- - - - -

MY '73 LJ Torana

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

Well ive been on this site for a while now and in that time have been coming to the end of my 5 year restoration on this 1973 LJ torana 2 door. Bought it in year 7 with the help of my dad (who fell in love with the car) as a rolling shell in undercoat.

Most of the hard work had been done it was just a big jig saw puzzle for me and dad. only last year had it become time to get it sprayed after alot of on and off work (i only go 2 dads every 2nd w/e and with school...you no how it is)...

so got it sprayed and i was over the moon, this kick started the project again and within 6 months its to this point. The other week i went for the road worthy and it got knocked back, took it back later that week and it was all sweet. Soon to be registered now can't wait to go cruising.

Big thanks to @milco@ for lending me his horn cap for the roady....

Specs:

Well its all pretty standard, 173 red motor, extractors, 320 Hollie, possibly a cam not 2 sure, and 2 1/2" exhaust system right through.

I re-trimmed all the door panles, parcle shelf and kick panles, ( i no its pretty basic but happy i did them myself, i think they came up fine)

Have a full sound system through the car....F'n loud i tells ya!!! 6" 4-way sony Xplod in the doors...6x9's in the shelf...12 inch sub 1300W...1400W monoblock amp...and sum model H/U from the states, its all Xplod and for $1000 im very happy with the outcome.

Thats the thing with these old cars you put a sub in them and they don't rattle at all like the commodores or jap cars...all metal.

The wheels on it in the pics are Globes but we bought them only for the roadworthy (tyres) i have a set of deltas (need to take a pic) and get the tyres changed should look heaps better.

OK now for pics...these are only recent pics, in the 5 yrs my hard drive crashed and lost soooo many good pics of the build up it's so dissapointing...o well...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The oldest pic i have of the car...just off the trailer after the spray job
Posted Image

Will have some interiour and engine bay pics up soon!!!

Thanks for looking Matt

#2 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

Too fast lol...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Have no cap atm gave it back to @[email protected] again mate
Posted Image

#3 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,079 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

I like :D

Tim

#4 _shep3305_

_shep3305_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

Mate it looks great, you and your dad have done a smick job... looks straight for such a dark color.... :clap: :clap:

#5 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:45 PM

Plans are to get the windows tinted a few shades darker.

Also i hav a 202 which iv'e also been rebuilding, just need a cam. Once thats together i'll probly drop that in with the M20 behind it.

And one day, i'd love to get the seats redone nicely, atm i only have seat covers on, the front seats are fine but the rears are different colours (top and bottom)

Thanks for the feedback fellas its always nice to hear compliments on your hard work.

Cheers matt

#6 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:58 PM

I loike it. I loike it a lot!

Question. What is that gold thing on the drivers side of the engine bay? It looks like a cartoon image of a gold thing super imposed into the picture??? WTF?

#7 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:11 AM

Hey, I remember seein this car in readers ridesin Street machine a year or so ago.
the new paint job makes it look so much better.

#8 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

Question. What is that gold thing on the drivers side of the engine bay? It looks like a cartoon image of a gold thing super imposed into the picture??? WTF?

Jird its the cap of the master cylinder, we had all the nuts and bolts zinc plated and that got thrown in the mix. Or r you talking about the horns...we bought them painted gold, been meaning to change them Cheers

tyrefryer...yer it was in street machine earlier in the year thanks

#9 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

howdy everyone,

its been a little while since an update, after we got her on the road. you all probably know that once its on the road small things pop up that either need adjusting or replacing, well thats what this is about...

firstly the master cylinder began leaking quite badly which is sort of fixed, but we find after a journey or two, there can be a small puddle on the inner fender. Would this be from tipping over the front whilst breaking???

the brakes all needed a good bleed and adjust....tick

and every since we got the car and the gtr dash, the fuel gauge always read FULL, but we knew the tank wasnt. dad thought the whole time it was the gauge itself, so i went off and fitted the full sub box and amp up against the back seats...silly silly.

the problem has come down to the fuel sender in the tank, BUT i couldnt get to it because of the sub box. lets just say its been a fun w/e. and i still havent found out what the problem is because the sender seems to be fine...

piccys

trying to get to the sender grrrrr. all my hard work
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

finally i hav a picture of the mags that will b on sooooon
Posted Image

#10 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

awesome car, love the plates :)

#11 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

Check the wire to the fuel gauge is ok,if it earths out gauge will read full.Might be something to look out for.

#12 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

haha FIXED IT!!! took all day and was the strangest thing that could be doing it. right under the fuel sender nozzel there is a small washer holding a copper strip down to the mechanism/resistor part...well that silly washer was not connecting well with the copper strip and creating massive resistance, therefore FULL TANK all the time.

little bit of a sand and couple of dobs of solder and all is good!!!

Matt

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

Posted Image

Ahh I love those wheels, never even seen a full set of them. Any idea of what they are called?

#14 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

Looks good mate. :spoton: :rockon:

Steve

#15 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:46 AM

Ahh I love those wheels, never even seen a full set of them. Any idea of what they are called?

Heath from what i gather they are Delta's which is what it says on the mag and the centre cap...but ive seen other 'deltas' and they are so much different to my design. but very sure they are deltas.

#16 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

Yeah centre cap doesn't mean much but if it's cast onto the mag then there you go. Thanks!

13x7"?

#17 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

13X7" ?

yeah mate sure are, after they get cleaned up i rekon they will suite real nice.

thanks fo the comments 2

matt

#18 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:53 AM

Is your car lowered?

I have scrubbing issues on the back drivers side when i put my 13x7 Hotwires on. Car is lowered 1".

Steve

#19 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:08 PM

I had 16x 7s with 45 profile tyres and had no scrubbing problems lowered 1 inch.

#20 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

Steve i have no problems with scrubbing. the car isnt lowered though. it does however have stiffer racing springs in the rear and i think if anything it raises it slightly.

Is running really well atm, just neededs a good tunning and im set!!!

Matt

#21 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

WWWOOOOOOHHHHOOOOOO!!!!

Just got the mags back from being cleaned up.

Look a million bucks!

Dad knew a bloke from his old work and he did them for $25 each....

here we go

thanksPosted Image

#22 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:41 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#23 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

Mate looks a million bucks!

#24 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

WOW!
they look heaps better.
I need to get my new ones professionally done.
I doubted those wheels before, but now all polished up they look GRAND or 'horn' as some members say.

#25 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

Well its been a while but the car has new springs and the new wheels on and i think it looks tops, here ya go..

Will be at the drags and i still need to give it a polish but yea too excited atm, and looks like the 202 wont be finished in time.

Posted Image

Matt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users