* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#251 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

OK, where are we. I've been doing a bit to the hatch so figure I'd better post some more pics.

I found this hideous creature in my shed the other day. Actually, it's out there all the time. Any idea how I can kill it?

Posted Image

I finally got the sump back from the welder. It looks a little odd, but so do I, so who am I to judge : )

I actually really like the checker plate.

Posted Image

I took a heap of measurements then set about modifying the oil pick up to suit the new shallower pan.

I have to cut 50mm out of this, which will remove the part of the tube where the mounting tab is attached.

Posted Image

I just welded a new support on the mounting tab before cutting the pipe, so the tab stays in the right place.

Posted Image

With a bit of trimming a even got the baffle back into the pan. One of the bolt holes was lost in the modifying process, but it's such a sturdy plate 3 bolts will be fine.

Posted Image

Here's the oil pickup with the 50mm taken out.

Posted Image

It even fits!

Posted Image

When it came time to fit the sump I had a good look at it and noticed it had warped in the welding process. Not great.

Posted Image

I thought I'd just throw the sump on anyway just to make sure the modifications I'd made were going to fit how I'd hoped. I put all the bolts in finger tight and started at one end and worked my way across, and it pulled down with no effort at all. I'll probably still get it faced, just to make sure.

Posted Image

I even managed to cut open the webbing in my thumb, so that was a good time : )

Posted Image

Here's just another look at the modified sump.

Posted Image

Thanks Adam. I agree totally in regards to black.

SEE BROTHER!!!!!! BLACK IS GOOD DAMN IT!!!!!! :spoton:

#252 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

The hatch is coming along nicely. It's amazing what little ripples you can find in a panel with the aid of a long block.
It's a very useful tool.

#253 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

With the motor lowered back into the car I knew it was an improvement as I was able to get bolts through the engine mounts, as opposed to last time when the sump just sat on the crossmember.

Posted Image

I'm really happy with the clearance the sump now has around the rack and crossmember.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not so excited by the amount of room on the drivers side with the steering column put back in :dontknow:

Posted Image

I'd like to run a VT booster and cylinder so will have to see how I go for room there too.

Posted Image

I picked up the new centreforce clutch today too.

Posted Image

#254 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

I'm not so excited by the amount of room on the drivers side with the steering column put back in :dontknow:

I'd like to run a VT booster and cylinder so will have to see how I go for room there too.

Standard Torana ---> only a fishes asshole is tighter, and that's watertight.

#255 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

The booster clearance can be improved by moving the last coil pack up higher on the rocker cover or relocating them altogether.

If you think the steering clearance is tight now, wait until you start work on the headers. You can improve the clearance a bit by trimming the steering column tube back to the firewall.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 02 February 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#256 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

I found this hideous creature in my shed the other day. Actually, it's out there all the time. Any idea how I can kill it?

Posted Image

Needs a bit of bog!!! :dontknow:

#257 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

Those centreforce clutches have a reputation for being very bad at disengaging properly at high RPM!

#258 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

I finally got around to putting a bit of filler on the modified heater box. I'm not too good at icing cakes, so it doesn't look too pretty before it's sanded : )

Posted Image

Then after about 2 hours of trying to get the 6 speed in from underneath and nearly having a prolapse, I said enough is enough. Everyone said I wouldn't be able to mount the motor and box through the engine bay, so I decided that's what I'd do. So I pulled the motor out again and bolted the box on.

Posted Image

6 bolts later and the nose cone and top rail or the radiator support were gone. I'm sure glad I went to the trouble of making that top rail removable.

Posted Image

The motor and box go in at such a nice angle with the top rail out of the way. I don't know why I haven't seen this done before when it's so easy to do. Having said that, I'm sure there are lots with it done, I just haven't seen them.

Posted Image

Well after a bit of fiddling around and jiggling things a bit the motor and box are in relatively easily. Just as well as I was on my own.

Posted Image

It didn't look like there would be much room between the tailshaft and the floor, so I machined up these 25mm spacers to lower the gearbox a bit. They might not be needed, but I'll find out when I run a string line to the diff to check for room. The back of the car will be a bit lower than it is now, that's why I'm a bit concerned.

Posted Image

The gearstick even came through the right hole now everything is bolted in right : )

Posted Image

With the running gear in place I bolted a couple of flares on to see how the car sat, so I can see how much more I need to lower it. I'm thinking a couple of inches all round.

Posted Image

I did a trial fit of the modded heater box. Works a treat.

Posted Image

Now I just need to keep nagging my brother to let me paint the whole car black!!!!!!

Andy, thanks again for all the useful info. You're like my Yoda :rockon:

Yella SLuR I'll give that a go tomorrow :iagree:

I've known a few people to run centreforce clutches and had no problems, but time will tell I guess?

#259 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

I just hope you weren't actually under the car taking those photos when it is just supported by the trolley jack ??

Looking better every day - getting more and more jealous - can't wait to get my hatch home and start working on it.....

Edited by niterida, 02 February 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#260 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Ken. I'm a bit anal about axle stands myself, so trust me when I say the only thing under the car was my arm and camera. The shots of the sump I had stands under the lower arms, then once I'd taken the pics I dropped the car again. I then thought I should get pics of the box, so raised it up again. I was a bit pooped and lazy, so didn't use the stands. I'm a naughty boy :cry:

I'm a tad jealous too. It's like I'm building my dream car, and not having to pay for it, which is nice, but at the end I have to give it away. Not good!

I did a trial fit of a front and rear wheel today. Very nice indeed.

THIS CAR NEEDS TO BE BLACK!!!! YOU HEAR ME BROTHER!!!!!! : )

#261 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

Posted Image

Not to fear! i hear it may live on beer and nitrous oxide..so keep a stash in the garage and all should be well..:tomaatit::D

P.s Cars looking good lol. :spoton:

#262 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

Thanks Aido :spoton:

I feel that if I feed it then it may never go away. And I mean, look how bloody ugly it is!!!!

#263 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:18 AM

This hatch just keeps getting better. :rockon:

Cheers Mick.

#264 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

I even managed to cut open the webbing in my thumb, so that was a good time : )

Posted Image

LOL!! hatch's seem to like biting that area!

Attached File  DSC00702.JPG   139.44K   18 downloads

Hope you dont end up in hospital too!!

best UC ive ever seen!

#265 _bradman_

_bradman_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hi Mate
Great job!!!!
Do you need another "younger" Brother?

#266 _eh-buddy_

_eh-buddy_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

if your interested in selling the rims pm me

they would great on my hillclimber

#267 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

do it black just do the blackouts in red lol (i'm thinking a dark candy apple style so it sorta blends and you hardly notice it)
keeps everybody happy
and the hq gts's had the same idea with the purple cars etc
looked real good in my opinion
anyway love your work and the build so far has been unreal
wish you where my brother too lol

#268 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Posted Image

Black with red or purple or silver "blackouts" would look pretty good......maybe....

Photoshop anyone?

Like the Black SLR5000's that have silver lettering....

#269 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

VERRRY NIIIICE (in my best borat voice)

#270 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

Thanks a lot Matt, now I have "very nice" Borat style going over and over in my head hahahaha : )

As for using these rims on a hillclimber, they're too heavy man, you want less unsprung weight. Stick to alloys.

Well there's been a little bit more work done. Stripped one of the axles out to make sure the 9 inch had holden axle tubes, which it does, yay, so commodore discs are going on the rear, nice and easy. Bought the new disc brake wheel bearings and seals to suit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are just a tad better than the old corse spline banjo axles : ) Even though they're only 28 spline, they'll do the job.

Posted Image

Cut all the old UC headlight gunk off and cleaned the area up a bit.

Posted Image

Then bolted the new headlight mounts in with some stainless allen head bolts.

Posted Image

Also removed all the bits of UC light mounts that were spot welded on. It looks a lot cleaner with all that stuff gone.

Posted Image

Finally unwrapped the rear bumper today. It arrived a looong time ago, so this is the first time I've seen it. It's not bad except for a couple of minor dings and one end has been pushed around a bit. It'll get the smooth treatment too, like the front bumper.

Posted Image

I don't know why, but I assumed the new bar wouldn't have mounts on it, so I dug the old UC bar out to steal it's mounts, but the new bar has mounts and bolts attached. Bargain : )

Posted Image

My lovely daughter even came down to help out for a while.

Posted Image

#271 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

I also got the heater box ready for primer.

Posted Image

The B pillar vents are so crusty on this thing. There's so much paint on there that it's bubbled up and looks like it has chemical burns or something.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It sure is going to be fun stripping these back, as they're only plastic.

There's only one good way I know of to strip plastic, so we emptied an old plastic tub that the vents would fit in, then added some random bits to take up some space so I didn't need as much liquid to cover the vents.

Posted Image

The poured 4 litres of sweet smelling wonder juice over them : )

Posted Image

For those that might not know what I'm talking about, here it is -

Posted Image

Also started work on the shifter surround that will house the rubber to keep the gunk outside. For things like this I just love thin cardboard. It's the best for making templates.

Posted Image

Tonight I bought a VY V8 commodore brake booster and master cylinder, and a VS engine thermo fan and A/C thermo fan. Gee I'm a good brother : ) Until he realises he's not getting this car back ........bwahahahahaha.... :badabing:

Oh, and brother, BLACK!!!!! ALL BLACK!!!!!!

Here's the new bits from tonight, just in case you give a crap :spoton:

Posted Image

#272 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

stop working so hard, your making everyone look bad !!!!!! LOVE IT !

truth be known I am just trying to fill up this page so I dont have to watch that ugly mug load up each time !!!!

Edited by Skapinad, 03 February 2010 - 09:09 PM.

#273 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........................ love it :rockon: My ugly mug is a bit scary.

What?

#274 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

you should use Au ford twin thermo's they look good and fit the radiator perfect! look like they kinda should be there!

#275 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hey milco, funny you should mention that. My brother said he's bought some for it, so I'll just stash the VS fan away for another car and use the twin fans I think.

Thanks for the info.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users