Photo

Getting The Steering Arm Off The Tie-rod End!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

Well, Just got back from Harrop, And it is definatly the worst customer service i have had in a long time!

I walk in and the guy is cursing behind the counter about his printer etc, Says he will be with me in a second while he continues to swear and curse his head off, F bombs, C bombs etc etc... Finally after about 5-10 min of waiting there listening to that he deals with me... again terribly slow and still swearing...

Finally go to pay for the item.... Eftpos machine reads $342! I said, just wait, its $297 on the website. He tells me i am wrong and they have been this price for ages,. I make him go look at the website, because it clearly states $297. Unwillingly he looks it up on the computer... Then i get, "f*ck mate, you are basically stealing these off me, you are getting a f*cking bargain!" In a tone of voice that makes it sound like its my fault that the price is only $297. What a f*ckwit!

Anyway i get them for that price, Still getting the Cursing and swearing...

If i did not desperatly need the part, i would have told him to his face that he was a f*ckwit and walked out... I will try and contact harrop in regards to the issue. Because i think its just piss-poor!

I will not be going back to harrop in the future...

#27 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

Same thing happened when I got Wraith's E.C.U's VATS turned off.
Was quoted $250 but when I picked it up they said $275? They hadn't added GST in the original verbal quote. No drama, no arguments got it for $250 :spoton:

#28 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

That isn't good to hear MRLXSS, I thought they would have been more professional than that.

#29 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

Harrops have always been fine every time I've walked in through the door. Mind you, anybody can have a bad day at the office.

#30 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

It's no skin off my nose. 

I just wish I had $1 for every time I pointed out that the UC ones will handle like crap and another bonus $1 for every one who said "nah - I don't understand what bumpsteer is and I can't see it so I will just pretend it doesn't exist and go with the UC ones that still fit on."

I would probably have the money to free issue the harrop arms to everyone then. :tease:

This is from page 2 in the link in your sig:

I have now plotted the bumpsteer curves using the 3 differnt steering arms fitted to the HQ to HZ (and a9x) stub axle as shown above. The A9X setup is close to ideal - this is measured using 3 degrees postive castor - Interrestingly this setup would be pretty much ideal bumpsteer if I took the castor up to approx 4 degrees, the UC arm would be the pic of the arms if I backed the castor down to approx 1.5 degrees positive

After doing around 60,000 wheel alignments in the 21 years I spent in the tyre industry, I can state that most of the Toranas I aligned had the castor around zero to +1.5. I can't recall EVER seeing one at +4.

#31 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

Finally go to pay for the item.... Eftpos machine reads $342! I said, just wait, its $297 on the website. He tells me i am wrong and they have been this price for ages,. I make him go look at the website, because it clearly states $297. Unwillingly he looks it up on the computer... Then i get, "f*ck mate, you are basically stealing these off me, you are getting a f*cking bargain!" In a tone of voice that makes it sound like its my fault that the price is only $297. What a f*ckwit!

Well their $341.00 inc GST now

#32 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

You have done exceptionally well getting them for only $297! I bought my Harrop arms years ago - probably close to 6 - 8 years I reckon.. and I remember paying that same price back then!

Very unprofessional behaving like that in front of customers though.

#33 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:26 AM

Anything over 3 degrees castor....I personally ...have found you need arms like Arnie to steer it...
I was a bit confused as well Chopper as I remember M@ saying the UC were a good compromise at 1.5 dregrees castor.??.

Confused now.
R

#34 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

Most customers complained the steering was too heavy at +1 castor. If you were doing circle work, use +4. If you use it for the shopping, don't go over +1/2.

#35 _maxpower1000hp_

_maxpower1000hp_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:25 PM

Well, Just got back from Harrop, And it is definatly the worst customer service i have had in a long time!

I walk in and the guy is cursing behind the counter about his printer etc, Says he will be with me in a second while he continues to swear and curse his head off, F bombs, C bombs etc etc... Finally after about 5-10 min of waiting there listening to that he deals with me... again terribly slow and still swearing...

Anyway i get them for that price, Still getting the Cursing and swearing...

If i did not desperatly need the part, i would have told him to his face that he was a f*ckwit and walked out... I will try and contact harrop in regards to the issue. Because i think its just piss-poor!

I will not be going back to harrop in the future...

looks like nothing has changed there in years same fark wit, they might need some dark justice(justice under the cover for darkness)

#36 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

I hate going to all Auto-shops these days! 95% of the people who work there wouldn't know a piston from a brake pad!

Funny you say this cos today I went into an auto store looking for a front brake pad spreader, couldnt see one so I asked the kid behind the counter then had to explain what it was so he goes away and comes back with an old guy saying "you want to spread the piston rings?" :rolleyes:

#37 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

Just use a pair of tyre levers or screwdrivers, if the caliper is off the stub axle. You might bugger up the old pads, but they were going to be chucked anyway.

#38 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:51 AM

I hate going to all Auto-shops these days! 95% of the people who work there wouldn't know a piston from a brake pad!

Funny you say this cos today I went into an auto store looking for a front brake pad spreader, couldnt see one so I asked the kid behind the counter then had to explain what it was so he goes away and comes back with an old guy saying "you want to spread the piston rings?" :rolleyes:

HAHAH! Typical!!!!

#39 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

Just use a pair of tyre levers or screwdrivers, if the caliper is off the stub axle. You might bugger up the old pads, but they were going to be chucked anyway.

an old g clamp does the trick as well

#40 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

or a hammer and a punch :D

#41 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

A hammer and chisel works on stubborn oil filters, haven't tried it on brakes though.

#42 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, i just use a G clamp if i am putting new pads in...

#43 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

ive got a big ass set of multi grips we have gclamps at work but its heaps quicker n just as easy to use the moner grips :spoton:

#44 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

I used a G clamp first but it broke :(

#45 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

Next time use a G string.

#46 _mervex_

_mervex_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:38 PM

If you think Harrops steering arms are too expensive,simply return them,get your money back, and buy them somewhere else .

#47 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:06 PM

If you think Harrops steering arms are too expensive,simply return them,get your money back, and buy them somewhere else .

Where else can you Buy A9X (Real or Replica) Steering Arms?

#48 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

Not many places other than Harrop sell Harrop arms. Yet to see anybody else so far. And as for trying to find L34/A9X steering arms, don't hold your grand childs breath.

#49 _mervex_

_mervex_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

Thats right.No one else has gone to the trouble to make dies and patterns.He probly has not regained the money invested in this years ago.Just spend the money once,and every time you drive the car you will be glad you did.It may sound like a lot,but like the lady says on the tv"your worth it"

#50 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:16 AM

It was the quality of service I got for $300 that i was pissed off about...

Upon driving the car, they have made a massive difference! No Bump steer at all, and it feels lighter up front too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users