#1 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

Hey all
Just wonderin what ppl's thoughts are on chassis kits? In this case Lc torana and lx hatch back, do they work are they worth it? CRS the way to go? any comments welcome!

#2 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

If your going to put a V8 in a LC most definatley put one in well worth the money and effort

#3 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

I'm going to install one before the new 355 goes in.

This is the lc-lj one
Posted Image

#4 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,168 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

I have one in mine they are well worth it as when i got my lj it didnt have one and you could feel it twist a bit when you hammered it but now no probs the only thing i have to worry about is keeping it in a straight line :rockon:

#5 _wayneo_

_wayneo_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

sorry 2 steal the thread but does any1 in vic have 1 for a lc/lj that isnt fitted that i could borrow for a few days to make 1 or more up cause by the looks of it theres nothing to them. pm me and we will work something out

#6 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

If my chassis bloke gets his way he will be making up his own and installing it in my torrie, he's not a big fan of the crs kits..reckons they dont fit too well and he can/has done better.

#7 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

if possible can someone provide detailed measurments and pictures of the chassis kit??

#8 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

Me and a mate fitted mine in 4 hours lots of drilling lucky also had access to a hoist everything lined up exactly :D

#9 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:38 PM

Ed, just weld the doors and hatch shut. Job done! :tease:

#10 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

Anyone know if getting a 4pt or 6pt cage welded in would have the same effect as a chassis kit?

#11 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

i spoke to crs bout there chassis kit, and they said its like 10-20 % improvement over stand, cant handle any big horsepower, and same as per usual, if it don't fit even due to there f*ck up like all there other products, your screwed.

i highly wouldn't recommend them for anything, and would recommend making one yourself to suit would be a better application.

#12 _STEVO_

_STEVO_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

im looking a getting a chassis kit and welded 6 point cage in my lh
is that about all i need for stength and to stop twist with the BBlock engine?

#13 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

Anyone know if getting a 4pt or 6pt cage welded in would have the same effect as a chassis kit?

Dont you already have a chassis kit on yours?

Also, doesn't the CRS one have an engineering cert. or something. Because like Wayneo said, there looks to be nothing to them, and maybe the only reason (I can see) why people buy them would be for engineering purposes?

#14 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

i cant see how strengthening your chassis would need an engineers certificate, aslong as you wernt cutting the chassis anywhere

#15 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:29 PM

Using the right grade of metal etc.
Thats what I meant OJ

#16 LJ383

LJ383

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

Ive had no problem with the CRS chassis kit for Lc/J pretty easy to install and fitted pretty good.
The reason u want the engineers certs with the CRS stuff is when u install the rails for a motor upgrade. eg Lj v8.

Adam

#17 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

Dont you already have a chassis kit on yours?

No,it's not required for engineers.That is what the engineer said anyway.

I'd rather put a cage in it if that would strengthen the car up then add more weight to it by putting in a chassis + a cage.On top of that I just don't like the crs kits & my lc is heavy enough IMO.

#18 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

is there a legal requirement to fit these in any states if putting V8 in LC/LJ?

#19 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

Im more after to stop twistin etc as ive only got a six with a bit or work, not for engineers etc yea im thinkin of makin my own has anyone got some decent photos of a kit installed/uninstalled?

#20 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:33 PM

AHHA Shane, you obsession with weight. I'd do the cage and the kit, make the chassis real rigid. I doubt a six point will do the same as the CRS kit, unless you took your rear seat out and ran a cross brace (Rory styles). No doubt the cage will into its own if you had a roll, but to stop chassis flex, it won't be near effective. I reckon the most effective part of the kit would be the cross brace.

You see a lot of weekend "drifters" use a cross brace inside their car connecting the rails where the b pillars meet. Competition "drfiters" would run a cage of some sort.

(all this from an engineering perspective).

#21 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:05 AM

Im more after to stop twistin etc as ive only got a six with a bit or work, not for engineers etc yea im thinkin of makin my own has anyone got some decent photos of a kit installed/uninstalled?

I'm no engineer but I reckon a 6 point cage with a diagonal bar would be more effective than the rail kit. The rail kit appears to only join the front suspension to the rear and the shell would still twist (your sills and tunnel are strong enough in my opinion to join the the front to the rear) where as a cage with diagonal bar should eliminate more twist.

Ultimately the gage joined to the chassis kit where possible would be the answer but weight would be an issue and fixture if the cage is ally.

Edited by rodomo, 24 May 2007 - 01:19 AM.

#22 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:19 PM

Hey all
Just wonderin what ppl's thoughts are on chassis kits? In this case Lc torana and lx hatch back, do they work are they worth it? CRS the way to go? any comments welcome!

Stedz...Just home but send me your email address and I will send you pics..The cage with the chassis kit allows me to jack the car under the front wheel...and that whole side of the car comes off the ground as a unit...its stiff all right. The cage in the LH which is 6 point and picks up the rear suspension points does exactly the same thing..so from experience...the cage does stiffen the whole unit to a serious degree! (Sorry James!)...For a 6 cyl LJ I would definately fit the chassis kit..even with a cheap..off Ebay... 4 point alloy cage...if you are weight conscious.
R

#23 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

Ofcourse I'm weight conscious,my lc comes in at 1190kgs,tubby little thing.I have lost 6kgs though lol.I'd just rather put a cage in it instea of that crs kit.

#24 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:41 AM

This is an extract from the Transport Industry Consultants engineering report on the LC-LJ chassis kit dated 9 Oct 1989. It is supplied with the kit. VIC Roads also have a full copy of the report.

Comparative tests were performed on the standard and reinforced vehicles. It was found that the bending strength of the vehicle is increased by approximately 30%. whilst the torsional stiffness in increased by approximately 40%.

An engineers certificate is required for the chassis kit in WA.

#25 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:10 AM

^ Good stuff!
Do you have any info on cages?
My theory is based on:
Cut the roof off a car and drive it versus cut the floor pan out and drive it.
Which will last longer?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users