Which wheels on LX Torana

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _Heezo_

_Heezo_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:50 PM

Gudday Guys,
Still very new to this forum but learning heaps from you seasoned campaigners!

A few weeks back, I posted about an LC 2 Door I was hoping to pick up and go nuts on but it fell through unfortunately.

Now I am looking at an LX Sedan with 308/Turbo 350/Nine Inch combo, nice paint, centreline billet wheels etc which needs a bit of a tidy up.

If I able to pick this car up, it will become my project for the next few years and plan on making it a really nice street car, driven plenty and lots of fun.

I believe the basics are there already and it just needs a bit of a push and some work to get it on track to achieving this.

I would like to keep the Centrelines but would also like another set of mags to swap and change around when I get the urge. I had thought that some Simmons FR18's would look awesome, but was wondering if it was possible to get a set with a decent dish on the back wheels? The car does not have flares and I am not interested in tubbing it at all. Is this achievable without any mods??
Whats the biggest rim and tyre combo I can run on this car?

Which other wheels would you guys recommend, looking for something with a reasonably clean, modern design , large diameter (17" or 18" max) as an alternative to the billets.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers :rockon:

Heezo

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

As the Simmons are a 3 piece wheel, they can be made to virtually any offset you require. How wide you can go largely depends on how much you lower the car. Lowwer you go, the more it might rub on the guards.

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

Hi

If you have flares fitted you may be able to go to some thing like this:

Posted Image

It's a large offset US Indy Racer fitted with 265/10"/15" with an A9X flare. You would not be able to use this with an L34 flare unless you jacked the back of the car up which is ugly IMHO.

Things to remember are the larger the offset to the outside of the wheel the more stress you place on the axle bearings, ie they need to be constantly watched and replaced more often than normal. This offset is not legal for street use as it alters the track of the car too much for rego's liking. Looks tough though eh ;)

This is but one example, I am sure you will find many more which are legal.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 06 April 2007 - 10:41 AM.

#4 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

For LH-LX you cant go wrong with period style wheels like Hotwires , anything with 5 spokes or those like above ^.

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

Have a read of this thread.
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=10822

#6 _Heezo_

_Heezo_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

The pic of the grey torana in the old thread that Hawks posted a while back is the sort of look I am going for.

Does anybody have any other pics of this car or know of any wheel/tyre/suspension details by any chance?

Thanks again

Cheers

Heezo

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

this one?

Posted Image

#8 _Heezo_

_Heezo_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:45 PM

Yeah thats the one, hell that looks hot.
Does anybody know what the combo is?

Cheers

Heezo

#9 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:22 PM

man i love that torrie looks so good.

#10 _Heezo_

_Heezo_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

Can anybody give me some tips on how to achieve this look??
Looks like some pretty decent sized rubber on the back of this car and a good dish on the rims also. Looks shit hot.
Would the diff have been shortened to get this much dish??

Cheers

Heezo

#11 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:30 AM

I'd say you would definately be looking at shortening the diff (maybe 2" per side), relocating the shocks and minitubbing the rear end to achieve that look.

They look like 10 or 11" rims on the back.

Be careful copying what you see on show cars, some of them look good but would scrub like a bastard on the street.

Those front wheels don't look like they have enough clearance for street use to me.

I had to do a reasonable amount of triming to clear my front tires but it is hidden under the flares so those ones in that photo are possibly a show only setup.

M@

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users