fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Can anyone tell me if they know of reduced size engine oil filter [length] to suit red 308 similar in size to injected 5 litre filter as i have just fitted a polished alloy radiator with thermo fans from i hate to say it but AU falcoon into my LH SLR5000 and i now have clearance issues with standard oil filter .?

#2 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

just get injected filter, the oil pumps are the same

#3 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

tryed injected oil filter but oil pumps are different thread 7/8" where red 308 thread is 13/16" i wish it was that simple

#4 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

there is a small filter that you can run, I had one on mine, i just cant remember what number it was

#5 _wombat_

_wombat_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

the big one you talk about is a Z30 i guess, is the small one you tried a Z160?
i've been using the small one for years to get oil pressure up quicker on 1st start
on a black 308 in a vk,dunno when the thread changed on these pumps.if no joy what would be cheaper,remote mounted filter or later oil pump?

#6 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

im running a z160 in my 253 got a 3core crossflow radiator out of a vh with thermos plenty of room

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

check your part number, you may have a LS1 filter or something entirely different.

#8 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

yes use a z160

#9 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

thanks for the ideas guys have managed to find a filter to suit off of hilux V6 has same thread size 3/4" unf but i am now unsure of oil pump fitted to engine as the oil filter doesnot sit horizontal but angled slightly upwards i think this mod has something to do with front sway bar setup it has Selby swaybar which would also have fouled on original horizontal standard oil pump/filter setup allgood now anyway.

#10 _tonyslr5000_

_tonyslr5000_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

hi fatslr, i dont know what oilpump you have on however if you want a smaller oil filter, you need to use an old ryco z97a or a genuine holden X96 which are smaller.
you may want to check the filter your using ,just because the thread is the same , fikters have different characteristics. ie return and pressure valves inside the unit.

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

The A9X used a short version of the Z30, but it's no longer in production. Maybe someone makes something similar

#12 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

the z160 should fit no problems at all.... You must have some chunky Thermo fans if it doesnt fit still... Your Bottom hose doesnt hit as well does it?

#13 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

tryed injected oil filter but oil pumps are different thread 7/8" where red 308 thread is 13/16" i wish it was that simple

Are you sure about that? I bought a brand new pump for my VT and fitted it to my Torana and the old filter from the Torana screwed straight on

#14 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:18 PM

thanks for the ideas guys have managed to find a filter to suit off of hilux V6 has same thread size 3/4" unf but i am now unsure of oil pump fitted to engine as the oil filter doesnot sit horizontal but angled slightly upwards i think this mod has something to do with front sway bar setup it has Selby swaybar which would also have fouled on original horizontal standard oil pump/filter setup allgood now anyway.

Sounds like a dodgy pump may be the source of the problem.

Herne

#15 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

but i am now unsure of oil pump fitted to engine as the oil filter doesnot sit horizontal but angled slightly upwards

Hi Guys.

There was a popular conversion in the 70s which used a Chrysler V8 pump of some sort, with an adaptor. These had the filter sitting at an angle & used a filter with a different thread. I thought that these kits used a Z9, in which case a Z10 or a Z89A is the short version.

Dr Terry

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:59 PM

I had a double check of the filters today when I got home. The VT oil pump is identical to the older 308 oil pumps and the smaller VT filter fits onto the older 308 pump (and GEN3 is the same filter). I have uploaded some pics for comparison
From the left is the standard genuine Holden oil filter fitted on the 308 in the late 70's and as still available today (with slightly different writing) Z30 is the same.
The next is the AC Delco replacement which is slightly shorter. AC Delco also make one the same as the Holden version
The next is the A9X filter which is shorter again, NLA.
After that comes the genuine Holden VT 304 filter which is the same as the Gen 3 filter
And last is the AC Delco replacment for the VT filter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

Gday
I think Dr Terry might be on the money with his diagnosis still haveing a few teething issues with the thermos but BROWNS Radiators[Perth] who supplied radiator and thermos together mounted up told me run 40 amp relay for thermos as mentioned earlier AU Falcon twin setup but i am haveing dramas with every now and then 40 amp blade fuse blowing i have run 4mm wire from battery with fuse inline direct to relay to supply power for thermos i am thinking of putting a resettable 40-50 amp circuit breaker in place of fuse i am wondering if maybe one of the new fans comeing from a Ford might be dicky any ideas.
Garth

#18 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

I had a similar setup with Ford Mondeo fans from Browns. Each fan had its own relay and 30 amp fuse, I never had any problems. This is the safest way to run dual fans as you will only loose one if a fuse or relay fails.

Based on the specs I have for SPAL fans I would expect each fan to draw around 20 amps. If you have each fan on a separate 40 amp fuse and it is blowing then you have a problem. If the 40 amp fuse is shared between the two fans then it could be expected to blow.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 26 July 2007 - 06:46 PM.

#19 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like a good idea bit of a fail safe setup looks like another trip into Busselton for parts as i live in Dunsborough no auto shops you wouldnt happen to have an inspection cover for bottom of bellhouseing 308 to Muncie i think same as M21 cover

#20 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

Can anyone tell me if they know of reduced size engine oil filter [length] to suit red 308 similar in size to injected 5 litre filter as i have just fitted a polished alloy radiator with thermo fans from i hate to say it but AU falcoon into my LH SLR5000 and i now have clearance issues with standard oil filter .?

Please be careful with this shit...We first ran the Honda CBX 1000 6 cylinder bikes in the Production Race in NZ b4 we ran them in the Castrol 6 Hour in Aust....we ran out of CBX 1000 filters and used CB 900 4 cylinder ones....we seized 2 motors b4 we worked out they flowed different volumes....double check all things like volume flow.....it might not be relavent here but being warned is being knowledgable.
R

#21 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

yes i was a bit concerned about setup but Dr Terrys analysis sounds right the mod was probably done to give clearance for SELBY sway bar setup but i will definately fit a Z10 OR Z89A straight away

#22 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

with the AU fans, run a 30A fuse and relay for each fan

#23 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:08 PM

Starfire engines have an adapter standard that alters the angle of the filter to the oil pump.
Should screw on where a Z30 (or smaller) fits.
Just a thought.

Edited by rodomo, 26 July 2007 - 08:13 PM.

#24 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

While i have your attention on filters is a PF-10 same as PFA-10?

#25 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:44 PM

Some years ago I ran a Penzoil oil filter on my 308. I assume that they still make this filter but can't recall the part number. It was a fair bit shorter that the standard filter - just guestimating, I'd say it would be no longer than the A9X filter pictured. The shorter filter didn't harm oil preasure either!
The filters were supplied to me by Shanes Race Engines in Wollongong.

Edited by HRV74, 01 August 2007 - 10:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users