what to do about my torana

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: what to do with it (39 member(s) have cast votes)

what to do with my torana?

1. modify it beyond original into the blue slr i'vr always wanted (27 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. keep it original and buy another torana to mod (7 votes [17.95%])

Percentage of vote: 17.95%

3. do a small rebuild and c how i feel after it (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

I'm with moot aswell, cut it up and build the torana that you want. I did.
$30 + grand later still going.
$ 10,000 dont get you much anymore.

#27 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

There is some very good advice here. What ever budget you set be prepared to go well over it.
My son and I are currently working on a project car. I did an apprenticeship within the trade and I am passing my skills to my son. This is saving us money without compromising the end workmanship and the overall quality of work. What I mean is, there is no point spending $10K on a great paint job when the quality of the panel repairs you did spoils the paint work. Don�t believe every thing you hear as �that�s easy� because it isn�t.
These cars do cost a lot to rebuild and therefore do it once and do it right.
I admire those that have a �give it ago� attitude, but one needs to know their limitations.
What you do with your car is up to you. What you do with advice is also up to you. Good luck.

#28 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:12 AM

Hay guys whats a budget
70k and still going but its only money

#29 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,190 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

Hay guys whats a budget

It's what you throw out after the first two weeks into the build, or

it's what you have to do with your household spending in order to make the credit card repayments after maxing it out on the car!

#30 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

I started with a half decent shell, little bit of rust, rod through block, 3 on the tree LJ sedan....

Fully panel beaten, painted in 2 pack, rebuild front end, all new rubbers and nolathane bushes, retrimmed interior, new carpet etc etc.

and all for under 10k.

That was with a mild engine and a tidy car.

The bloke is only young, he doesnt need a SMOTY or summernats winning car to start with, whats wrong with spending 10-15 grand, and having a nice, tidy car that most people (ie his friends) wouldnt have.

I was always proud of the fact, no matter how many little things I could pick wrong with my car, I had something that was better then 99% of the general populus and I appreciated it.

#31 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

The bloke is only young, he doesnt need a SMOTY or summernats winning car to start with, whats wrong with spending 10-15 grand, and having a nice, tidy car that most people (ie his friends) wouldnt have.

I was always proud of the fact, no matter how many little things I could pick wrong with my car, I had something that was better then 99% of the general populus and I appreciated it.

I totally agree with Chris!

You don't have to spend big bucks to have a car that 99% of people will think looks fantastic!

My last rebuild probably cost me about 4k... That was mainly spent on Trim, Convo Pro's, Paint and Tyres.

Its probably nowhere near the standard some guys on here expect... but for a young bloke, who was at uni at the time... I'd say it was pretty bloody good!

Sure, once I'm older and have more cash, I'll be more than happy to splurge 20k + on a rebuild.

gen3, IMHO, standard cars are boring! I only look at them and think "wow! i wouldnt mind getting that and turning into something nice! It would make a great base to a project!"

#32 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

Well it's kinda different when you're paying for someone else to build your car!

You don't need a leather interior, 500HP and a sheet metal 9" to impress a crowd of people who like a neatly presented classic that stands out from the shit that you see every day on the road. I don't consider my car a backyard abortion (regardless of what anyone says) and it cost f*ck ALL to build. No, I haven't done everything on the car by any means, and there isn't a single part of it that I am satisfied with. And I've even wasted heaps of money because I didn't know what I did and did not need (my family isn't into cars or anything like that, I kinda took a while to work it all out).

I'm gonna spend a reasonable amount on it probably in the long run, but that doesn't mean that I think it needs cash thrown at it to be a nice car.

For example, I think a 4-door LC/LJ with a ~170HP 186, good ole aussie gearbox with a decent clutch and a Borg Warner rear end with a shiny coat of acrylic is a f*cking sweet car. It goes alright, sounds alright, is practical, looks sweet to most people even if it isn't completely straight, drives beautifully and costs sfa to build. Why discourage people from building shit like that? Would you prefer to share the roads with that? Or clapped out wanked up VN Commodores?

I love showcars too, but I'd rather no showcars and tonnes of car enthusiasts than a small group of elitists who spend >$80k on a rebuild and are too afraid to park infront of the servo or thrash it around Easternats

Edited by Heath, 21 May 2009 - 04:47 PM.

#33 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

show cars start at 100 thousand. mine is just a streeter that'll get the arse flogged out of it.there is no point for me to go overboard for a sunday driver

people have different opinions on whats a tidy car and what isnt. decent paint starts at 10k,decent trim starts at 4 grand, decent engines start at $25000 :)haha

#34 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:40 PM

You can't do it all at once , start with the engine ,and see how it goes from there.

#35 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

I must say $70k is a bit much but I will park were I want do a burn out when I want and lets just say guys that know me know I will

That said its all about leave it or (fix it) do it up mate you can start from fu$k all and do it your self starting with the smallest nut taking ten years do what you want but dont look at what someone else has do it for yourself

GOOD LUCK
help is only a strike of a key away

#36 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

im spending around 35,000 on mine i just want a decent grunty nice looking torana that i can thrash around :)

#37 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:35 PM

35k you will be able to do it for sure mate, just write out a list of what you will do to the car and slowly tick them off, try and do most of it your self and you will have a great car that you can enjoy and be proud of.

oh by the way i am all for budget builds! 10k FTW!!

#38 _Phantom10_

_Phantom10_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

NIKE THAT SH*T!!! :D

aka Just Do IT!! lol

you have a daily driver so why not spend the time and money to make your "second love" :D be what you want it to be?

Good Luck Buddy..

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Phantom10, 22 May 2009 - 07:45 PM.

#39 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

That said its all about leave it or (fix it) do it up mate you can start from fu$k all and do it your self starting with the smallest nut taking ten years do what you want but dont look at what someone else has do it for yourself

Well said

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users