LH Torana

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

Thanks people,

It looks like I will be mounting the coils on a plate that will sit off the lifter covers on the side of the motor. I was looking at mounting them along the chassis rail as it is cooler and will suffer from less vibration but there just doesn't seem to be enough room to do it nicely.

For legality reasons I will need to run a PCV for the rego inspection and have a fully recirculating system. After the rego inspection I will probably run both rocker cover breathers to an atmospheric breathing catch can (naughty I know and I also know about the smell).

I've just had the exhaust manifold sandblasted to remove all the discolouration caused by welding, I am now contemplating polishing it however I expect it will turn a straw colour once its got hot in use.

I am currently working on a sheet metal dashboard for the car to mount all my gauges. Photos will come when I have something solid in my hands rather than squiggles on a screen.

I finally grew big enough balls to rid myself of the factory wiring. Now to purchase a wiring harness. Any help on this one would be appreciated (painless/rebel/mcdonald bros?).

Cheers,

#27 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

Nice build, very cool holden 6 :spoton:

#28 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

The best way to keep the exhaust manifold looking any good is to get a high heat ceramic coating. You can get the chrome kinda look. It should just dull off a bit and stay looking reasonably polished

#29 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

Bumma

Posted Image

Choices now are to move the motor up or modify the exhaust manifold.

1 step forward two back

#30 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

Long time no update...

Got the dashboard cut and fitted the few gauges that I have already acquired. Couple of bends and a couple of welds required before if can be fit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

Man that dash looks neat! Gonna look pretty good IMO.

What did you end up doing with those mounts?

Cheers

#32 _uppo44_

_uppo44_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

just found this thead
Like the work on the external oil pick up and the whole oiling system.
keep up the good work and keep the updates coming as time permits

#33 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

Man that dash looks neat! Gonna look pretty good IMO.

What did you end up doing with those mounts?

Cheers

I am in the process of modifying the manifold to give me a little more room. If I moved the motor upwards I would have run into bonnet clearance issues as it is already tight. Gearbox and diff angles would also be a bit different. I'll post a pic of the manifold when it is done.

#34 _Phantom10_

_Phantom10_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

i want one.. actually i lied id be happy with a 308 lol, but that is awsome.. nice job hope all goes well and you crack the 10s :)

#35 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:27 PM

Time for an update.

After much contemplation of my fitting drama, I chose to modify the exhaust manifold by lopping the turbo flange off and rewelding one on at a different angle. Finally got the flange tacked in place and the engine mounts welded up so it was time for the ultimate clearance test, into the car.

Posted Image

Everything fitted. Woohoo. A few things are about 10-15mm away from hitting other things but with the relatively rigid engine mounts I'm using it shouldn't be a problem. Woohoo.

This is the closest to hitting.

Posted Image

I always said of the engine and car that never the twain shall meet.

The twain met...

#36 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

Man lookin good !

As far as hitting and clearance goes thats heaps of room, the turbo will lift up/away from the suspension on hard acceleration as well :spoton:

you should have a look under the bonnet on some late model cars.....

The most dodge one that comes to mind is with a BA Falcon, its factory that the o2 sensor wire rubs on the steering shaft :blink:

MT

Edited by mumstaxi, 16 June 2009 - 06:25 PM.

#37 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:34 PM

thats mad!

nice work mate, 'specially the coil packs

:spoton:

#38 _Torrie_Man_

_Torrie_Man_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

Wholy crap that motor is sexy! Will you be running a turbo blanket? it looks mighty close to those upper control arm bushes and mounting bushes. Looking forward to see it running!

#39 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

Thanks people for your comments.

I won't be running a turbo blanket. I know they work well at keeping the heat in but I also have some second hand experience with them destroying the turbine housing casting from overheating. I will most likely have it shiny ceramic coated in an attempt to reduce heat radiation to the intake manifold.

Pulled the motor out on Sunday and bolted up a traumatic and my shiny new 1.9HP gear reduction starter motor, then cursed at it for half an hour or so trying to get it all back in (the wings on the sump didn't want to go over the crossmember with a g/b attached)...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I just have to work out if I can fit a 3.5 inch (turbo) and 2 inch (wastegate) exhaust pipe out and around the starter motor?

I also bought a 20 circuit rebel wiring kit for my car so the rewiring will begin shortly...

#40 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

I wish i only had to curse for half an hour to get my motor & box in, i have to do this every time. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Posted Image
Done it so many times it only takes bout 3.5hrs by myself. :clap:
You'll certainly be needing some heat shields to stop the front end bushes melting. Bloody nice though, i'm keen to see how it goes. Good luck

Pulled the motor out on Sunday and bolted up a traumatic and my shiny new 1.9HP gear reduction starter motor, then cursed at it for half an hour or so trying to get it all back in (the wings on the sump didn't want to go over the crossmember with a g/b attached)...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I just have to work out if I can fit a 3.5 inch (turbo) and 2 inch (wastegate) exhaust pipe out and around the starter motor?

I also bought a 20 circuit rebel wiring kit for my car so the rewiring will begin shortly...

[/quote]

#41 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

Jeez time flies...

Had a serious lack of inspiration lately (last 6 months) until recently. For the last few days I have been polishing the hell out of my intake manifold which has to be one of the hardest things around to polish as there is so many little nooks to try to get at... Photos to come.

I have also just purchased one of these:

Posted Image

From Plazmaman

It's a water to air intercooler. Hopefully on the strip I may be able to employ the help of some ice to help keep thing nice and cool. On the road it should be able to keep things under control for the odd squirt up to the speed-limit.

I have been getting tied down with having so many different things to do that I wasn't getting anywhere, so I have decided to concentrate on the air system of the motor, once that is done I will move on to the fuel system or the electronics.

Cheers

#42 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

plazmaman do some good gear! I met one of the owners at Eastern Creek a while back, turns out he grew up with a good friend of mine.

This should be a ripper when you get it finished.

#43 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

lol how big is it? Kinda hard to tell in the photo :P Like 10" long or something?

#44 _GTRToranaRacing_

_GTRToranaRacing_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:47 AM

that's mad, :burnout:
keep up the good work : )
Good luck with the porgect i hope it all goes well,
Regards Jesse

#45 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

Cheers gents

It was a flip of a coin between plazmaman and pwr and i don't really know why I chose the Plazmaman product but I'm glad that I did. Being rectangular makes it a lot nicer to make brackets for etc.

The unit I have purchased is their 900hp unit which is 120 x 160 x 470mm with 3" air inlet and outlets. I was going to buy the 1000hp unit because its a nice round number, it uses the same core but with 3.5" inlet and outlet. As I'm only running 3" intercooler piping not much point in running the larger cooler. Before anyone says anything. No I'm not trying for 900hp with this motor. The next size down is 550hp and I hope to give that a shake...

#46 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

Below are pictures of the intake manifold.

I have only done a coarse sand of the manifold but am astonished at how rough the casting was. I have also found a couple of pores that look more like holes. I may need to get them welded up before I get too carried away polishing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the pores

Posted Image

Who would have thought old school desks would come in handy?

I've been using the Josco red nylon brushes in an electric drill and just hand sanding. Does anyone know a way to get into the tight corners?

Cheers

Edited by 2X044, 16 March 2010 - 09:15 PM.

#47 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

Ahh polishing, I know how you feel. :P

This is just a random idea, just putting it out there...but why not fill the tight corners and hard to get to areas with weld, then smooth them out.

Would leave it looking smoother, and if welded correctly, shouldnt harm the manifold in any way.

Be easier for you to polish too. :)

Yes, no?

#48 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:24 AM

Look for Dremel size attachments at a tool store. You'll find 'rubber' polishing wheels of various grades, great for finishing in tight areas which are wet-rub finished.

#49 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

Thanks Gunmetal. It took me a surprisingly long time to find the rubber bits you mentioned but I have now found and ordered a range of different bits and was surprised at how cheap they were ($3ea for some bits)

If anyone's interested Cratex from Gemcuts. They're manufactured by Cratex and sold in Aust by Gemcuts.com.au.

The manifold is coming up well but the tight corners are continuing to annoy me. Hopefully the rubber abrasives will help with that.

#50 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

Time for an update after 18 months perhaps?

In that 18 months I have done some work on the Torana and also moved overseas and moved back again... Time to start working on it again now though.

I got the intercooler and coil packs fitted to the motor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got everything to fit under the bonnet.

Posted Image

Got the exhaust finished.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got the fuel system plumbed up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even if I'm not completely happy with the look of the gear in the boot.

Next up is get the driveline sorted, finish the plumbing for the water to air intercooler, finish mark 4 of the dashboard and start stripping the car back to get the body work done.

Cheers,

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users