h4 headlights.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

accidently bought h4 lights instead of sealed beam. did a search an found some good info but i need to know a few things. do i need a new plug to go into the back of the light or can i mod the one i have? and what do di do about this relay thing i keep reading about. i am an electrical retard so any help is awesome.

cheers
nic

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

Plug should fit.
You may need to upgrade the wiring tho.
There is some good how to on old holden web site search for H4 conversion.

Do the new lights have the provision for parker lights?

#3 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

accidently bought h4 lights instead of sealed beam. did a search an found some good info but i need to know a few things. do i need a new plug to go into the back of the light or can i mod the one i have? and what do di do about this relay thing i keep reading about. i am an electrical retard so any help is awesome.

cheers
nic

What do you mean H4 instead of sealed beam? Isnt H4 the pattern of the glass and the way it projects the light as opposed to Sealed beam being the the way its manufacture, sealed? Am I missing something here?

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

You may need to upgrade the wiring tho.

Eg. extra relays (triggered from the original) work better for more power and prevent overloading the column switch.

#5 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:53 PM

What do you mean H4 instead of sealed beam? Isnt H4 the pattern of the glass and the way it projects the light as opposed to Sealed beam being the the way its manufacture, sealed? Am I missing something here?

As far as I knew H4 is a type of globe, and the pattern of the lens would be things like spread beam, pencil beam etc.

#6 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

Are you talking about the H4 halogen conversion?

#7 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

i had sealed beam in the car. non replaceable globe but the parker light is attached to the plug on the wiring. the new lights i bought have h4 on them and are removeable globes that say h4 too. i got no idea if they are halogen. im gonna get some pics into this situation cos im buggered if i know.

me+wiring = FAIL so i need lots of help. ill check out old holden too.

cheers

#8 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

Lol its ok mate. Yeah sounds like H4 conversion. The H4 halogen conversion I got has parker provisions on the lower part of the unit but you would have to cut into the body to allow room for them. I.e cut into the battery tray area and I didn't want to do that. So I fitted them into the top of the indicators. So when the parkers are on the indicators are lit up but are quite dull, when the higher wattage indicator bulb comes on it lights it up as usual and there is a noticable difference.

Ryan

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

do i need a new plug to go into the back of the light or can i mod the one i have?

I just trimmed the one that came with the car. I cut off the shroud kinda areas areas and the parker globe section (as my H4 lense had a hole lower down with a seperate globe holder), so all I was left with was a little square thing that plugged on. That part should be self-explanatory but I can get a photo if you want

Edited by Heath, 09 July 2009 - 10:44 AM.

#10 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

Use a relay with them, otherwise you may risk damage to wiring/factory switch.

#11 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to wire them up to a relay?

Why colour wires go where?

#12 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:03 AM

What brand did you buy?

The park light in the Narva H4 headlights can not be used on a LX as the globe fouls on the radiator support panel. You can use the indicator as a park light but you should check if this is legal in your state.

The Hella H4 headlights will fit with a small amount of modification.

Posted Image

This thread has pictures of the modification required.

#13 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

mine are square. im going for photos now.

#14 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

H4 refers to the type of halogen globe, it is a twin filament globe with shield as opposed to say a H1 which are single filament and used for driving lights etc.

The h4 on the actual lamp/reflector just refers to the type of globe that should go in them for them to work properly, I dont think the other type fit anyway.

Check what the wattage is on the globes, if its 60/55(which is the same as the original sealed beams), there is absolutely no need to bother with relays and the connector will just plug straight on as it did for your sealed beams.

If the wattage on the globes is higher, suggest you go and buy the 60/55, its going to be cheaper to buy 2 globes at $7.50 each than a couple of relays and all the mucking about to change the wiring. You'll be getting brighter light anyway.

If you are hell bent on putting relays in, here's how to do it:

Purchase two standard 4 pin relays, one each for high and low beam. There are four terminals, 30,85,86,87.

Cut the brown and green wires that go along the right hand fender to the right head lamp(lets call the point where you cut them point A, at about where the windscreen washer bottle is), connect the dashboard side of these wires to terminal 85 on separate relays.
Connect terminals 86 of both relays to the body of the car.
Connect terminal 87 of each relay back to the cut wire at point A that goes towards the headlight (same color wire as what is connected to terminal 85)
Connect terminals 30 to the battery, with a fuse if you like.

thats it.

The standard wiring can cope with slightly higher currents than stock, what is the advantage here is that a certain amount of wire is bypassed as well as the headlight switch and there will be a slightly higher voltage at the globe.
To do the job really well, all the wires including the connectors should be upgraded in gauge.

Edited by torbirdie, 09 July 2009 - 02:20 PM.

#15 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

ok finally got some pics. i have an idea that might work but i dunno.

this is what it looks like at the back. im thinkin i have to lose the orange rubber bit.
Posted Image

this is the connector i have. the little globe is attached there but the new lights have them inthe light already with a tab plug behind it. do i just replace the existing globe attachment with a plug for the parker bit on the new globe?
Posted Image

this is where the globe sits and at the top there is the little globe inside.
Posted Image

this is the globe, it says 60/55w and both need replacing.
Posted Image

if i can avoid any wire cutting etc i'll be happy.

i think i need to make a plug bit for the parker, mod the old connector bit (black) and lose the rubber orange thing wat do u think?

#16 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:25 PM

My headlights were a pair of cheapies from Burson, with Narva globes. No problem fitting the parker in, just squeezed the wiring around a sharp corner a little :P

#17 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Torana_umunga, Where did you get them? Wreckers?
I'm asking as they're getting hard to find these days.

#18 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

Torana_umunga, Where did you get them? Wreckers?
I'm asking as they're getting hard to find these days.

Yep there are arnt they. They dont make them any more do they?
I have a pair of H4 HELLA rounds(german made) from years back, Still look fantastic.

#19 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

Yep there are arnt they. They dont make them any more do they?
I have a pair of H4 HELLA rounds(german made) from years back, Still look fantastic.

Not the LH rectangular ones. Same as early Mazda and Chrysler from what I can gather.
7" round ones are still available (LX/4cyl LH/L34) You can even get crystal ones.
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=34743

I have Hella H4 jobs and am searching for spares, in case I break one (heaven forbid!). The part number on them is now redundant. I'm thinking of adapting some 200x142mm jobs as you can get crystal lenses for them. Shouldn't be too hard, should fit in the surrounds, just need to mod the backing and mounting setups.

#20 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

If you still got floor mounted dip switch, buy 60/55W globes and you shouldnt have any dramas leaving the wiring as is.
If you go for higher wattage globes relays would be advised.
Easiest way is 2 relays mounted on drivers side inner guard.
All that is needed is the relays, a handful of spade crimp connectors and a length of heavy wire to run from the battery.
Best way is 4 relays. 2 mounted each side close to the headlight.
Would try to keep that red rubber shroud in use if possible.

#21 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:10 PM

i know nothing about these relays. literally anything electrical i shit myself. ill get my mate to read this up. bought these ones off evilbay for 20 bucks with surrounds. he didnt mention they were hella h4 tho.

#22 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

Any chance u could measure them up for us i have a early hilux at work atm and the sqaure headlights are h4 type i know they fit into geminis might fit LH torana aswell

cheers dennis

#23 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:59 PM

Any chance u could measure them up for us i have a early hilux at work atm and the sqaure headlights are h4 type i know they fit into geminis might fit LH torana aswell

cheers dennis

Negatory on that one Dennis.
Hilux use the 200x142mm. I have tried before and they won't fit.
As I mentioned above, I'm starting to consider modifying the backings so they will, as they're easy to get.

There's a bit of info in this thread:
http://www.gmh-toran...stal headlights

#24 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Nic I reckon you got a bargain.
Like I said before if you only use the low wattage globes, just put em in and use them.
Would be better with relays though. Put them in at a later date.

#25 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

i believe i have one of these in the shed... H4 type. I'll check.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users