_sshatch355_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

lookn great. i guess u got the vn out the way then lol :spoton:

#77 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

yup the VN has gone, i swear i thought i was never gonna see the ass end of that thing Posted Image

#78 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

i havent really done alot the last week with all the house reno's goin on but i did manage to pick up a set of HQ engine mount brakets ( slightley different to the V8 Torana ones i have ) and this little beauty for the LX Posted Image

new chrome sump+plug+dipstick & tube for $120 clams here are some pic's
Posted Image

Posted Image

#79 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

Looks flash LeePosted Image Are you going to paint & detail the rest of the engine to match?

#80 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:55 PM

yeah Matt the whole engine will be all matching, i think a water pump wil be the hardest to get a hold of will have to wait and see Posted Image

#81 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:59 PM

I had a polished timing gear cover & water pump on a 5.0L once. They were expensive to buy & i soon got sick of trying to keep them looking shiny. Kind of like the engine in my SLR.
Posted Image
It's a challenge to keep it looking like this, but i do get immense satisfaction looking at it every time i lift the bonnet Posted Image One thing i nearly did with this engine was ceramic coat the Harrop, but i thought it had enough "bling'. I did get the Pacemakers done though. Have you thought of doing the same with your's?

#82 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

thx for posting that pic Matt now i have just made the computer screen all messy Posted Image yeah mate i will be going down the same road maybe a few things different i dont wanna be a copy cat Posted Image but yeah there will be lots of shinny stuff under the bonnet and plenty off horsies i there too Posted Image

#83 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

After many a discussion with you on the subject of your plans & ideas, plus seeing your Torana in the flesh, i some how think if we were to transplant my SLR engine into your car as is, it would not look the same. For a start, your bay won't have the wiring or brake lines etc visible like mine, not to mention the custom panel work you've done there. It all comes down to personal taste i reckon. I've always done the bays in my LHs to look factory but with a few custom touches. I think your bay will be a stunner once it's finished no matter what you do with the engine.

#84 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

righto its been a while but with the house renos slowly over taking me and the torana sitting in the shed looking sad i thought i better do a bit while i wait for the concrete slab to cure for my entertaining area before i go drilling into it so i started back at the motor and box part for the fit and linement, and well with the T5 being to fat for the tunnel it was time to do some cutting, first i came up with a cut and stretch plan to fit the box it and it would have worked no worries but then i got steered in the direction of Youngy's build thread and walla, it was so much neater and easyer looking so i have now done the copy cat and even stole pic's from his thread lol anyways i got home this arvo had a quick look at the pic's of youngy's again and of to the shed i went and dont some cutting and thinking and this is where im at now should have it finished tomorrow arvo if i get home in time, heres some pics any way ..........

a cut up the middle with and arrow head cut at the top so i could stretch it open
Posted Image

here it is streched open with the piece i was going to weld in, it gave me the room i needed but nah...
Posted Image

so i marked it out with some masking tape
Posted Image

here you can see where i marked it out twice, the blue line was where i had to cut and the top of the bottom masking tape line is where i will do a lip over weld for the new hump, pretty much a double weld, 1 on the inside of the car and 1 under the car and shouldnt loose any strenth ( i hope )
Posted Image

here is the other side marked out aswell
Posted Image

cut the sucker out and this is what i was left with Posted Image
Posted Image

then stole some of my daughters cardboard and started shaping up a templet so that i can take it off lay it flat on a sheet of metal and cut it out and tac it in tomorrow and this it what it should look like ( thx again Youngy )
Posted Image

and another shot of it, once this bit is in the i can close the end up the box in the support that i had to cut 30mm out of,,,,,
Posted Image

hope i get it in tomorrow and will post pic's up Posted Image

#85 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:38 PM

good work, looks like the goods

Amazing how much 'box is now in the car

#86 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:20 AM

yeah mate the T5 is a pretty big box i seen pic's of a 6 spped commodore box in a HQ and the hole they had to cut was massive, glad i changed my mind about putting a LS1 in the LX now

#87 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:54 AM

No worries lee. It looks the goods :). Just make sure there is enough room to attach the speedo cable as mine comes straight out. But if the original electric one fits in the tunnel you shouldn't have any problems with cable speedo attachment.

I will have to come for a drive down to your place one day and have a look.

Thanks

#88 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:38 PM

just a quick update on this arvo's progress Posted Image

first i had to close in the centre support were i had to cut 30mm out to make room for the box and it was a pain in the arse let me tell ya, not much room to move thats for sure
Posted Image

then i got my cardboard templet and tapped it down to some metal ( vn bonnet skin ) and traced around it and then cut it out, sry i forgot to take a pic of it cut out, times money Posted Image
Posted Image

then the fun started lucky the wife was home to give me a hand to help tac it and shape at the same time
Posted Image

by now i was pretty stuffed but it was in and not one swear word belive it or not Posted Image
Posted Image

yep and then i cucked the box back in to make sure all was good and my hole for the shifter was out by about 7mm so nothing to complane about there really
Posted Image

and heres another shot
Posted Image

i will weld it all up tomorrow and cap the shifter end then weld up the under side then it will be ready for some etch and a good coat i high build, i will post some more up tomorrow if i get a chance , but all in all i think it is coming along alright as i have never done a tunnel mod before Posted Image

#89 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

hey folks, well i have been pretty busy doing house renos but im now taking a break from them and have now made a bit of a start on the Torana, i picked up another pretty clean LX 173 6 pot screamer Posted Image and i have almost finished swapping my parts over for the good parts on the new LX, so far i have un picked the radiator support as it only needs a small repair ( lower section ) and i thought it has to be better than the one i put together out of 3 different supports and belive it or not i didnt think it would line up the best ( the one i made ) but stuff me dead it was about 98% spot on i couldnt belive it my self oh well thats done now, i have also swapped over the lower trailing arms as the the ones i had were bend to billy'o, swapped my SL brown woodgrain dash over for the complete black dash, got 2 rubberless bars of it, swapped 3 of the doors as they are pretty clean, took the front & rear sway bars off, but still have to take the chrome rain gutter moulds of it and swap the seat beats over as these one are alot better than the ones i have also, anyways here are some pic's

here are some pic's of the the support that i repaired a while ago now
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

here are a couple of pic's of the other LX i picked up
Posted Image
Posted Image
my SL dash i chucked in the parts car
Posted Image\
here is the support i unpicked yes i looks worse now but its alot better knowing that it dont have a whole section that has been cut out and replaced
Posted Image

and my young bloke working hard handing me tools when i needed them
Posted Image

#90 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

That looks like a clean car there Lee, are you still considering putting your 5.0ltr & T5 in it or are you going to part it out?

#91 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

Great stuff Lee, I always enjoy watching build pics of cars that are being done by their owners who are prepared to have go. Your doing a fantastic job buddy.

Ruts

#92 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hahahaha cute top on the kid Posted Image

Good to see you're going to start on it again now ;)

Edited by torriechick, 12 March 2010 - 08:04 PM.

#93 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

That looks like a clean car there Lee, are you still considering putting your 5.0ltr & T5 in it or are you going to part it out?

Hi Matt, i would like to be able to keep it but dont have anywhere to store it,Posted Image so im now just swapping all my sh*t bits for the good bits on it and then i will flog it off as a whole car and will keep on building the one i have started

Great stuff Lee, I always enjoy watching build pics of cars that are being done by their owners who are prepared to have go. Your doing a fantastic job buddy.

Ruts

thx Ruts, im so close to finishing all the major repairs and mods then it will be making sure everything sits right then it will be stripped right down again and i will start on some slight body repairs and then comes some colour Posted Image

Hahahaha cute top on the kid Posted Image

Good to see you're going to start on it again now Posted Image

TC my project isnt an " IT " my Torana is an LX !!! sry didnt you hear me??? must be a blonde thing !!!!!
MY TORANA IS AN LX!!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#94 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:30 AM

LOL
I am NOT blonde!!! thankyou.
and yes, you're Torana is an LX... funny that. :P Mine's a UC. ;)

#95 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

hey there bludgers Posted Image while you's have ben sitting around looking at your projects i have been busy on mine for the first time in over 6 months Posted Image anyways heres what i have been upto,

remember this mod i was doing ?? well i unpicked it as i was not happy with it and have now finished the tunnel mod now and guess what im happy with the out come Posted Image
new 1st one
Posted Image

and here is the new one, i remarked it out as the other one was a little short in length
Posted Image

tac'ed it in
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

then made a templet to cap the end off
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

cleaned it up with me trusty wire wheel, i swear i would be lost without one of them Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

chucked some Etch on it
Posted Image

then a couple of good wipes of seam sealer and another coat or 2 of Etch
Posted Image
Posted Image

#96 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

and here is the result of what happened when i yelled out to the wife and said im just gonna clean up around the front screen aperture and ill be in Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

the front screen aperture was clean not one repair has to be done, but her the rear one and why people do this kinda sh*t has me nackeredPosted Image , BOG IS FOR DENTS NOT RUST Posted Image anyway here's what i found.......
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
i swear there was a whole T-shirt in there Posted Image
now it was time to Etch the whole car and now that i have decided to go 2k i had to go out and get some 2k etch
Posted Image

1st time using 2k so was a little scared lol but here's the outcome
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and thats it for a couple of days, Posted Image

Edited by nial8r, 16 April 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#97 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

Thats a big bloody tunnnel sheeesh!

Nice work though!

#98 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

yep all that to fit the T-5 in never again but thats for sure Posted Image

#99 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Top work Lee, coming along really well. Got me stuffed why people do stuff like that with the rust, a mate found a coke can in the rear 1/4 of an old falcon ute he was doing. Do it once, do it properly.

Nice work with the tunnel, Im jelous of your little shifter hole though lol, Mine is huge with the 6 speed in there. Looking forward to seeing more progress with this one, going to be a nice car.

#100 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

thx mate with the shifter hole in the 1st tunnel and the size of it thats all that was needed but this time round a havent cut the the shifter hole yet as that was kinda a stuff up with the 1st one too.... with the B&M short throw shifters they sit forward alot more so i will wait till i get that then cut the hole

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users