igniton setup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _lcgtr308_

_lcgtr308_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

hey all just wondering what everyone thought of the msd ignition kit (distributor leads etc etc) you can get for 308s. is it worth getting for a mild 308

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

mate, pretty much anything msd you cant go wrong. bloody good brand, and the only igniton component i have anywhere in my torana.

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:21 PM

Buy it from the states..1/2 price even with freight...at 90c in the dollar.
try
www.northern.auto parts.com
Good by me.9 days deliver.
R

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:53 AM

nothing on that address rorym

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:14 AM

Try this:
http://www.northernautoparts.com/

#6 _lcgtr308_

_lcgtr308_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:08 AM

thanks boys might just have to get me one then

#7 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

Part No. is 6420.
R

#8 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

in my honest opinion dont go MSD go with a IC&E set up from victoria. they use an Electonic bosch dizzy and regraph etc at least have a look as there are a few members here who can vouch for IC&E

But the question why do you want to go to MSD ignition?

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

cause its THE BEST :P.

i've never used ic&e myself, but some mates of mine played with a ic&e tweaked dizzy on there holden six, cost a fortune. and to say the least it was GFFA. but i have heard a lot of good things about them.

also try www.summitracing.com in the states. i get a fair bit of gear through them, and so do a couple of other forum members i know of. always a pleasure to deal with.

cheers.

#10 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

cause its THE BEST :P.

i wouldnt put my bottom dollar on that either :tease:

to be honest i have reports that the Crane fireball system can pack more of a spark.

But yes MSD has built up a reputation but if you want a really good ignition like anything you will have to pay up.

#11 _lcgtr308_

_lcgtr308_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:09 AM

yea im just rebuilding my motor at the moment and needed a new distributor and ignition setup and thought i would see wat brands everyone uses.

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:56 PM

red ones go faster :P
Posted Image

#13 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

You have some blue bits :tease: (coil)

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

yeah i know, annoying ey :P. was thinking about painting it but decided against it. still looks cool like that.

#15 _Titan_summoner_

_Titan_summoner_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

Decided this topic needs a bit of a stupid question, so hear goes. i've come to the conclusion in a diffrent topic, that my coil has seen the end of it's life. As i have to replace it, i've decided to replace it with an MSD coil. However upon a quick look of their website, and variosu internet resources, i am now totally confused!

I have a UC Torana, with a VK red Engine, with black EFI system. i was also wondering, if their are multiable models that will fit, which is the best for a daily driver, that isn't apposed to spending a few extra dollars to get a bit more power/reliability. And if it's worth changing the Dizzy while im at it?

i appreciate any and all input, thanks alot!

#16 _lcgtr308_

_lcgtr308_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

hey all,
just in the middle of ordering my ignition setup. was getting it from summit racing. just wondering if the wiring was included when you order the msd6al ignition box of if you have to order it separetly.

#17 _dags383_

_dags383_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hi,
As far as i know all MSD ignition systems come with a harness which you then splice into your own system. I bought a Digital 6 unit from JEGS and it came with the wiring and instructions. I had to buy another adaptor for my LT1 Chev engine but otherwise it was a simple install.

Just a word on using Summit/Jegs and the like they charge like wounded bulls on packaging and handling and also you usually dont have a choice in the freight department. I bought only my Digital 6 from JEGS and that has been the only item. Once bitten, twice shy. I use a full MSD ignition system including Dizzy, coil and i had to buy wiring adaptors from MSD also. I bought them from Ebay no USD $25 - $35 packing and handling charge and the people i bought them from gave me options using USPS. The savings were great.

Over 100 purchases from EBay USA and not one bad or lost item.

Cheers,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users