Fastest Holden 6 Powered Sedan

• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#151 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

Thats all good and well, If you want to drive for hours to get there and back, Its probly gonna benefit the riverland guys more so than us in adelaide,
Having a city based strip was good, you could drive the car there do some runs, drive home, If something broke it wasnt a HUGE Ordeal to get it home.
we may aswell drive to whyalla and run the 1/8th and rob can run 6.70's with a sniff of gas

I Dont get why AIR Has to just sit there and waste away....

#152 _vinceHB_

_vinceHB_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

Thats all good and well, If you want to drive for hours to get there and back, Its probly gonna benefit the riverland guys more so than us in adelaide,
Having a city based strip was good, you could drive the car there do some runs, drive home, If something broke it wasnt a HUGE Ordeal to get it home.
we may aswell drive to whyalla and run the 1/8th and rob can run 6.70's with a sniff of gas

I Dont get why AIR Has to just sit there and waste away....

That is true, and the riverland motorsport club probably wouldnt be building a track if AIR was still running. Just because you cant drive there and drive home is crap, how do you think all the other drag racers feel in the rest of the state that cant do that..
The track down here is only going to start off with running 1/8th mile racing, until it is all up and running good and then have full comp meets with doorslammers on full 1/4 mile concrete.

Go to this link and look at the council approval.. http://www.riverland.../BlankPage3.htm

#153 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:11 AM

Rob... how good is your memory?

Lined you up at AIR in JAN01 in my Orance LC GTR..
Was my first time at the drags
ran one run at 15.0 against a panel van, then I drew the next one against you.
Smashed the banjo to pieces and ended up getting towed home by a Vectra... memorable night

Need get a drag strip back in Adelaide to redeem myself.

I could never understand how you could get a banjo to hold together running as fast as you where.

#154 _TorYoda_

_TorYoda_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Well theres a N/A XU-1 here in NZ that ran best of 113mph but as he couldn't get it launched only ended with a 12.908@112mph from a 2.7 60ft holding it in 3rd gear.
One day we might see it back out there again with better gearing for an attempt at the 11 second bracket as we know its capable.

112mph is borderline for 11's in a street car..... gonna need to be VERY well sorted to make an 11 second pass with that terminal speed.

A mate of mine when I was 22 (that's 24 years ago now) had a silver and blue Methanol/nitrous FC that ran 9.6 at almost 150mph before he eventually gave up on it.. A GREY Motor at that!!! It wasn't overly reliable and often didn't last a full meeting but it certainly humbled the V8 crowd at Surfers paradise! I often wonder what happened to that car......... :dontknow:

#155 _TorYoda_

_TorYoda_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

double posted for some odd reason so I deleted it....... WTF?!

Edited by TorYoda, 24 January 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#156 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

grey motor? lol captain nitrous was the fastest grey with methanol/nitrous, did a 12.98.

#157 gassd6

gassd6

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Name:ricky
  • Car:Lc torana

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

Forced Induction:
there were a few with turbo's on lj's getting around, the red one in the photo ran 9's
theres a black lj with a turbo 202 from mackay i think running 9.2's
theres a few more tho, a turbo fc running 10.2's, a forum member has bought a hb with a gas 186 running low 10's.

aspirated well, my dad has run 12.21 ( vid in sig) but not the fastest, a yellow torana that ran 12.20 like 25 years ago called duel.
and Harrops Howler ran 11.84 but was cheating and using hydrazine as fuel.

cheers kevin

Hi guys the current engine in my Lc torana came out of Pauls fc in the photo, when in the fc it ran 12.2 in my can with a 100 shot of gas it ran a 13.1 @ 108mph on 13'' tyres with lots of wheel spin. Pauls fc made 508rwhp an ran a 10.1awesome gear.

Attached Files

#158 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

do you care to share a little bit about that nitrous motor? head cam bottom end exhaust? auto or manual? diff and gears? please

#159 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

does anyone know?

#160 _TorYoda_

_TorYoda_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

grey motor? lol captain nitrous was the fastest grey with methanol/nitrous, did a 12.98.

I remember Bob Hamilton (Captain nitrous) and his FJ quite well. A really nice gent to talk to and a gentleman racer! Speaking of Bob I wonder whatever happened to his legendary car?
The FC owners name was Russell but I forget his last name....too long ago..... I think it may have been Slack. Russell was not into competitive drag racing as such like the Captain was. He simply used the track on odd occasions to test his development. Working at a prominent engineering/machine shop at Brendale at the time allowed him the freedom to conduct experiments with his wild ideas. I recall the engine had the deck raised by 5/8" with a slice off another engine dowelled into place. It was than sleeved to seal the bores. The raised deck was to accomodate the longer Triumph conrods. He made some kind of crank girdle to stabilise the lower end and I welded additional counterweights to the crank on his request to help stabilise it. It had a big block chev balancer on the front for the same reason. The cylinder head was a Duggan (cross flow and rare even back then) ... a very exotic item! He would rev the thing close to 9000rpm, hence its reliabilty issues. I do not recall the exact nitrous setup but it consisted of a pair of Bobs direct port kits triggered seperately..... one by the pedal and the other by switch. I guess what you would call a crude 'staged' system. He did use slicks such as were available in the day and the diff and gears were from an old toyota Stout ute..... somewhere in the 5's I think it was. He used both manual and auto along the way but convertor tech being as limited as it was in the day his best results were with the cogger. I had an 1100 Katana at the time that ran 11 flat and there is no way I could keep with the FC in a straight line on it. It was just plain embarrassing.

Other mid 9 second engines I know of were Cliff Kiss 186 holden red powered 'slingshot' car..... It had an Eldred Norman blower on it, slurping methanol through four 2" Su's and it ran 9.54 at 149.5mph. This car was a national record holder here in OZ at one stage. Kinda makes old Bob's efforts seem fairly tame in comparison.^_^

Edited by TorYoda, 30 January 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#161 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

I recall the engine had the deck raised by 5/8" with a slice off another engine dowelled into place. It was than sleeved to seal the bores. The raised deck was to accomodate the longer Triumph conrods. He made some kind of crank girdle to stabilise the lower end and I welded additional counterweights to the crank on his request to help stabilise it. It had a big block chev balancer on the front for the same reason. The cylinder head was a Duggan (cross flow and rare even back then) ... a very exotic item! He would rev the thing close to 9000rpm...

Yeah. Real shit! :bowdown:

#162 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

so that nitrous 202 with the 4 barrel..

#163 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

I am thinking of going 4 barrel with my 186. i am just wondering what sort of nitrous shot is too much for a holden 6.

#164 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

Depends on how deep your pockets are!

#165 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

you could put 100hp through it forever and never have trouble

#166 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

Its got 100 already, i know for a fact 300 just sqaushs the pistons...

Might start playing with a few things

Edited by ChevLX_77, 31 January 2011 - 06:42 PM.

#167 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

I remember Bob Hamilton (Captain nitrous) and his FJ quite well. A really nice gent to talk to and a gentleman racer! Speaking of Bob I wonder whatever happened to his legendary car?
The FC owners name was Russell but I forget his last name....too long ago..... I think it may have been Slack. Russell was not into competitive drag racing as such like the Captain was. He simply used the track on odd occasions to test his development. Working at a prominent engineering/machine shop at Brendale at the time allowed him the freedom to conduct experiments with his wild ideas. I recall the engine had the deck raised by 5/8" with a slice off another engine dowelled into place. It was than sleeved to seal the bores. The raised deck was to accomodate the longer Triumph conrods. He made some kind of crank girdle to stabilise the lower end and I welded additional counterweights to the crank on his request to help stabilise it. It had a big block chev balancer on the front for the same reason. The cylinder head was a Duggan (cross flow and rare even back then) ... a very exotic item! He would rev the thing close to 9000rpm, hence its reliabilty issues. I do not recall the exact nitrous setup but it consisted of a pair of Bobs direct port kits triggered seperately..... one by the pedal and the other by switch. I guess what you would call a crude 'staged' system. He did use slicks such as were available in the day and the diff and gears were from an old toyota Stout ute..... somewhere in the 5's I think it was. He used both manual and auto along the way but convertor tech being as limited as it was in the day his best results were with the cogger. I had an 1100 Katana at the time that ran 11 flat and there is no way I could keep with the FC in a straight line on it. It was just plain embarrassing.

Other mid 9 second engines I know of were Cliff Kiss 186 holden red powered 'slingshot' car..... It had an Eldred Norman blower on it, slurping methanol through four 2" Su's and it ran 9.54 at 149.5mph. This car was a national record holder here in OZ at one stage. Kinda makes old Bob's efforts seem fairly tame in comparison.^_^

what a coincedince, a good friend of mines name is russell, has a blue/ silver fc and used to work in brendale, this one has a blown red motor though.
i think bob did quite well with what he was working with, the grey ex ports flow terribly in comparison to the inlets.
the car has now got a nitrous red motor but has only done a 11.7 so far as the first 2 gears are on the bumper bar. has done a 7.1 1/8 though.

but your right yes bobs is very tame compared to that !

#168 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

what bottom end does it have. and what did it have with 300

#169 _TorYoda_

_TorYoda_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

what a coincedince, a good friend of mines name is russell, has a blue/ silver fc and used to work in brendale, this one has a blown red motor though.
i think bob did quite well with what he was working with, the grey ex ports flow terribly in comparison to the inlets.
the car has now got a nitrous red motor but has only done a 11.7 so far as the first 2 gears are on the bumper bar. has done a 7.1 1/8 though.

but your right yes bobs is very tame compared to that !

That's too close to not be the same fella. I'm impressed he still has the car! Last I saw/heard of him (about 25 years ago) he was starting to play with Blowers..... Ask him about the other engine and see if my memory is accurate.... If not please refresh me..... it WAS a long time ago. I had a white Lj torana at the time that ran low 14's and a black Suzuki Katana..... and worked for Stingray Boats at Brendale. No idea if he would remember me or not.:dontknow: I moved southside with a GF and lost touch with the whole group. I still remember some of the nicknames from the group but it's all a bit faded now. A couple of them were into EH's at the time.... Be kinda nice to catch up.

#170 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

im not sure its the same bloke, his last names murr. used to work at haywoods engine reconditioners. he never played with grey motors much so afraid its not the same bloke :dontknow:

#171 _Bad Blood_

_Bad Blood_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Ive put 100hp shot in my 202 blue did 11.8 and no worries i,m trying 150hp in a couple of weeks and I,ll let you know how it go,s. I was running triple 2in SUs main thing I think is to make sure that you don't run things too lean. Check that the carby mixture is ok and then work on your nitrous / fuel mixture if in doubt go a bit rich and also rule of thumb retard the timing 2 deg for every 50 hp shot + 2deg more safety margin

I am thinking of going 4 barrel with my 186. i am just wondering what sort of nitrous shot is too much for a holden 6.

#172 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Mate of mine has 260hp at the fly and 150 shot of nos on top. 208 in a lc. No fuggin track to run it on here though, but it is bloody quick!

#173 xu1kid

xu1kid

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Name:anthony
  • Car:lj gtr xu1

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

are you blokes running forged piston or cast pistons would cast pistons handle a 100 shot

#174 _Bad Blood_

_Bad Blood_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

I think they are just cast flat top pistons with chrome molly rings at about $250 with rings I don't think they would be forged.

are you blokes running forged piston or cast pistons would cast pistons handle a 100 shot

#175 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

what are you running n/a bad blood?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users