greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

hmm, curious, what size bore was your brake master cylinder, when it was operating both front and rear brakes?

#402 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

hmm, curious, what size bore was your brake master cylinder, when it was operating both front and rear brakes?

They were both 3/4" (yes, I have two master cylinders one for each end of the car !).

#403 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

ah Okay thank's  :spoton:

#404 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Had an opportunity today to get this thing all back together.

These steering unis are cool, they fit quite tightly on the shafts and the cotter pin has a slightly steeper taper so they lock down hard.

Absolutely no play and very smooth (no notchyness at all), I can't fault them.

Haven't driven the car yet but first impressions are all good !

#405 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hmmmm. which USA shop did you get them from AJ?

#406 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hi Emu, I got them directly from Borgesen.

They don't have that part number on their website, you will have to email them.

http://www.borgeson....tus&mode=update

#407 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

The reason I chopped the top off of the invoice was it had all my credit card details, address etc on it.

It was not an intentional ply to keep the source secret !

#408 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Thanks AJ - awesome info.

#409 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thanx for the feed back on the steering uni, may have to invest in some soon.

Cheers.

#410 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hey Andrew

I have just been on Ebay and have seen you are selling the beast hope all is good in your world ,man you are giving the tyre kickers plenty of options on what setup to buy .

I see you are still hoping to make it to the drags on Wednesday night I hope to be there as long as my wife is ok I will be there with bells on your car is an absolute weapon I would love to see you steer it before you sell it.

Garth

#411 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Don't panic Garth, I'll be there !

All is good, wife is keen to see me thin my herd a bit so I did the right thing and put it up on eBay to gauge interest. I doubt anyone will put their hand up, if they do then I'd be happy with that figure but if not it will stay here. Rest assured I won't be giving it away !

I really should be selling my VH S/LE but I honestly can't bring myself to it. Not sure why but it is her favourite too.

Really, its a space thing rather than a dollar thing, guess I'll just have to extend the garage !

#412 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Good luck with the sale would be a good buy for someone wanting to jump straight into the action with a well sorted car

#413 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Well if you have been reading Mitch's 1st May WSID thread you would know I took the car back to the track this week.

Obviously with this new blown combo the engine is making a heap of torque just off idle and I was concerned the car was a little under-tyred for it. I picked a Street Meet that immediately followed a Test'n'Tune, hoping the track was well prepared. Unfortunately there were a few small showers late in the afternoon and the track was a little off. 

My first pass spun a little before hooking up and heading straight down the track. I clocked a 9.72 at 137MPH. Pretty happy with that !

The next 2 passes were quite slippery but I stayed into it despite being a few tenths off in the 60'. This resulted in a 10.1 and a 10.5, both at just over 140 MPH. I ran another 2 passes but just went up in smoke on the start line and aborted the pass, idling off.

According to ANDRA standards, once you run 140MPH you have to fit a parachute. I'm not really interested in this so should be looking at slowing down.

I did have a few other issues.... I run a vacuum referenced fuel regulator when running with Methanol. What this does is reduce the fuel pressure at idle while vacuum is high, then allows it to pick up when vacuum is low, such as it is at WOT. Naturally aspirated with Methanol I try to run about 4psi at idle and it ends up at about 9psi at full throttle. It works perfectly with every other naturally aspirated combo I have used it on. Unfortunately I didn't take into account the ridiculous vacuum this supercharged engine pulls at idle. In order to compensate I wound a heap of pressure into it to get the idle pressure to about 3psi. This then made the WOT pressure about 15psi, enough to flood the engine and cause it to run seriously rich ! From about half track the poor thing was blubbering away like a career alcoholic. Luckily being way rich on Methanol does not really affect it too much, it probably slowed me down a little but not too much. I didn't figure all this out until I got back home, had a think about it and disconnected the vac line. It had 11 psi fuel pressure at idle ! Now I have sorted that out I need to address the next problem.....

The bonnet I straightened and painted to suit the blower was a little rusty underneath, I ended up cutting the entire frame out of it except for the section the hinges bolt to. This, combined with the huge hole in the middle, made it a little flimsy. It is held down at the front with a pair of bonnet pins which, to date, have been sufficient. I soon found out that at about 100MPH enough air gets under the bonnet at the front to lift it right up. The centre/front of the bonnet was lifting about 8 or more inches in the top end, enough to tear the leading edge and pull the bonnet pins in. After 2 tries I ended up taping the bonnet shut which proved effective, if a little ugly ! I guess I need to add at least another bonnet pin in the centre to hold it all together.

This meeting also spelt the end of my MT ET Street Radials, I have been running the same tyres on my last 3 cars so it was about time they wore out !

Once this is all sorted I hope to make it back to WSID for the APSA meeting on the 19th May. All things being equal I should pick up a little and get evicted for going too fast ! Might then be time to hand the blower back and refit the 400, time will tell !

Here are a couple of pics Mitch took and posted on his thread, hope he doesn't mind me pinching them......

DSC06041_zps95fdf6f4.jpg

DSC06086_zps2de6d120.jpg

DSC06142_zps8a6e771e.jpg

Oh, almost forgot, I got presented with a little trophy at the end of the night..."Best On Night". Apparently this is for the announcers choice of best presented and performing car of the evening. Little things like this make it all seem worthwhile sometimes !

Edited by Struggler, 04 May 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#414 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Well done mate. Great time, and well deserved trophy too. Love the first photo above, very tough.

#415 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks Brett, appreciate it.

The car looks a different colour in every pic, its a really hard colour to capture. I honestly think it looks a lot better in the flesh than in a pic but Mitch's are closer to the real colour than most of mine !

#416 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Thanks Brett, appreciate it.

The car looks a different colour in every pic, its a really hard colour to capture. I honestly think it looks a lot better in the flesh than in a pic but Mitch's are closer to the real colour than most of mine !

I will vouch for the fact that your car looks better in person I was taken back by how good it looks up close especially from the rear lol .

Awesome car mate I am stoked I got to see it run 9.72 it really was one of the highlights of my trip to Sydney

#417 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

Gday struggler,

car looks that goods, i havnt seen it since it turned green. 

Im living in cooma these days, should make the effort to catch up some time.

cheers

James

#418 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

I will vouch for the fact that your car looks better in person I was taken back by how good it looks up close especially from the rear lol .

Awesome car mate I am stoked I got to see it run 9.72 it really was one of the highlights of my trip to Sydney

Thanks Garth, its always good when you exceed expectations ! Glad to hear you enjoyed the night at the track. Guess you would be home by now, hope everything went well and the wife makes a full recovery.

Gday struggler,

car looks that goods, i havnt seen it since it turned green. 

Im living in cooma these days, should make the effort to catch up some time.

cheers

James

Hi James, how did you end up down there ? Still serving the country ?

#419 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Paid up for the entry to this weekend's APSA meeting at WSID.

Have replaced the 275 Drag Radials with 28x10.5 ET Drag slicks so should hook up.

Hoping for a fun day of wheels up action !

#420 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

It was a great day at the APSA meeting, bright sunshine, a good track and heaps of fast, well presented cars.

I had 3 Qualifying passes. 1st one went well with the slicks just touching on the passengers side and peeling the guard up a little. This then tore a fairly deep groove into the slicks tread surface. Ended up running 9.543 @ 141.49MPH. Was still horribly rich in the top end. Got back to the pits and found some tin snips and a metal rod. Levered the guard lip back to where it should be and trimmed it back a little. Also dropped the secondary jets back 0.008" and went back out for another pass. This time it ran 9.510 @ 142.58 ! Still rich but an improvement. Slick was no longer rubbing so I motored straight back out for the last qualifier. Was sitting it the staging lanes thinking that I should really have checked the fuel level in the tank (I only put 30L in to start the day off). Got into the water box and stalled..... it ran out of fuel !!! Got towed away red-faced, put some more fuel in the tank and away I went.

Racing saw my first opponent red light and I ran a 9.600 @ 142.76, still blubbering rich !!!

Next round I was wasn't so lucky.... I was OK off the lights but was still a little slow, 9.66 @ 140.07 so put it on the trailer.

Still having fuel pressure issues so I will now swap the mechanical pump for an electric one. I have persevered with this pump long enough ! I also noticed fuel dribbling out of the secondary throttle shaft of the rear carb so it must be intermittently flooding and contributing to the rich condition. The carbs are also a bit rich at idle so will pull them apart and have a good look while I swap the pumps around. 

Really happy with the performance. A few people asked about the combo and the looks on some faces when I told them it had stock rods and cast crank was priceless ! I'm sure some thought I was BS'ing them.

Also had a chat with the guys from Torana Talk, they seemed pretty easy going and keen for a laugh !

Anyway here are a couple of videos of the 2 qualifiers a friend took. Not the best quality but enough to give you an idea.....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fNAFR9rtkDY

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dQX-BpCAAlU

#421 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

G'day Andrew
Duggo(Torana Talk)told me all about your car and was very impressed with it. And loved the LH rear end.

Going to go to the meet in November for a look.

cheers

Edited by sunburst73-xu1, 19 May 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#422 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

mmm time for chute young man !!

Good job mate :)

#423 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

sounds like you confused the commentator aswell in the video he calls it a LX torana

#424 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

How much fun can you have with your pants on????

Great work Andy looks like it was hooking up alright

#425 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

Pissed off with a 9.6 second pass?

I'd love to have your problem.

2 user(s) are reading this topic