ENGINEERING INFO

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:18 PM

here is some info i got off a Mechanical engineer about registering my LH, might not be relevant but a good read.

The only details included in VicRoads VIS * Guide to the modification of vehicles" available on the VicRoads Web Site are:

11. REPLACEMENT ENGINES
An engine which is of a type offered by the manufacturer as an option for that vehicle may be fitted provided that�
All other related components including structure, suspension. brakes etc., are equivalent to those fitted to a vehicle of the same model supplied with that engine type as optional original equipment by the manufacturer; and
Acceptable evidence is supplied which certifies that these components are fitted in accordance with factory methods and the vehicle in its modified form is safe and complies with the applicable regulations for that model vehicle.
An engine which is not of the same type as offered by the manufacturer of the vehicle as original, but is similar in power. weight and emission standards to that of the original engine, may be fitted to such a vehicle. If alteration to the vehicle's frame or structure is involved and specially fabricated supports or structures are used, an Approval Certificate must be supplied.
Where it is intended to fit an engine which is significantly different from that offered by the manufacturer as original or an option, (e.g. four to six cylinder or six to eight cylinder), then an Approval Certificate is required as evidence that the vehicle in its modified form is safe and meets all the applicable construction and emission regulations for that model. It is recommended that a VASS signatory is consulted before commencement of this type of modification.
You will note it states "It is recommended that a VASS signatory is consulted before commencement of this type of modification." This is not just idle advice as there are plenty of vehicles around that have had major modifications to the extent that they are no longer able to be registered. That means that regardless of how well the modification has been done the vehicle cannot be registered. This can be for three reasons:
1. The vehicle modifications are so extensive that it becomes an Individually Constructed Vehicle which has to comply with current ADR's including occupant protection/ airbags and emissions;
2. The vehicle make model and age and the engine make model and age may be incompatible - so that extensive emission control modifications are required and these may make the modification difficult or uneconomic; or
3. The vehicle power to weight ratio is so high, or the predicted vehicle handling/ performance with a very powerful engine is so poor that no VASS Signatory will provide an Approval Certificate.

I have commenced to prepare my own document on replacement engines but unfortunately it is not finished.

In regard to the $90 fee, that covers the typical time it takes to prepare an initial assessment and preliminary document on items that need to be considered and checked.

In regard to an Approval Certificate this depends on where you live (costs of travel) and the amount of work required. That could include emission tests, calculations in respect of engine mounts, suspension, weight distribution ...

At a minimum you would be looking at $600 - $700 if it is possible to give you an Approval Certificate. At a maximum including emissions testing and perhaps body flex testing you could be looking at $2500 - $3000.

And if its not worthwhile proceeding the cost will be $90 plus the cost of travel if it becomes apparent I will need to inspect the vehicle.

Regards
John Lambert
MIEAust, CPEng 180785, Member ASME
Bachelor of Engineering (University of Melbourne), ARMIT (Mechanical)
Director and Company Secretary
John Lambert & Associates Pty Ltd
ACN 090 833 873
ABN 59 090 833 873
VASS 1040
Member NSW Engineering Certification Scheme
235 Wandana Drive, Wandana Heights, Victoria, Australia 3216
Phone +61 3 52491228
Fax +61 3 52491146
Mobile or cell phone 0417033258
Email: [email protected]

#2 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

Great Info thanks JNR_ATE, I'll move it to the general help section, but thank you for posting it.

#3 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

no worries mate, glad i could be of some assistance.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users