650mm rolling diameter to big for rear lx hatch

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

i was after a 275/40/17 tyre for the back of my car.it has a 656mm rolling diameter.i went and got a 205/60/16 to try before i ordered the wheels.i needed 2 tyres for the rims anyways.they have a 650mm rolling diameter.glad i did before i spent my hard earned,they dont fit
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
now its not quiet as bad as that looks.its about 2mm to big each side.thats not with clearance though.after a quick bit of investigation i found this
Posted Image
Posted Image
i remember my painter telling me they were a bit small,and we agreed to center the flare.u can just put your finger between the inside lip of flare,and the original lip.theese were purchased from rare spares.i cannot run the size i wanted to on the back now.the look on the painters face would be priceless though if i asked him to redo it :).i have decided to fit 18x10 with a 265/35/18 on it,with a rolling diameter of 641mm.i am yet to confirm this fits though but it should.
anybody else have this prob,or are your flares bigger

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

Its very hard to get a good set of rear flares, they all curve too far inward at the front and rear exactly as yours do (they should not curve back toward the wheel at all). It is possible to stretch the front out further if you are careful but there's not much you can do at the back end. I run 265/50/15s which work out somewhere between 620mm and 635mm depending on exactly how you measure them, they fit reasonably well (only issue is at top with low car and wide wheels). Your wheels don't look like they are as big as 656mm - given the position of the diff it looks like you could make them clear just by tweaking the front of the flare out.

I have a crummy set of flares on it at present but gives you a bit of an idea of where to gain space at the front edge:

Posted Image

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

My flares bow in, just like 76lxhatch has mentioned. To fit my 265/50's i had to cut away my flares...

Dont really have any pics to show what im talkin about though.

Posted Image

You can see how close mine is there..

This is when i first fitted my wheels and thought "bugger"

Posted Image

#4 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

I had the exact same problem as you all , accept i was trying to get a 295/50/15 in.
i had to butcher up the flares that were on the car to get them to fit.
Rocket put me onto a guy that has extra wide flares for this exact problem.
i fitted myne up and they required no chopping. I was a very happy camper.
They are currently at the painters getting painted and i will post pics in the next week or so with how they look.

Evan.

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

Evan would be very keen to see those. MRLXSS, I spent a lot of time and effort getting them as best I could but never even thought of cutting them! That would have been so much easier...

#6 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

seems like a common prob.mine bend in to.if the 265/35/18 fits in with a rolling diameter of 641mm,ill take it.i wont be that fussed about it.if it doesnt,i have no choice other than to mod flares,or fit new ones.

#7 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

seems like a common prob.mine bend in to.if the 265/35/18 fits in with a rolling diameter of 641mm,ill take it.i wont be that fussed about it.if it doesnt,i have no choice other than to mod flares,or fit new ones.

#8 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

Im running 275/40/17 no dramas on my hatch, you can check them in my gallery, click on my garage link below
cheers

Edited by SS Hatchback, 22 October 2008 - 07:13 PM.

#9 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

sorry just read your last posts now after posting myself, maybe the flare could have been stretch slightly when the holes were drilled to the car

Edited by SS Hatchback, 22 October 2008 - 07:33 PM.

#10 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

thanks for the replies.sshatch u are a lucky man :).maybee u have flares fitted, made by someone different.i would love to see some photos of your gaps,if possible :).mrlxss if you could post some photos of your modified flares that would be cool :).according to the search i did in paint and panel,wilson flares are the best.i got mine from rare spares,duuno who made them. i think i just took it for granted that the wheels would fit.building a car is a mine field sometimes.its not what u know,its what u dont know that always gets you into trouble.
evan sounds like u are on to a wina gw :)
76lxhatch my flares bolt up perfect besides being a bit small,and i cannot stretch the front out at all :(,and that wheel is definalty a 650mm roling diameter.
id like to save other hatch owners from the dramas,disapointment.dont fit flares that are to small across the wheel arch if u want a big rolling diameter

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:09 AM

The one in my photo is from Rare Spares too, I sent them some photos of them unfitted showing the hideous curve and they were most apologetic. Stretching them out is possible but fibreglass doesn't bend much so a fair amount of force (and care not to break!) is required as well as twisting - you would need to completely remove all the bolts and start again making fresh holes, from the centre of the flare. You can't really tell but the rear of mine is nowhere near in line with the bottom of the panel as it should be, it angles up badly toward the wheel (like 2 or 3 inches out).

#12 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

just curious.how long ago,did u buy them from rare spares?.wounder if they still sell them even after your photos?.i would have bought mine around 3 years ago

#13 _Racelx_

_Racelx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

Guys,

Further to these posts, Can anyine advise whats the largest diameter and width front tyres you can throw on the front running flares? I am tossing up with either 17 or 15 simmons and will be running slicks. Not worried about legality as will be a race only car.

Thanks

#14 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

yer for sure ill get some photo's up of myne when they get on.
Another thing that i learnt is spend the extra $$ on getting some low profile tyres. You have to do a lot of searching but you can get them, and they cost about double, but still cheaper than having to order new flares and hving to get them painted, etc because you had to butcher up your old flares and are not happy with it.

Evan.

#15 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

ass308 I bought mine less than 6 months ago, they did mention trying to find a new supplier but with no luck when I informed them of the quality.

Racelx I have 225/50/15s on the front which are the largest diameter I can comfortably fit with the firewall lip flattened. I think maybe clearance could be created for slightly bigger diameter before having to resort to more major modifications. I don't really like the larger wheels because the tyre ends up too low profile but see this for example: http://www.gmh-toran.......c=30311&hl= . I think the hardest part is trying not to have the front and rear look too mismatched in size. The width and offset of the wheel affects the front end a lot too because it hits when turning, wheels that don't fill out the flares get more clearance but don't look as good.

#16 _Racelx_

_Racelx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

Thanks 76lxhatch for the link and details. I guess for me the issue is getting as much rubber inbto the track as possible, pretty things like making the flares nice and tidy arent that important but for peole with road cars, i completely understand and agree a mismatch isnt nice at all.
I was thinking 17x9's and 17x11's based on all the threads i have read here ands in saying that I did have 255 x 50 x 15's and 275 x 50 x 15 on my SS hatch many years ago with no issues and yes i do miss it :cry:

#17 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:48 PM

Actually something that I never thought of is that you may not need much wheel lock on the track - since the wheels hit front and rear when turning hard lock (not at the top or sides) you might be able to get away with a lot more diameter up front.

#18 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

My rolling diameter on the rear is 700mm( Micky Thompson L50's), and it took a lot of flair cutting and glassing to fit. The fronts are 14 x 245 x 50 and they don't touch anywhere did not need to cut flairs at all.

#19 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

thanks for the replies.sshatch u are a lucky man :).maybee u have flares fitted, made by someone different.i would love to see some photos of your gaps,if possible :).

Ill try to get some pics up tonight for you

#20 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

you need to try and get your flares as quickly as they are made, that way the glass is green and can be stretched easier

#21 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

Guys,

Further to these posts, Can anyine advise whats the largest diameter and width front tyres you can throw on the front running flares? I am tossing up with either 17 or 15 simmons and will be running slicks. Not worried about legality as will be a race only car.

Thanks

The slicks on the front will be fine with 15" Simmons...For roads I have 225/50-15 on Challengers and they rub front and back on the front flares with the lip flattenned...Rolling diameter of 615mm off memory..the slicks are 585 r/d...no dramas with them.
R

#22 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

Heres the pics as promised,
Posted Image
Posted Image

different angle

Posted Image

#23 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:23 AM

very nice sshatchback.looks like your flares are back against the original guard lips ?.looks like u got a good set there,no curve in at the end.i spoke to my painter last night,and i think my flares are about to get a cut and shut :)

#24 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

they do curve in slightly hard to see in the pic

#25 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

heya guys
just got my wider flares back from the painters today and all fitted up. here are some pics as requested.
Am very happy with them. They don't look quite as good as the ones that have the fiberglass at the rear that goes to the body but, you have gotta make a compromise. You cant really see it any hows with the wheels on. The only cutting i did was i took about 5mm off the inside lip before sending them to paint.
With the 295/50/15's that a rolling diam of 676mm. Commodore offsets on the diff, so 24 mm each side longer and 10 inch rims. Standard ride height. No scrubbing... just.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Enjoy

Evan

Edited by Evan, 03 November 2008 - 09:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users