- - - - -

re-found LX re-build

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

Have decided Tweety has terminal cancer - seriously thinking about getting another shell & transfering everything over.

Seeing as it was a nice day I though I'd rip the carpet out to look at the driver's floor - didn't think things were this bad.

Driver's floor & sill
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Passenger floor isn't as bad but the sill has holes & there's a couple in the floor

Posted Image

Front guards, plen chamber, doors all cactus....fark

#27 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

I thought this car meant too much too you?

There have been bigger repairs than that done on this forum ay.

#28 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

Odd thought...

You know how UC Toranas are said to be used as parts for LX's...well...I think you can see where Im going with this.. :)

#29 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

She ain't using any parts of MY UC!! LOL

Edited by torriechick, 23 October 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#30 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

Once I scraped & vacuumed I actually had to cut the carpet or it would be hanging on the road :( The vacuum nozzle went through in several spots - I really don't have a floor pan now (didn't get pics of that - was too disgusted)

I know bigger things have been done & I'm VERY attached to the car - which is why it'll have be brought back even if I need to get a rolling shell. The problem is this - it's the daily driver - time wise I can't afford for it to be off the road. Money wise I can't afford a gound up re-build (again) even if I could take it off the road long enough. Right now I don't feel it's safe to be driving around - it has 'crumble' zones!

Now if I could find a body like a certain UC's to put stuff on I'd have a bloody good car rust wise!

#31 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,484 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

Drive UC while restoring LX ?

#32 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

^ He is a thinker.

Bet Miss Tori wont like that idea.

#33 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

Check up under the dash on your Torana. The plenum/scuttle panel is common spot for them to rust. This will cause water to leak onto the floorpan, therefore causeing them to rust. Almost every LH LX Torana i've owned has had rust there. Repairing a badly rusted scuttle is a time consuming job & usualy requires another panel to be cut from a donor car. This could mean the difference between whether your Torana is salvageable or if re-shelling is the better option.

#34 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

Bet Miss Tori wont like that idea.

Got that right!! :P

#35 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

Check up under the dash on your Torana. The plenum/scuttle panel is common spot for them to rust. This will cause water to leak onto the floorpan, therefore causeing them to rust. Almost every LH LX Torana i've owned has had rust there. Repairing a badly rusted scuttle is a time consuming job & usualy requires another panel to be cut from a donor car. This could mean the difference between whether your Torana is salvageable or if re-shelling is the better option.

It's completely shagged on the passenger side (which is where the better floor pan is) I think the driver's side was caused by the d*ickhead I sold the car to - 3 yrs of trips to the beach where he'd get in covered in saltwater & sand - still tryin to get the sand out grrrr. It was blocked on the drivers side with leafs when I got it back causing it to leak badly - fixed that but as I said rest is stuffed!

Dattoman - nice idea....wonder how I'd manage to pull that off!!

Mello - Miss Tori would NOT like it one bit ;)

#36 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

Just spoke to a guy that will have a look at my car on Thursday as he reckons he's done fibreglass plenum chambers on Torana's before...anythings worth having a look at.

He'll fold some metal for the floor to keep it safer until we get work out what to do.

#37 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

Glad you know someone with metal working/welding skills that is willing to lend a hand. Trying to find a better shell can be more difficult & expensive as these cars are getting harder to find, & good ones are fetching alot of coin. I started my project with a complete but severly rusted car & a bare shell. The bare shell was good but if you check out my project thread, it still needs quite a bit of work. Unless your Torana is severly inflicted with rust throughout the body, it may be more cost effective etc to repair it. If the floors & sills are the worst of the rust, it's entirely possible to repair it bit by bit while still keeping the car for the most part on the road. At least you don't have annual rego checks like we do here in NSW, even if the car isn't 100% roadworthy you can still keep rego on it & avoid the dreaded "pit" inspection. Hope it all works out for you, i've repaired plenty of rust ravaged cars including repairing a severly rusted HQ one tonner plenum & replacing both sill panels & floors, so if you need any advice etc feel free to ask.

#38 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:32 AM

You could always buy this and chuck your motor and box in it while you fix the Torry. http://cgi.ebay.com....=item2ea8a5f26e

#39 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

That's a very cheap SLE!

I wonder - is it a BAD things when the vacuum cleaner picks up the scale on the floor, slides through the floor and into the cross member....yes INTO and sucks up a pile of sh*t from it - makes a nice little shelf though, good place to hide a spare key - as long as you're up to date with your shots otherwise not a good place to put your fingers!

#40 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

holy crappers it didnt think it was that bad but ike it has been said there has been a lot worse rust repairs done, the pan is a pretty straight froward repair but the plenium well..... thats a different story Posted Image im so glad mt whole pan is perfect but have one plenium repair to do right where the heater fan inlet is, cant complain though as it is just a square cut and replace, i could almost be sertin that if you take your kick panels off and grab a torch and look up to the right of you go pedel there is rust there too, them stupid white plastic tubes that are suposed to allow the water that gets in to the plenium to get away are poxy as im will be doing a mod on mine so that any water thats gets in there will rush straight out, anyways thats my 2cents worth keep us updated on your progress Posted Image

#41 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

Okay, so because someone won't update their build thread I thought I might for them... :) aren't I a nice daughter? :P Anyway 3 weeks ago when we last checked up on Tweety....
Posted Image

and now...
Posted Image

#42 _billywest_

_billywest_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

Okay, so because someone won't update their build thread I thought I might for them... Posted Image aren't I a nice daughter? Posted Image Anyway 3 weeks ago when we last checked up on Tweety....
Posted Image

and now...
Posted Image

hey tweety looks like a car from the flintstones ,but the bottom photo tells a different story go tweety go cheers how much more cancer you got to get rid of tweetycheers tc on the update

#43 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

Looks like a neat repair :)

Good to see you got onto it sooner rather than later lol

Drill a hole or two in the bottom for peace of mind too, and then give it some good paint. It was obviously rusting for a reason...

Edited by Heath, 11 December 2009 - 09:23 PM.

#44 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

Hmmmm we should get tweety back soon but its warrnambool, the weather has been too hot yesterday and raining so far today so either way he wont have got any welding done because he lives on a in an area where its really dangerous for fires and stuff. hoping tweety will be back by sunday or something ... I really wanna drive it. lol
Maybe I'll see if mum can take us to see some progress. :)

#45 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:31 AM

Nice job in those footwells, looks like you had quite a bit of rust to deal with.

#46 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

HEATH - will all be painted as it goes, welder hasn't missed a spot so far, he's very good. Won't be drilling any holes, it was rusting cos the pleny was cactus, but he's fixing that too.

BILLYWEST - he's got a couple of welds near the rear seat belt anchors, a patch under the left tail light, the bottom of the RHF guard & top of LHF guard to do, minor stuff to what he's done so far. All for $1200. Fairly happy with that considering he's made new floors & sills, painted the metal, outside bits will be primed ready for paint.

NIL8ER - What kick panels LMAO, I don't have any, turd that bought it wrecked the 2 new ones it had in it - so that spot I get to see a lot, not bad condition, scale, but nothing that can't be fixed without a welder.

TC - thanks, I'm a tad lazy when it comes to updates...I tend to just read rather than post much.

Hope to get it back next week, was 40 yesterday and 14 with rain today...

#47 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

good to see its getting resurected mine got holes in the same spot on passenger floor well from the plenum leaking gonna crack it open when i have a chance and weld new section in then por 15 the hole inside of it so i dont have to deal with it again

#48 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

Mmm, too late. I thought Rares was making new footwell floor repair sections, or are they just planned for production? Might be worth PM'ing Les. Those fabricated ones look OK though. Did you take the opportunity to straigten out the rails while you had access to them? They get squished and knocked around a bit from being jacked up all the time.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 24 December 2009 - 10:04 PM.

#49 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

I am pleased to report that Tweety came home today. Turned out the water was coming from two small cracks just under the bonnet - will post pics later to explain. Welder fixed them too at no extra cost. Not sure why he painted the inside bright blue though :dontknow:

Felt bloody good to jump in (guttered car, one seat) & give it heaps down his private road ;) I think it's an automatic reaction from driving the other half's 1.9L opel powered, auto budgie.

WOOOOOOOOOOO-HHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I got my Christmas present...

#50 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

HAPPY AS !! TWEETYS BACK!

So guess who's driving Tweety on Sunday...? ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users