The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

G'day Guys,

As some of you know my girlfriend has just got herself another UC and got it registered. It is her daily driver, but its going through HEAPS of petrol!

It is a completely stock Red 202 Auto, With A/C in a UC.

At the moment she is getting about 250k's out of a tank! Which is just terrible!!! We are looking for a few mods that will improve economy. (My V8's gets better economy! LOL)

We have a Electronic Dizzy that is going in on the weekend. What Spark plug gap should we run and what timing to? For economy.

Are there some other mods we can do that will save her Fuel and money?

The diff ratio i am pretty sure is a 2.78 or 3.08 (I'll have to double check)

The Tyres are 185/75/13's (pretty sure they are 75 profile, could be 70's)

It runs the standard Single Barrel Carby (Can we easily tune these to use less petrol?)

Anyway, any ideas are GREATLY appreciated... The car in the next month or so is going to be booked in for a gas conversion. But hopefully these mods will increase economy for both gas and petrol.

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

Its the carby... I would pull it of and re kit it..this would cost about $30...but it helps if you know what you are doing.

Plug gap for HEI ignition is 1 mm..depends which books you read...some say 1.3 others 1.5...1 mm is fine and it is not that critical. Timing will need to be set correctly. Do you have a timing light? if so Disconnect the vac advance line and plug it, set the timing at 6 degrees, lock it up and reconnect vac advance line.

Edited by FastEHHolden, 17 June 2008 - 09:14 AM.

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:14 AM

What Spark plug gap should we run and what timing to? For economy.

1mm gap and timing set with the highest possible advance and engine vacuum will give best economy and power.

It runs the standard Single Barrel Carby (Can we easily tune these to use less petrol?)

You could go leaning it out but ur right foot is the best tool to use here.
Just make sure the carb is in the best working order, alot of guys go wrong here, trying to tune a shit carby.
Again, whilst setting the timing, use the vacuum gauge to get the highest possible vacuum.

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

Good idea on a kit through the carby.... When she converts to gas I'm not sure what set-up she will go. But She will probably save her $30 from the first tank full!

#5 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

What carby are you actually running?

Maybe going to a two barrel like a WW could actually help.

You could find, that she is using the right foot alot due to the lack of power.

Ive got triple SUs on my 202 in my LJ and i get ALOT more then 250kays to the 35litre tank.

#6 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

Its some tiny little single barrel thing... Her WILD UC gets heaps better economy. Its a Blue 202 with the 2 Barrel (Webber? Stromberg? i dont know. I'm a V8 boy)

#7 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

If she is definately going gas, save your $30 and park the car for the week or 2...I recommend straight gas and get a dedicated gas mixer..one that gets rid of the carby altogether.

#8 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

If she is definately going gas, save your $30 and park the car for the week or 2...I recommend straight gas and get a dedicated gas mixer..one that gets rid of the carby altogether.

I agree, dual fuel sux, I hate it. its one or the other in my books

so as fast eh said park it until the lpg conversion is done, or another option is to get the thing working properly on petrol, I was able to get about 450kays to a tank with a 350 holley and a heavy foot after I disconnected my lpg and rebuilt the carb, I was getting about 150kays per tank on petrol beforehand.

if you spend money on the single barrel now it would be a waste of time in my opinion as its likely that they will remove it for something else when they do the lpg conversion

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

Ok, Maybe for the time being, we will just fit the Elec Dizzy and do the timing. She needs the car for work for the next few weeks. So there aint much she can do.

I agree on the straight gas set-ups. I ran an Impco on my HQ and it worked pretty well. (Heaps better than when it was "Dual Fuel" LOL)

#10 _nunganunga_

_nunganunga_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

If you are running dual fuel, get a spud mixer fitted to the single barrel(I would insist on this). Fit a high compression head to make the most out of the high octane fuel.
Recurve the dizzy before you go to the trouble of changing it.

Dual fuel is the best option on a stock red six in my opinion. You can tune spark and modify compression to suit gas and keep petrol as a back up. The only limitation with dual fuel is the type of mixer you sometimes have to use, but a spud in a single stromie works great!

I would pop the top off the carby and check the float level in the meantime, also the power valve has a habit of coming loose.

#11 _wraith75_

_wraith75_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

matty i think maddy is out dragracing in it cos she can do a better burn out than u iv got the pic to prove it hehe .

#12 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

Turn it off! it's the only way :tease:

#13 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

Can you fit a Varajet to it off a commodore,should use less petrol than a single stromberg,

#14 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

Sleeve and de-stroke down to 138.

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

Just filled up my Ute tonight... Got a whopping 239kms out of 45 Litres of petrol... f*ck THAT! Anyone else getting bad economy? Maybe the f*ckers are watering down the petrol!

#16 _bones_

_bones_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

Sleeve and de-stroke down to 138.

Maybe you should go the other way. Bore and stroke it to about 600 cubes. 250 kays out of a tank would be easier to stomach then.

#17 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

Cut 2 cylinders off, then you can call it something flash like a ....... Hmmm ........ Maybe ........ a Starfire!

#18 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

Cut 2 cylinders off, then you can call it something flash like a ....... Hmmm ........ Maybe ........ a Starfire!

Hey! Yeah!
Your brother could help you, he likes Starfires. :spoton:

#19 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

Id have to agree with Bones on this one :spoton:

#20 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

I Like your thinking bones!

#21 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

Anyone else getting bad economy? Maybe the f*ckers are watering down the petrol!

I don't want to change the subject but I firmly beleive that crap petrol is being sold thru the discount joints.

I fill my VT up with my locals version of ethanol blend and it says I will get 430 km..which I am very lucky if i get that...but a tank of premium (who can afford that?) says I will do 690 km.

Obviously there are a ton of variables here...but I can fuel up on premium and drive to the Gold Coast (from Gosford) but there is not a hope on cheap stuff and this is in a car that is smart enough to work stuff out for itself....what hope has a Torry got?

I reckon crap fuel combined with a buggered carby could easily get that kind of economy. Back when i first got my EH it managed 275 km on its 40 lt tank and it was bog stock...a bigger cam, YT head and Holley 350 later and it got 400km for 40 lt.

I now get about 6 km a litre on gas.

#22 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

Anyone else getting bad economy? Maybe the f*ckers are watering down the petrol!

I don't want to change the subject but I firmly beleive that crap petrol is being sold thru the discount joints.

I fill my VT up with my locals version of ethanol blend and it says I will get 430 km..which I am very lucky if i get that...but a tank of premium (who can afford that?) says I will do 690 km.

Obviously there are a ton of variables here...but I can fuel up on premium and drive to the Gold Coast (from Gosford) but there is not a hope on cheap stuff and this is in a car that is smart enough to work stuff out for itself....what hope has a Torry got?

I reckon crap fuel combined with a buggered carby could easily get that kind of economy. Back when i first got my EH it managed 275 km on its 40 lt tank and it was bog stock...a bigger cam, YT head and Holley 350 later and it got 400km for 40 lt.

I now get about 6 km a litre on gas.

Funny you say about the crap petrol. I had been filling up on the 7-11 Ethanol blend and getting very good economy (400-450k's a tank @ city driving @ 14.9L/100km's)

Then i Filled up on Regular Mobil Unleaded (Actually cost more Per litre than the normal Eth blend) and got 18.75L/100! When i Filled up last night it said the tank will only get 360k's out of the tank! Almost 100ks less than what is normally says!

With figures like that, i think i will switch back to Premium Fuel, as its actually cheaper...

#23 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:23 AM

It sounds like Maddy has the same problem that I have with my daily driver hatchback - it's under-powered, and just guzzles juice like crazy. To get the car going, you have to use the right foot too much - I honestly think this is a case of where having more power (and torque) would be cheaper to cruise with.

My hatch with the stock 253 and 2barrel Stromberg is horrible on fuel - I mean really bad! I have mates with mild 308's that make twice the power (literally) and return better economy when cruising.

I also remember my old 202 - once again, when cruising, I used to get better economy when I had my triple SU's tuned up, than running the single 350 Holley. The motor was just so much sharper and more responsive with the triples, that I barely had to touch the throttle.

I don't think there's much you can do if you're about to change things soon anyway - but if you were thinking long term with her same setup - I'd be paying some attention to her carb - even getting it on the dyno too.

#24 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:58 PM

If you have the stock aircleaner on it, through it away. I gained 3MPG by putting a sports airfilter on it

#25 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

Getting the carb rebuilt sounds like the go.

When i stuck the manual in the LJ i had the carby rebuilt and i have been getting 12 - 15litres/100, untill i stuck the cam in last Christmas.

Steve

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users