Tow Hook / Towing Point

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _Chaotic_

_Chaotic_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:46 AM

G'day

Just wondering if people have any pictures of where they've fitted tow hooks or loops for towing purposes.

Cheers,
Baz.

#2 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

I usually weld an old U bolt from leaf spring to the centre, lower side of the crossmember.

On LH/X's I have also cut a slot in the bumper to slip a plate with a hole in it up alongside the bumper mount. I then weld this on to the bumper mount. Only problem with this is it pokes out a bit and makes walking in front of the car hazardous in a small garage.

#3 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:07 PM

Most of the drag cars I have taken photos dont even have a hook! So I looked through the Hillclimb cars and found a few.

The actual racecars have the solid hook where as the show type cars had the rope/webbing.

Posted Image

I have adjusted these to show the hooks

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:40 PM

Just wondering if people have any pictures of where they've fitted tow hooks or loops for towing purposes.

Ideally, somewhere solid and not too low. If it's being towed, chances are it'll be going up some ramps.

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:25 AM

LH/LX to the bumper bar bolt/bracket. You can buy high tensile top loops from Revolution for about $30 each. A mongrel to drill (which you have to do) but good.

#6 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:23 PM

See above.

#7 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

LH/LX to the bumper bar bolt/bracket. You can buy high tensile top loops from Revolution for about $30 each. A mongrel to drill (which you have to do) but good.

Hi Yella, do you have any photo's o this? Both before and after fitting would be good :)
My car is on and off Strugglers truck so much I think I need one lol.
Seriously though it would be handy because if due care is not taken one can easy break the front spoiler especially when the car has been lowered.

Cheers
Herne

#8 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

This isn't the best pic, but this is how I setup a tow point on my LX - I just bought an off-the-shelf loop/hook thingy, and screwed it into the existing bolt hole.... it's pushing my memory, but I'm pretty sure I simply removed one of the original bumper bolts.

Look at the underside of the bumper on the driver's side.....

Posted Image

#9 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

Brett, that's exactly what i've been looking for. So it only has one bolt holding it on? I think yours is the better option because it doesn't protrude past the bumper which is unslightly and dangerous.

PS: Your car is a GOD :D

Cheers
Marty

#10 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

I did the same thing.

Just replace the bottom bolt with the eye bolt for using seatbelt harness mounts.

Welby

Posted Image

#11 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

thats a great idea but the hooks that the tender vehicles have at the tracks are probably too big for these small eyelets

#12 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

Yes, the eyelets are on the smallish side - (the photos do make them look smaller than they actually are though). It just depends what you're trying to hook onto them. It would be a good idea to keep some extra bits and pieces in the glovebox - ie. some adapters etc which could be looped through, which in turn would allow for bigger hooks to link up. But I've used mine with no probs as is.

Welby - your setup with the twin eyelets look tough! Thanks for posting a clearer picture than mine - that's a much better angle to show everyone.

And Marty - yes the eyelet is one single piece - it just screws straight in. My car also says thank you for your compliment, lol.

#13 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

Hi Guys,

Having seen how they snatch cars out of the sand traps and other "off road" locations. Sometimes even without "snatch straps"

Would you not worry that the angle those eyebolt are yanked at might cause them to twist the bumper or even brake off?

Due to the bits fitted to the front of A9X toranas, I have also pondered this hook up issue without the thing looking ugly.

I really don't want to remove the "Wombat plough TM" for access to the x member.

Has anyone had good results with flatebed tow trucks and low cars??

Cheers

#14 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

Thanks guys.

I have plenty of recovery experience and quals and can speak comfortably on the subject.

The decision on where to put tow hooks came about from a number of criteria.

Firstly, we didn't want a big ugly loop hanging out the front. Especially with road registration which doesn't allow objects in front of the bumper which may cause injury in the case of accident.
We wanted it to double as a tie down point for the trailer.
the type of racing we do does not lend itself to 'quick snatch ' recovery. Basically, if we have an off in targa, it's wait for the stage to be closed before recovery.

What i have is a quick detachable loop that fits the eyelet and can then be used to attach a shackle or hook on a tow rope. It sits in the car within reach of myself and the navigator so he either attaches it orpasses it out for attachment.

For tie downs, it fits standard tie down straps perfectly.

As to the brackets, the bumper bar attachment points are as strong or if not stronger than anything else that immeadiately comes to mind in that general area on a Torana.

Looking at all the options, it was a very good call covering most of the requirements. Baron, i strongly suggest you keep it in mind when looking at your options as they are in line with our concerns. You would also have the same thoughts as to recovery and i dare say your hatch is going to be as close to a sand dune as mine.

But all good points raised.

Welby

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

Firstly, we didn't want a big ugly loop hanging out the front. Especially with road registration which doesn't allow objects in front of the bumper which may cause injury in the case of accident.
We wanted it to double as a tie down point for the trailer.
the type of racing we do does not lend itself to 'quick snatch ' recovery. Basically, if we have an off in targa, it's wait for the stage to be closed before recovery.

I like your thinking. So do you keep a couple of D shackles on the hooks when you're likely to need them?

#16 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

What i have is a quick detachable loop that fits the eyelet and can then be used to attach a shackle or hook on a tow rope. It sits in the car within reach of myself and the navigator so he either attaches it orpasses it out for attachment

It's similar to a s hook but with a spring latch on it. Then we keep 2 bow shackles in the spares/tool bag.

Welby

#17 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for your response Welby.

Sand dune, some would say I currently have the 4x4 super lift suspension.

I am waiting to put it on the road and let the new bushes, etc settle first.

Cheers

#18 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

This is what Steve from S&E auto's designed for quick hook up just in case i ran in to trouble at gazzanats.

Attached File  IMG_4668-2.JPG   146.48K   7 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4666.JPG   67.09K   5 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4665-3.JPG   66.37K   5 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4667-2.JPG   100.61K   5 downloads

#19 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

If im not mistaken tinkers, thats my silver 4 door, with the fabric tow hook.
I just drilled a hole for a bolt in the bumper bracket and made a slot for the tow strp to poke through.
You will want to check the rule book for what you want to do.
CAMS stipulate a min hole size of 40mm, red, yellow or orange in colour, whatever one is more distinct againest colour if car and must be able to pull the car over a xx height bump flat towing.
Velo make universal fabric ones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users