MSD 6AL drama's

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _ucongas_

_ucongas_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

My MSD 6AL has failed, one of the larger ceramic resitors has turned to dust along with a few tracks in the board, anyone familiar with the components I need to fix this ? It would appear to be the secondary resistor as the car would run fine up to about 2400 RPM.

Thanks. PJ.
:spit:

#2 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:02 AM

from memory the msd units had unmarked components to prevent copies but I knew someone that managed to reproduce one model cct boards and all, still have an unassembled kit some where and a couple of originals, worked well on my LH V8 back in the 80s

#3 _ucongas_

_ucongas_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

The msd that I have, 6al , it's components are readily ID'd if they arent already blown away.. you may need a magnifying glass and 20/20 vision.. MSD doesnt make it easy.

OK.. so I went to the electronic shop and bought a full series of ceramics to replace the exploded one.. starting from
the leat resistance to the most.. at about 600 ohm it started to smoke and the engine revved freely to 6000rpm,

I am looking at the voltage regulator now as I suspect it was the initial fault.. the equivelant part number is 2n6504 or 2n6509, these are available thourgh farnell components, they are on the web.

Hope I can help anyone with busted arse 6AL's.

Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users