Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

As promised here are a couple of pics of the car after being blasted with garnet in the engine bay, windscreen recesses and door jambs and plastic bead blasted on the roof and quarters.....

Attached File  blast1.JPG   83.58K   1 downloads

Attached File  blast2.JPG   90.86K   4 downloads

I did very little panel work before getting it blasted and I am glad I didn't. It seems the stress relieving qualities of the bead blast is very good at shrinking metal slightly. This was very handy as a few dents in the roof have been substantially reduced and a couple of shrinks I was planning on doing are no longer required !! Overall the car is in great shape. No previous repairs at all, a few pin holes of rust in the screen recesses and one hole about the size of a match head under the drivers rear scuff plate. Take that UC haters !!!

Anyway I carted it off to a friends panel and paint business and spent a full day cleaning it out, repairing a few minor blemishes and fully removing all traces of paint, seam sealer and primer from the outside of the car with a wire brush in the end of a drill. I then rolled it into the booth and watched while it got a good coat of 2K etch and a few coats of 2K High Fill. An hour later I loaded it back up and took it home. I now have to grind some of the primer out and perform a few repairs before taking it back for some more High Fill. Here are a few more pics of it once I got it back home.....

Attached File  primer.JPG   108.84K   2 downloads

Attached File  primer2.JPG   76.62K   2 downloads

Attached File  primer3.JPG   60.81K   3 downloads

It looks pretty good in the pics with the matt yellow primer but it still needs a bit of bog wiped over it. There is no shortage of minor dings to attend to and the engine bay needs some filler too. No point dribbling about it, I better hook in !!

#177 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:12 AM

Awesome work will be nice to see it painted up and back together

Barbados green gets my vote aswell :)

#178 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:34 AM

I remember being awe struck by your blue UC with the BBC, can't wait to see how this one turns out. Good work Andrew.

#179 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Looking good Andrew, any idea on the new engine yet. A 350 or another 400 block?

A light candy gold or deep metallic blue would be nice. Black running around the silks and the lights would suit a ic too.

#180 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words Goat, LH SLR 3300 and TempesT.

Well it has been a few weeks now and I have been flat out !!

I got busy with the filler and body file and went to town. There were quite a few repairs that had to be done and a few others I never noticed until I started blocking it back. I also took a bit of time to smooth the engine bay out a little without going overboard. I rubbed the whole car with 240 dry before getting the painter to apply another full 3 coats of the HiFill. I then rubbed this back with 320 wet and then 600 wet.

The shell is now at a point were it is almost ready for paint. I still need to fill a few pin holes, blow some primer over the rub-throughs and seal some seams. I hope to get it all the same colour some time next week if I can get it all organized. I might have a bit of a break then and get my VH SL/E regoed and catch my breath. Then it will be up on stands, front and rear ends out and a quick paint of the underside before refitting the diff and crossmember.

Yes I know, you all want to know what colour it will end up. Well I'm still not sure !! I have narrowed it down to something solid, clean and bright !

As for the engine, I have been hoarding SB Chev blocks for the last few months (no 400's) and will run you through the build once the car is back on the ground and I have refitted the wiring etc. It will be something low budget but still a bit of fun !

#181 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

Spent a few hours today filling pin holes and checking the primer over to make sure I did a reasonable job. Then gave the whole thing a hand wash with ultra fine scotch brite before a good rinse with the Karcher. Then masked up some of the smaller things to make it a bit easier on the day. I will spray the primer over the rub-throughs and seal seams etc in the booth (it has been a wet day here ).

Just waiting now on my and the painters schedules to line up !

Here is a quick pic of it ready to go....

Attached File  paintready.JPG   113.51K   2 downloads

Edited by Struggler, 31 October 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#182 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

Well everything lined up sooner than I thought and I got into the booth this morning. Just got home now and pushed it back inside. It has been a hectic 30 days from sandblasted to painted and I'm ready for a couple of days off ! The colour doesn't quite look right in the pics, the engine bay one is closest to reality. Had quite a few cars honk and give the thumbs up on the way home so it can't look too bad.

Let me know what you think.......

Attached File  P1020210.JPG   107.68K   15 downloads

Attached File  P1020212.JPG   74.01K   2 downloads

Attached File  P1020214.JPG   87.75K   2 downloads

Attached File  P1020217.JPG   122.68K   2 downloads

#183 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Looking sh$$ hot Andrew, no wonder you got the thumbs up on the way home :)

Good to see Scotty at work with the gun ;) I am not quite ready to see him yet and hope and pray he is not too busy when the time comes, damn Summernats is looming fast, maybe too fast for me ;(

Cheers
Herne

#184 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

Looks good Struggler, is that panama or barbados green? cant quite tell from the pics but looks a little dark for barbados?. That first pic kinda made me wonder what the painter was thinking spraying in a booth without some sort of mask on though..:dontknow:

Edited by AD_75, 01 November 2010 - 04:37 PM.

#185 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

Looks awesome mate can't wait to see it all back together

#186 _sshatch355_

_sshatch355_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

top effort looks awesome!

#187 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

HELL YEAH! This thing looks MINT now, I want one :)

#188 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

Looks awesome mate can't wait to see it all back together

top effort looks awesome!

Thanks guys. :spoton:

Looking sh$$ hot Andrew, no wonder you got the thumbs up on the way home :)

Good to see Scotty at work with the gun ;) I am not quite ready to see him yet and hope and pray he is not too busy when the time comes, damn Summernats is looming fast, maybe too fast for me ;(

Cheers
Herne

Hi Alan, time does get away easily. A lot of work goes into the engine bay. Good luck with yours, I'll be watching !

Looks good Struggler, is that panama or barbados green? cant quite tell from the pics but looks a little dark for barbados?. That first pic kinda made me wonder what the painter was thinking spraying in a booth without some sort of mask on though..:dontknow:

It is neither Barbados or Panama. The painter did a car in Barbados a few weeks ago and it was too light and bright for me. I searched through a pile of colour chips and found one that is really close to Chrysler Sublime. It is just green and yellow tinters so is very clean and bright. I was a bit scared at first but it has really grown on me. It is very hard to capture on digital as well and looks very different under lights as opposed to sunlight.

I have known the painter for about 15 years and he hasn't changed a bit !!! Still ignoring the OH&S. You can't see his offsider in that pic (he is painting the sill on the other side) but he had all the gear so will probably live a bit longer !!

I am going to trundle along with the shell refit now for a while before getting back into the panel work on the boot lid, bonnet, guards and doors which are all still brown and littering my backyard.

#189 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

HELL YEAH! This thing looks MINT now, I want one :)

MINT, is that a play on words :blink2:

Thanks Brett, it came up better than I thought it would.

#190 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:02 PM

I forgot, I must give a big thanks to Scott and Andy at Duffy Automotive, not only for the paint work but for putting up with me harrassing them, pointing me in the right direction with regard to the repairs and pushing me to do the full job (bare metal respray) rather than just a quick blow-over.

Thanks again guys :rockon:

#191 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

It is neither Barbados or Panama. The painter did a car in Barbados a few weeks ago and it was too light and bright for me. I searched through a pile of colour chips and found one that is really close to Chrysler Sublime. It is just green and yellow tinters so is very clean and bright. I was a bit scared at first but it has really grown on me. It is very hard to capture on digital as well and looks very different under lights as opposed to sunlight.

I have known the painter for about 15 years and he hasn't changed a bit !!! Still ignoring the OH&S. You can't see his offsider in that pic (he is painting the sill on the other side) but he had all the gear so will probably live a bit longer !!

I am going to trundle along with the shell refit now for a while before getting back into the panel work on the boot lid, bonnet, guards and doors which are all still brown and littering my backyard.

Ahh! yeah nice, greens always seem hard to distinguish on camera for some reason, your painter friend must have an iron set of lungs! i once tried being in the booth while a mate was painting his car without a mask and i felt like i wanted to curl up and die later haha!

Cheers,
-AD

#192 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

It has been a while since my last update but the weather has kept me away from the garage for a while and I also got a dose of food poisoning that knocked me around for a week or two.

Anyway I repainted inside the car in red oxide to keep the rust at bay and gave the boot a quick birthday with some black paint and marine carpet. I then dropped the diff out and all the rear suspension to paint the underside in black over Wurth body deadener as well. The diff also copped a quick respray before cleaning it all up and refitting it. I also fitted a new rear sway bar I had custom made for the car. It is a mere 30mm thick and should keep the car level on the drag strip and avoid all body roll on the burnout pad.

Attached File  P1020219.JPG   80.6K   1 downloads

Attached File  P1020224.JPG   98.56K   3 downloads

I then turned my attention to the front and dropped out the crossmember and stripped it down. I tidied up the engine mounts and ran the sander over the whole thing before sending it and the control arms off for gloss black powdercoat. As I had to destroy the outrigger bushes I decided to replace them and the upper body mount bushes with some aluminium I tuned up on my old lathe. I also rubbed back the green below the chassis rails and sprayed it with some Wurth body deadener and black paint. While I was at it I also did the outside of the inner guards.

Attached File  P1020223.JPG   91.74K   3 downloads

Attached File  P1020225.JPG   90.08K   2 downloads

The crossmember came back from the powdercoaters looking great so I bashed some new bushes and ball joints into it and reassembled it on the floor before bolting it back under the car.

Attached File  P1020222.JPG   100.48K   2 downloads

Attached File  P1020229.JPG   52.36K   2 downloads

Thats about where I am at at the moment, I still need to tidy up the steering rack, discs and calipers before reassembling them and also finish off the paint under the car before putting it back on all 4 rims. I will have a bit of a break for Xmas before getting back into it in the new year.

Attached File  P1020220.JPG   81.17K   3 downloads

Merry Christmas and have a happy and safe new year everyone !!!

#193 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

Nice bit of kit there Andrew and of course top work.

Merry Xmas to you and your family mate.

Cheers
Alan

#194 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:38 PM

I like the colour keep up the good work and have a great xmas and new year

#195 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:59 AM

Coming along really nice mate :clap:

#196 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Hmm" GREEN" green is nice

#197 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

Nice bit of kit there Andrew and of course top work.

Merry Xmas to you and your family mate.

Cheers
Alan

Thanks Alan and I hope your rebuild went to plan.

I like the colour keep up the good work and have a great xmas and new year

Thanks Goat !

Coming along really nice mate :clap:

Thanks Lee, not quite in the same league as yours but tidy enough for me !

Hmm" GREEN" green is nice

Thanks Nicko, the green is really growing on me now, I'm glad I went with it.

#198 _GMH355_

_GMH355_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

Looking good Andrew, also been watching this thread with interest. Top purpose built project. Got to agree good choice of colour as well :).

Have an enjoyable and safe Christmas.

#199 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:33 AM

looking good mate look forward to seeing it finished in the new year possibly return to the ubc?

#200 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

Gday Andrew, on my way down to coma for Xmas-new year, ill have to pop round for n have a look if your about.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users