Removing Ignition Barrell

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Like the thread title says, how do i remove it and what should i be careful of? any tips or tricks to it?

cheers,

Rowan

#2 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

Remove the steering wheel, remove the indicator switch mechanism, poke a small screw driver or piece of wire into the hole in front of the ignition barrel, there's a spring loaded catch in there holding the barrel in. Move it out of the way and the barrel will pull out.

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

Picture in this thread.

#4 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

Posted Image

#5 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

key needs to be in there one position up from the lock position. i think.

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

It will take some mucking around with; lateral jiggle, push-pull, if my experience was a typical one. It took me a fair bit of f*cking around but once I got it out once, I didn't struggle too much a to do it another five or so times to get my head around what was really goin on down there.

I don't think it actually matters what position it is in, contrary to popular beleif, but I may be wrong.

#7 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

I don't think the key position matters either. Some come out easy and some don't want to come out at all...

#8 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

to get it out,as above.but dont forget to take out the spring steel aswell
getting it out isnt the hard bit.
getting it back in with the cog on the back of barrel in the the right spot,to give u ignition,is the hard bit ive found.

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

If you have your column out, it ain't too bad. If it was in the car, I would still drop it so you have access (with your hand) to the linkage that runs down the side of the column. Once the ignition barrel is removed, the ignition switch is no longer really 'indexed', so it can go out of adjustment by a small fraction, preventing the good line-up between the barrel and the cog kinda unit.

If you remove the ignition switch, the linkage can move too far and the pinion gear will disengage from the (toothed) rack, and they will need to be lined up again, which is a bit of a pain

Geeze this is hard to explain on the net. The genuine LH workshop manual does not explain it very well either. Have a fiddle :)

EDIT: Oooo and if you are replacing it with a crappy aftermarket one (eBay; don't know if Rares make them and/or what they're like), you may need a little bit of impact to assist in the installation.

Edited by Heath, 28 April 2009 - 08:04 AM.

#10 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

I replaced one ages ago with a cheap one and could never get it to lock in properly. Could pull it straight out the column. Dont know whats out there now but get a decent one if replacing IMO.

#11 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

i just read it in the manual. wen i take it out its cos the key wont sit in it at all. but the postioin matters cos it has little tabs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users