to see,after all if it wasnt for the forum members giving dealer codes we wouldnt have a list so big at all

my 2 bobs worth

regards aldo

#433 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

I agree with both sides of the arguement, some people have spent endless hours researching the dealer codes to have some low life profiteering from their work on evil bay, but unlike the vin disc which is everywhere now this information won`t bring a "dead XU-1 back to life" just help members fill in some more history....

#434 _billywest_

_billywest_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

heres one example
dealer 609...
cheers johnno

hey johnno i am still chasing 619 you got any ideas johnno cheers billywest

#435 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

heres one example
dealer 609...
cheers johnno

Dealer ID 619 Norman G Booth P/L 501 Military Road Mosman. NSW

Cheers
Balfizar

#436 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hi im still looking for dealer 418, if any one can help,

regards aldo

#437 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:24 AM

Dealer ID 619 Norman G Booth P/L 501 Military Road Mosman. NSW

Cheers
Balfizar

i second that^^^
and my plumdinger came from 438 preston motors Essenden VIC

cheers gong

Edited by BATHURST-32D, 30 December 2010 - 06:28 AM.

#438 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

hey billywest...theres your answer mate and can confirm it
sorry aldo cant help you but it would be a victorian dealership
cheers johnno

#439 _mwyres_

_mwyres_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hi everyone...

...came across this topic while bumbling around the internet looking for references to "Wyres Bros" - (dealer code 306 on the list).

As you might have noticed, my username "mwyres" relates to this dealership...mainly because my father and his father before him were the dealer principals. The dealership was a GM shop in Ballarat even before Holden itself started - (ie: pre-1948), and their dealer code was always 306 from it's inception, right until it shutdown in May of 1980. Growing up before that date - (and in the years since) - I've taken an obviously strong interest in the dealership...I'm currently looking to research as much as I can.

Dad is nearly 80, and not in the best of health, so I'm planning to get as much information from him as I can...

Anyhow - onto the topic at hand and a couple of things I have noticed on your list:

The listing "171 Kevin Dennis Motors Ballarat Vic." is incorrect...Kevin Dennis (not his real name, it's actually Dennis "something else") - never had a presence in Ballarat. Both myself and Dad believe this confusion comes from the fact that Kevin Dennis was always (and still is to this day) located in BALLARAT ROAD in Sunshine (Melbourne Western Suburb).

I also notice Coliseum Motors (460) for Ballarat. While neither my father or myself know/knew their dealer code, Coliseum were in Ballarat, and this entry appears correct. However, covering the "Torana Era", in the mid-70's they became "Peter Amor Motors", so may cover some cars you are seeking dealer information on. Later still (early 2000s) they became Ballarat Holden, though obviously this won't be relevant to the Torana era.

Throughout the name changes, it's most likely they kept the same dealer code.

Anyhow...hope this helps a little!

#440 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hi mwyres

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the background info.

In Mid '72 Kevin Dennis (Kevin Gowing dec.) set up a new Holden dealership in Ballarat Rd Braybrook (which borders on Sunshine). He initially used "Sunshine" because it was a little more "up market", but later switched to "Braybrook" which is actually the correct location.

By the way, what was the address of "Wyres Bros" when they traded in Ballarat?

Cheers

Bazza

#441 _mwyres_

_mwyres_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

Hi mwyres

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the background info.

In Mid '72 Kevin Dennis (Kevin Gowing dec.) set up a new Holden dealership in Ballarat Rd Braybrook (which borders on Sunshine). He initially used "Sunshine" because it was a little more "up market", but later switched to "Braybrook" which is actually the correct location.

By the way, what was the address of "Wyres Bros" when they traded in Ballarat?

Cheers

Bazza

There were actually three locations...

Main showroom and general service centre: 602 Sturt Street, Ballarat, Victoria, 3350
Truck sales and heavy service centre: 1021 Latrobe Street, Ballarat, Victoria, 3350
Used cars: 210 Creswick Road, Ballarat, Victoria, 3350

#442 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hi mwyres

Ok, that would be where Kwik Kopy is now 602 -604 Sturt. Its hard to imagine a provincial dealership in such a small premises in comparison to these days.

Thanks

Bazza

#443 _mwyres_

_mwyres_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hi mwyres

Ok, that would be where Kwik Kopy is now 602 -604 Sturt. Its hard to imagine a provincial dealership in such a small premises in comparison to these days.

Thanks

Bazza

Yup - that's the spot...it's quite a deep premises...so it's deceiving from the front, but as you say, certainly small by modern standards...

Latrobe Street is now occupied by Bridges Wade machinery, and Creswick Road is still a used car lot...

#444 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hi all

Can someone please scan the "Victoria Country Dealers" page of an LC Owner's Manual and email it to me. It must be the LC (preferably late) version as I want to compare it to the LJ one that I already have.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Bazza

#445 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:20 PM

hey meanmachine72 dealler 131 is not on the vin disc so he never sold the lc or lj holden.

cheers gong

#446 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:33 AM

hey meanmachine72 dealler 131 is not on the vin disc so he never sold the lc or lj holden.

cheers gong

Thats a clue!! in 1973 a guy I worked with won the works raffle, a Torana from Mitchell and Townsend, did not want the car so cashed out just over $2k if I remember correctly.
Boo Hoo I had the next ticket beside his. They said no problem they had buyers waiting, Does that mean Mitchell and townsend is 609 and not 131???

Just added another 87 dealers to my list (no dealer Id's) all from pre 1974 bringing the total dealers to 875 and 560 known(with some dubious)

Cheers
Chris

Edited by Balfizar, 31 December 2010 - 12:37 AM.

#447 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hi Chris

I deleted 131 from my list a couple of years ago because I couldn't find any reference to that number on the VIN disc. I have 609 as Mitchell and Townsend, Main St, Blacktown NSW

Cheers

Bazza

Hi all

Can someone please scan the "Victoria Country Dealers" page of an LC Owner's Manual and email it to me. It must be the LC (preferably late) version as I want to compare it to the LJ one that I already have.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Bazza

Hi

Anyone??

Cheers

Bazza

#448 _HQ SS_

_HQ SS_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

Bazza.
I do not have a Torana one but I do have a May 1969 HT one if you want the details from that one.
(I have just emailed you about this.)
Cheers Paul.

#449 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

Bazza.
I do not have a Torana one but I do have a May 1969 HT one if you want the details from that one.
(I have just emailed you about this.)
Cheers Paul.

Excellent - thanks. Now if you can scan me a pic of the Victorian Country dealers that would be great.

Cheers

Bazza

#450 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

cheers gong

Thats a clue!! in 1973 a guy I worked with won the works raffle, a Torana from Mitchell and Townsend, did not want the car so cashed out just over $2k if I remember correctly.
Boo Hoo I had the next ticket beside his. They said no problem they had buyers waiting, Does that mean Mitchell and townsend is 609 and not 131???

Just added another 87 dealers to my list (no dealer Id's) all from pre 1974 bringing the total dealers to 875 and 560 known(with some dubious)

Cheers
Chris

so we all agree that there is no dealer 131 ?... bad luck about being next ticket along chris :blink: ,good
to see mwyres chime in with some solid info about his dads yard...welcome Mwyres!!! when i started getting a list togeather i rang a heap of dealers and asking to speak to there oldest salesman..some were amazed that any body would be interested in dealer numbers!!! sadly all these guys from the 70/80s our now hard to find and talk to so times are running out to get good solid info for these guys for our lists....
cheers johnno

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users