- - - - -

LH Torana

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

While I have been reading a lot of posts and drawing much inspiration from this site (occasionally adding a potentially useful reply to topics) I have not told most about my own project. This is mainly as I am a believer in��those who can do, and those who can�t talk about it.�

So I post this with purely selfish intentions and that is to draw the information and inspiration I need to finish this project.

I am a life member of the dcc (dust collector club). The original car I purchased to do up was in 2000 a white WB Holden ute, standard 202 with a butchered 3 on the floor. I put in three different requests for approval in principle for proposed modifications with the DPI (department of planning and infrastructure over here in WA) these were for a 308, 350 and finally a turbo 202. Approval in principle was granted for all three and I quickly decided on a turbo 202 after seeing one produce 476 rwhp at a dyno comp, I bought a stata 2 turbo kit with a completely knackered turbo and exhaust manifold. I also somehow managed to buy another completely knackered turbo which wouldn�t fit the completely knackered exhaust manifold. I�ve since realized that the kit probably wouldn�t have fit the 12 port head too (designed for 9 port).

I decided that I would go for a fuel injected setup from a VK and would build a steam pipe style exhaust manifold. After many attempts at the manifold I could not design one that would fit to my satisfaction. I found a gent who is actually a forum member here (who I assume will identify himself if he so wishes to be) who had a turbo 202 installed in a Torana and asked if he could make me an identical manifold.

By this stage I had commenced building a tough 202 blue motor with a yella terra head and yt roller rockers, ACL race series pistons etc.

Eventually I was clever enough to look through the list of ADRs required to register the car with a turbo I quickly came to the realization that the testing required to prove compliance with ADR 27C would cost more than the car did initially to buy and there was no guarantee of passing (only one company at that stage could do the emissions testing in WA and their normal clientelle was vehicle OEMs). The ute and I soon parted ways while the motor and parts stayed in my possession.

I was toyless for a short period before the search for a suitable replacement that would prove easier to register with a turbo motor was found. An LJ was considered however due to the LJ never being released with a v8 I thought that the rego guys would not allow a turbo to be strapped to the largest displacement motor released in the vehicle. I later found a LH torana equipped with 9 inch and chassis stiffening rails without motor or gearbox. Money soon parted and a Torana was parked where the ute was, this was Jan 2007.

The Torana appears largely straight and rust free with the exception of a small portion of the parcel shelf and adjoining boot area. The door keyholes have been filled (central locking installed), interior done with the exception of the dash and the paint is done but so thin you can see through it. The wiring is a complete s__t fight and if I was a braver man I would walk outside with a set of side-cutters and �cut my losses�.

Work has continued on the motor however after further investigations I found that the emission ADR that applied to the newer or either the motor or the vehicle would need to be maintained. As such by the letter of the law I would still need to comply with ADR 27C with my blue motor. Yes I know I could probably have gotten away with it by painting the blue motor red however I was not willing to sink anymore money into something that I MIGHT get away with. I went searching for a red pre 76 202. I found an original bore 202 from a HQ.

The engine has now been built with spec sheet reading:

Red 202 20 thou bored (neoprene rear main-seal)
Blue crank (machined to fit neoprene seal)
Blue rods
ARP rod bolts
ARP head studs
ARP main studs
Main stud girdle
Hypereutectic (hyper-regret it) pistons less than 8:1 CR
Yella Terra Iron 12 port �turbo� head (this has caused me the most headaches out of anything)
Yella Terra Platinum roller rockers 1.6:1
Custom exhaust manifold
T04E 66 turbo
VK efi manifold
Turbosmart progate 48
Custom oiling system including relocated filter and external sump pick-up
Microtech LT12s

Ongoing work:

Fuel system including fuel lines, surge tank and main tank pick-up/return.
Engine mounts (factory mounts don�t fit with my turbo manifold/turbo luckily however I am reasonably good at CAD and have a local laser cutter)
Dashboard
Rewiring whole car
Wiring engine
New heater box design
Installing all glass (except windscreen and rear window)
Intake piping
Exhaust
Gearbox
Tailshaft
Dyno tune
REGO
RACE

My original approval in principle for the turbo motor will expire in June however the speed that I work it is likely that I may have only finished one thing on that list by then� That�s it for the �brief� version of the back-story, from now on the posts will be more specific about work being completed.

If a picture says a thousand words all these photos may nearly double the amount of words in this post.

If anyone reads this whole post I�ll be amazed.

Word count (for interests sake): 956

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

Nice job....I'm at about the same point with my engine....except mine is a 234 with an alloy YT head on it.

Your original manifold would fit a 12 port..you would have noticed how small the ports in the manifold were..thats how they made it to suit both heads....flow might have been an issue though..thats why I am going to do what you have done.

Have you thought about a straight LPG kit to assist you in emissions testing? That way you get to have bigger carby and no evaporative emissions gear.

#3 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Cheers mate,

I have considered LPG but only for the briefest of moments. While I understand the benefits LPG offers I much prefer to have the tuneability of an efi system.

ADR 27 doesn't include evaporative emissions as such my 74 LH toranas won't need to have the cannister even running petrol.

When I bought my head (2001) yella terra had already stopped making the ally heads. I'd prefer one but too late now (unless someone wants to donate one).

#4 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

WOW nice manifold. Sure looks alot nicer than mine.

Good to see more people going the 202 turbo route instead of doing the usual 308/350 etc.

What kind of HP are you expecting? Engine specs are very similar to mine, and, yes I read the whole thing!

If I had the motivation I'd buy a mid welder and make some manifolds but...couldn't be bothered.

Keep the pictures coming!

Super jealous of the manifold :(

#5 _186 torana_

_186 torana_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

looks likes its going to be a great engine. good see someones going 202 for a change.
keep the pics coming and i read the whole lot to. great work. :clap:

#6 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

Thanks guys,

Power wise I'm not going to stop leaning on the motor until I have done 10.999 at the drags. I guess that'll mean 400+ rwhp and 20ish psi boost.

A pic of the oiling system.
Posted Image

A pic of the wiring... A lot has already been removed by this stage.
Posted Image

cheers

#7 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

Pretty serious looking oil system there. Will it be street driven? What box you going to run?

#8 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:37 AM

sweet looking ride!
should be an absolute weapon when its finished. I hope you break the 10 sec pass!!

Good to see you are doing things by the book too. There arnt to many that would search for a pre 76 202 to meet emision standards. including myself.

Good to see it out cruising.

Evan.

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

Nice, love the oil system! What gearbox?

Very cool, bloody quick street car for a Holden 6. What kind of boost will it see?

#10 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

LOVE YOUR LOCAL LASER-CUTTER...

The amount of cocking around they can save you if you use them properly is amazing...

These are part of my new engine mounts and an alternator slide bracket (little hard to picture but I'm going for the Nolathane bush style of mount).

Posted Image

The computer that I purchased only has a +20psi MAP sensor built into it so that will limit me to 20psi (to start with anyway).

I haven't decided between a traumatic and a powerglide... I did recently see a T5 dog-box for sale which got the brain ticking over a little. Too much work to get it in the car though and I still need to get the car licensed.

The car certainly will be street driven... Weekend warrior style.

#11 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

So you need the different engine mounts to accomodate for the motor's other 'features'? Or are merely opting for a heavier-duty bit of gear.

T5 dog box would be amazing, but I get the impression that making this thing an all-rounder isn't really going to be high on the agenda... But essentially there is no reason that it would be hard to register with a T5. Holden L6-Supra/Celica bellhousing with some mods will make a T5 (a falcon one) mate to your motor. The internals shouldn't make a difference

#12 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

The engine mounts have been changed to give me enough clearance to fit the turbo its still tight though. Currently I have only done the passenger side mount.

After I have run a 10.999 I may look into setting the car up for doing motorkhana style events. I don't think the car would be hard to register with a T5 but it may be hard to register with a dog-box.

#13 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Very impressive stuff. I also read your whole post. I like the dust collector club mention. You did mention also "those who can do, and those who can�t talk about it".

Their will always be gunna's around, but from what I have seen and read on this forum, they don't last too long on here. That said I have found also great motivation from talking alot about my project and I thank the forum for helping get my car on the road.

Back to your car..

I have noticed that the exhaust manifold (very nicely done by the way) has an extra lug on the top of the very front flange and the rear.

What is that for?

I can understand where your are going with the engine mounts and that will look sweet once it's all done.

Keep the pictures coming champ.

#14 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

Hey 2X044.
Very nice work on the exhaust manifold, it looks like a nice bit of gear.
I have a question regarding the emissions, if you dont mind. I am very keen on building a 202 with Jzed head and triple 45dcoe webers and it must be legal since I plan to drive it on the street (I know this is expensive and the money could be better spent on another engine, I dont need to be told again thanks). Will I still have to pass emissions testing if I use a pre July 76 block, or does the emissions test only apply to blocks produced after this date? This is the part I'm unsure of, the legal side of things. Or I could do as you said earlier, just paint them red, haha.
Anyway I'm very keen to see how your build goes so keep up the good work! And yes the laser cutters are great, my dad had a heap of parts cut for his spray tractor. Neat, tidy, didn't even need to grind the edges down, worth the time and money I'd say. Thanks mate.

Regards,

Carmelo

#15 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

Thanks studricho,

The two lugs which you talk about were an idea the guy that built my manifold had. We can very easily use those lugs to lift the motor in and out of the car rather than trying to hook chains or straps on to the motor.

The engine mounts are coming along (it's still going to be very tight so I may need another design iteration before they will fit properly). As soon as the engine mounts are together I will be dropping the motor in for the first time and seeing how everything else fits. Can't wait.

mello92,

Thanks for your comments. As far as emmissions compliance is concerned it depends upon the year of the car and the year of the motor. If you put a 2009 motor into a 1900 car you will need to comply with 2009 emmissions. If you put a 1900 motor in to a 2009 car you will need to comply with 2009 emmissions. By going pre-July 1976 for both the car and the engine the emmissions requirements are significantly more relaxed BUT STILL PRESENT. ADR 27 was introduced in 1972 if I remember correctly, if you look at this website http://www.infrastru...sign/pdf/27.pdf it will describe what is required for ADR27. Most states will except an IM240 emmissions test as proof of compliance with the ADR. The other requirement will be that you have a functioning PCV which may be a challenge with webbers. I would suggest perhaps reposting your questions in the engine section and letting people like Dr Terry have a chance to answer.

Cheers

#16 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the quick reply mate.
Thanks also for that link, but it is really a lot of mumbo jumbo to me, I will have to get someone to make sense of it. If it's too hard to make it road legal I'll still build it but not register it, though I would still like to register it.
I might put a post in the engine section soon, Im at school now - probably should get back to Chemistry....
Cheers for the info mate, and keep up the good work.

Regards,

Carmelo

#17 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

mello92,

If I read your footer correctly you have a LX torana. By the letter of the law you will need to prove compliance with ADR 27A, this will mean a consulting engineer will need to be "consulted" and a suitable emmissions test completed. It's the engineers job to understand that mumbo jumbo.

Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news.

Cheers,

#18 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

Nah thats allright mate.
I found out after I bought the Torrie that ADR27A applies from July 76. I wish I found this out earlier so I could look for a pre July 76 LX, the LX's are the ones I like the most (probably should have done my research instead of jumping to the first decent one that came along :Headbang2: ). But seeing as most LX's were made after this date, the chance of finding one is fairly low. If funds permit, maybe I'll keep the current LX and buy a pre July 76 LX and use that to do all the plans. I'll get in contact with an engineer soon as I find one around here, any suggestions?
Anyway enough about my stuffups, this is your thread!
Cheers mate.

Regards,

Carmelo

#19 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

It's coil time...

Latest acquisition. Just need to work out where I'm going to mount them now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

It's coil time...

Latest acquisition. Just need to work out where I'm going to mount them now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love it.
please explain...

#21 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Awesome!

Love the individual coil packs.

I really wanted to do this but the funds didn't permit at the time.

#22 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

The computer that I am using can support one coil per cylinder rather than using a distributor and a single coil.

You get much greater spark energy to the sparkplug as the coil has a much greater charge time.

I've heard of people replacing capacitive discharge systems with this style setup on boosted methanol motors (this may be complete rubbish as most "grapevine stories" tend to be).

#23 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

You look like you have enough mounting holes in the head on the spark plug side. Just make a plate that bolt along the head with cut outs to get plugs out. That way you will only need very short plug leads.

The other option would be 3 individual brackets that hold the pairing coils in between the 2 plugs.

I sure after seeing your work that this coil mounting is not even an issue for a mind like yours.

#24 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

Man o Man that engine is looking sexy! Especially the manifold! WOW!

Glad to see someone else building a Turbo Holden 6, i've got a LH in the shed with a Strata kit, T04, 42mm wastgate, Gas Research carby & custom adapter i helped design & had cnc machined up. I've been rather busy with other projects & the torry hasn't seen much love, aside preparing a few small bits for it, like the engine mounts, getting parts like the turbo reco'd & tracking down a few little things i need to replace on mine like a bumper support, a switch here, a door hinge repair kit there... It's amazing how much time you can spend on the car & you can't look at it and see the results of the time just yet. Body is rust free & almost patched, just one wheel arch to go.

I also love the coil pack idea, that's wicked. Keep up the good work on your torry, it's inspiring.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#25 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

Cool thread :clap:

Having those lift points on the exhaust manifold is a great idea, and from memory will be about the centre of balance by the time you have all the turbo crap mounted up.

Just wondered what your plans are to allow for crank case breathing ?,when i went from rope to neoprene rear main, i found i had problems with leaks for a while till i sorted out a decent breathing system ( i was running a bit more boost tho )

Gotta love the Laser cut stuff !, my mate has a sign company and owns a Laser cutter, only problem is getting him to sit down and program all the cut files for everthing i "need" :cry:

MT

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users