L34 and L34HO

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 _My74LH_

_My74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

can any one tell me the differance between the standard L34 and the L34 with the HO upgrade. eg engin components used and hp produced.

cheers

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:00 PM

Mmm, I'd have to look at my books, but basically it was a Holley carb replacing the quadrajet, roller rockers and a few other bits.

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

MMmmmm..Over to RED..The HO was a kit that went to racers in the know..I had a list somewhere of what was in it..I am sure he can complete...
R

#4 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

AMC Issue 15 had a write up on it.

Accroding to the article the L34 'HO' featured:

-Holley 780CFM four barrel
-Competition cam shaft (high lift, long duration)
-Competition valve train kit (solid lifters, Crane roller rockers, screw in studs, retaining pushrod guide plates)
-Special pushrods to suit
-Remote engine oil cooler
-Revised crankcase ventilator/breather to suit holley
-Competition spark plug set (special heat range)

I know its probably not very specific, but thats all AMC had on it.

Steve

#5 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:43 PM

didnt know there was A l34 Ho intersting i though it was only the fords For handling option on the Gts learn something everday

#6 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

wasnt the aircleaner deleted in favour of a wire mesh cover also?

#7 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:54 PM

ho high output

#8 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

a pic of a new l34 ho
Posted Image
if you can read the small print its also talks about the g pack and plus 4 toranas lol

#9 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:31 PM

cool air cleaner huh

#10 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

a pic of a new l34 ho
Posted Image
if you can read the small print its also talks about the g pack and plus 4 toranas lol

can someone move this pic to the g-pack thread as it states the number of g-packs as an initial run of 500.

#11 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:31 PM

I think for an HO you at least had to have a CAMS license and the race team to go with it.

I agree with above list from AMC but that car in the article looks a little modified.
I think there has been some unfactory tinkering there.

Group C exhaust factory for HO?
Bonnet pins?
Oil catch can?
I have seen an air scope to direct air to the engine oil cooler in a HDT article but is not on this car.

How long would your engine last with a chip strainer for an air cleaner?

Bloody nice toy all the same.

#12 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Look close...its the factory prototype...not production model. Probably has the salisbury in it to.
R

#13 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

I could post you photos of one but as the owner watches this forum if he wants to he can , It lives up here and is totaly original even the paint job , and i think it came from down at Rorys hamlet , i took photos of it at a show from up north a bit , the oil cooler looks at bit different to that one in photos , i dont beleive it had any device to direct air , TREX

#14 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:54 PM

The red one?
The air scoop was a HDT race only item...not a road item.
R

Edited by rorym, 13 January 2007 - 09:56 PM.

#15 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

Yes the red one < TREX

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

The aircleaner on the car in the article is actually the item that came with the HO kit, however, you could buy all the parts seperately, ie just buy the 780holley. The list in AMC is correct, however, the car you are all looking at, is not an L34, it's Holdens mock up car/ test mule, and Harry Firth had no involvment with that particular car in the article. The oil tank in that car is not what came with the HO kit either. If the red car is the one you are refering to and it was the car at the Torana Nationals in 2004, It has some sort of aircraft oil tank fitted.

#17 _My74LH_

_My74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

Hi i found this on the web seems to be some confusion on this L34 HO as AMC states one thing and the canberra torana club states the following.

For touring car racing, and Bathurst in particular, Holden released the Torana SL/R 5000 L34 option package in mid 1974. If you thought the normal SL/R 5000 was a quick car, the L34 was something else again! Externally, it could be identified by bolt on wheel arch flares and bigger 14 x 6 steel rally wheels, but the real news was under the bonnet. The motor was based on the standard 5.0 litre (308) block, with stronger rods and pistons, heads with modified ports and bigger valves, roller rockers, two piece tubular exhaust headers, modified inlet manifold and twin coil / twin point ignition. It ran a high pressure fuel pump with the standard Rochester Q-jet carby modified with a manual choke. Additionally available on this engine was the so called High Output package. This was full on racetrack gear with an engine oil cooler, an even larger camshaft, a 780cfm vacuum secondary Holley carburetor and other minor modifications. The drive train consisted of the GM-H M21 four speed box, fine spline heavy duty rear axles, HQ 10 inch rear drum brakes and 11 inch ventilated front discs, both with the HQ wheel stud pattern. Other external appearance changes were the deletion of the black stripe on the front guards and also the sill panels and rear beaver panel were no longer painted black. In addition, the rubber bumper bar strips, boot mat and centre console were not fitted.

So how is right?

#18 _l34nut_

_l34nut_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:08 AM

Hi guys, this is my first time on the forum.
The L34 that was at the Torana Nationals in 2004 has an oil-cooler fitted not an oil tank as stated. There was no special mounting position nominated by GMh for the oil cooler. The oil cooler fitted to the car is an aircraft oil cooler made by GM [the owner was an aircraft engineer and thought that the oil cooler supplied in HO pack was of inferior quality - or in his words 'piss-poor']. He did not mount it in front of the radiator as if would have affected the cooling of the radiator to some degree.
Trex's comments regarding the car were correct.

#19 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:42 PM

l34 nut welcome to the forum. you havnt got a red one too have you?

#20 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

Seen the car,L34 nut. Nice,
Yes Arri...its him!
If you go back and look at the pics of that magazine it says it is fitted with a dry sump and electric oil pumps...as RED says..the mock up.
R

#21 HSVGTS

HSVGTS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Name:HSVGTS

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

No road going L34 was ever fitted with a HO pack, and this is why.

Last Wednesday I was talking to Harry Firth regarding fitting a HO parts oil cooler to my L34. He said it was a custom cooler and it was connected to the oil pickup through the sump wall then to his custom elaborate Oil System that was virtually a dry sump.

So any HO pack that was fitted to an L34 would have to have been the HDT racecars and any plan of Harry�s Dry Sump Oil System supplied to other race teams to emulate and fit to their racecars

So that alone rules out HO packs for road cars.

Regards�����.

#22 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

HO pack was an over the shelf item, you could buy it as a package or as single parts. I happen to know a dealer who still has one of these kits BRAND NEW in the box and No it's not for sale. The HO kit available through Holden ($1500 at the time) was nothing like Harrys setup on the race cars, and I can tell you now that L34's were not the only cars to have this kit fitted to them as in 1978, Holden dealerships were sent a warning stating that HO kits were no longer to be fitted to cars as they were not in compliance of the ADRS at the time. I also happen to know where there is an L34 fitted with a HO pack from new, and an SLR5000 with a HO pack fitted to it as the owner used to race it. At least one L34 was fitted with a HO pack at the local dealership in the town used to live in, I know the mechanic that fitted it at the time.

#23 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:58 PM

As RED says...Harry system was just that..Harrys system..it took ages for the other teams to work it out and catch up..His drysump style system was his expansion on the HO kit...with the exception of the oil cooler... the rest was added on with other things like panhard rods and other illegal bits that CAMS turned a blind eye to.
R

Edited by rorym, 14 January 2007 - 02:59 PM.

#24 HSVGTS

HSVGTS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Name:HSVGTS

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

I don�t understand??

�Harry�s system�, we are talking about the same Harry!!
The one that helped develop toranas and race equipment, along with GMH engineers and repco etc, etc. We are talking L34 era not A9X, Red mentioned 1978?

Also, are you both saying Harry had nothing to do with the development of the HO pack?

It�s just that he told me different and I�ll put him straight if you boys let me know what the correct info is.

Regards�����.

#25 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

rory,the one with the L34 sticker on the spoiler? drool, drible ,want it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users