* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#526 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

I had nut inserts onmy flares too they are one of those things that once you have used them you wonder how you ever did without.
I used one cable to the left front of the car and one to the right front and one to the rear and then a smaller 5 core .5 mill to the engine, i had deul ail and water temp gauges so the only other wirering outside of the dash was battery and alturnator
Posted Image

see all hidden

anyways as I have said before top effort mr Dirt

#527 xu1kid

xu1kid

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Name:anthony
  • Car:lj gtr xu1

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

great stuff mate shes coming along a treat i love the idea of air con cool in summer is always cool imo

#528 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

are the wheels Billet Specialties?
if i guess right will you show them to us ?Posted Image

looking good as always.

#529 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

Nice wire hide cruiza. Why did you hide the wiring then leave the battery and window washer in the bay? Seems weird. Maybe you should just give the car to me then it's my problem hahaha. Seriously, give it to me!

Thanks Anthony. I agree. A/C is the only way to go, especially up here in Qld.

Kevin, there is one more thing/hint I can give you. The wheels are alloy, and a silvery colour : ) hahaha...... Sorry about that, but I'm under strict orders to not tell you they're 12 slotters. Damn!!! I gave it away......

#530 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

Nice wire hide cruiza. Why did you hide the wiring then leave the battery and window washer in the bay? Seems weird. Maybe you should just give the car to me then it's my problem hahaha. Seriously, give it to me!

Thanks Anthony. I agree. A/C is the only way to go, especially up here in Qld.

Kevin, there is one more thing/hint I can give you. The wheels are alloy, and a silvery colour : ) hahaha...... Sorry about that, but I'm under strict orders to not tell you they're 12 slotters. Damn!!! I gave it away......

Sorry mate a man with money beat you to it and she gone but not forgotten from my life and I have a real bad case of wanting to do another. I have been two years without my Torana or even a Holden in mylife
I was after the stock but not look hence washer bottle etc you note the size of the battery, I needed all the juice I could get as was running 11.5 to 1 compression and had hassles with starter motors, I had plans to put it in the boot but decided againest it when I realised how much juice I needed to start it. I believe the new owner has put the battery in the boot and detuned the motor.
So seeing as I don't have a hatch and am suffering terribly and you do have one that you are intenting to give away, I should say thank you for my new hatch and give you a pat on the back for all the good wrk you are doing on MY new hatch.:rockon:

#531 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

If you are worried about the size of then flange on the nutsert then there are small flange nutserts available. The small flange nutserts are less than half the thickness of the large flange nutserts. Once installed they are almost flat.

Large flange
Posted Image

Small flange
Posted Image

Installed photo from the web
Posted Image

#532 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

Cruiza, I think my brother will put up a bit of a fight in regards to that, but I love the way you think : )

Andy, I did look at the smaller lipped ones, but wasn't convinced they'd have enough bite for the flares. I know they're strong, but I'd hate for one to fail after it's finished and in canberra.

Well today was a frustrating day, but still good at the same time.

I mounted the air conditioning condenser and dryer in front of the radiator, so when the A/C guy comes back to make the hoses it's all ready to go.

Posted Image

I mounted the dryer on the bonnet latch stay. Of course being a kid with a new toy I mounted it with nutserts : ) The big hole is for the A/C line to pass through.

I also changed the radiator mounting. It now mounts with nutserts too. I can't stop : )

Posted Image

I'll have to open up the holes a bit in the radiator support panel where the bumper mounts go through to make room for the A/C lines.

Posted Image

The next, very annoying, job was to fit new rear brake pads, rotors and handbrake shoes.

I used bendix handbrake shoes, as they're a pain in the a$$ to change compared to pads.

Posted Image

The only problem with swapping to commodore discs is the caliper and the axle hat are ever just slightly out of alignment, and the easiest fix is to shim the rotor off the axle hat a tad.

Sounds really easy, and I guess it is, but I went and bought a stack of shims and washers of all various widths to get this done. Anyone who's played with these brakes knows how much of a pain it is getting to the caliper bolts. Imagine then, fitting shims, fit rotor, do up 1 wheel nut to locate rotor, mount caliper and tighten both bolts. Rotor wont turn. Slowly undo rotor until you can tell which way it's adjusted wrong. Remove caliper, remove 1 tight wheel nut and remove rotor, change shims, then do it all again. Grrrrr. 5 times it took, but it's perfect now. Let's not talk about how annoying the springs are to refit in the handbrake shoes.

Posted Image

Well, it was worth the muck around I guess, as it's all good and proper now.

Posted Image

Here's the old pads, shoes and rotor from the right hand side. Note the approx 1.5mm lip on the inner and outer edge of the rotor. Nice : )

Posted Image

Well tomorrow should see some tyres get fitted to the mystery wheels. Tuesday is booked for the exhaust system. I need to measure up for a tail shaft then I think it can get ripped apart and coloured in. Here's hoping anyway : )

#533 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

i so want one of those nutsert guns Posted Image your doing a really neat job there Tim, Posted Image

#534 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

The only problem with swapping to commodore discs is the caliper and the axle hat are ever just slightly out of alignment, and the easiest fix is to shim the rotor off the axle hat a tad.

Interesting, I never would have thought of that. Most people just change to the disc brake axle seals.

I agree nial8r, I want a nutsert gun too now!

#535 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

I once made a nutsert gun out of a normal rivet gun - it worked too - not as good as the real thing but good enough Posted Image

#536 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

Hiya 76lxhatch. I did swap the bearings and seals to disc brake ones, but when using non commodore axles the shims are still necessary, as far as I know anyway. My friends green hatch - I think there's a few pics of it in this thread - needed the same thing done when it got converted to commodore discs. It also runs a 9 inch with holden axle tubes.

Either way, it's done now so I'm happy : )

I certainly don't claim to know everything, so thanks to everyone who has helped with priceless info during this build. I sure am glad I took the time to post on this site, as everyone I've chatted to here seems to be an asshole, so that makes me feel better about myself hahahahaha. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Thanks again for the info and feedback.

#537 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:37 PM

Yea the disc brake seals are to take the end play out... Ive been told to shim the caliper rather then the disc... havnt done it yet tho.

#538 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

In my head I thought shim the caliper too, but unfortunately the caliper mounts on the disc rotor side of the mounting bracket, so I would have to actually machine metal off the caliper to fix the problem. It just seemed easier/quicker to use shims, even though it was a pain and took ages : )

#539 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

Hiya 76lxhatch. I did swap the bearings and seals to disc brake ones, but when using non commodore axles the shims are still necessary, as far as I know anyway.

Ah I see, I should have thought about it a bit longer, you'd have bearing problems without changing the seals regardless. Duh, carry on... :spoton:

#540 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

Well, first job today was taking the wheels down to the tyre shop, as the tyres have arrived : )

The rear tyres caused a few dramas with their crazy hard sidewall, but they're on now, and look awesome.

The front tyres are 225/50/15s and the rears are 285/40/15.

Posted Image

First thing I had to do once home from the tyre shop was finish off the left rear brake overhaul. It was a pain as they all seem to be. I then fitted the nutserts into the left rear guard for the flare.

Well, here you go guys. A pic of the car with the new wheels and tyres on it.

Posted Image

I told you my brother wants them to be a secret until it's finished. At least you can see how good the dish is on the wheels. : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think the cardboard hubcaps and the pattern on the rear tyres give it a nice sprintcar feel : )

Posted Image

Does this make my bum look big?

Posted Image

I borrowed an aftermarket intake from a friend of mine to see how it looked on the car. I don't mind it actually, but would prefer something that goes out both sides, instead of just to the passengers side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm crossing my fingers that tomorrow will see the A/C lines get made finally. I still have to mount the charcoal canister, now that I've repaired it. Oh yeah, it was broken. Fixed now though.

#541 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

them 285's look horn mate Posted Image thx for givin us look at the wheels too Posted Image theres gonna be alot of guessing going on now i bet, and a nice polished Y piece for the twin intake will look the goods too

#542 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

Looking good mate. :)
I think I will have to add a Nutsert gun to my future shopping list!

#543 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

I reckon those wheels would look good as they are if the car was painted the same colour as the 'centres' hehehe

Edited by niterida, 08 April 2010 - 09:56 PM.

#544 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

Does this make my bum look big?

Hell yes, and it's hot! :clappin:

I borrowed an aftermarket intake from a friend of mine to see how it looked on the car. I don't mind it actually, but would prefer something that goes out both sides, instead of just to the passengers side.

Just as long as you don't have an ugly pod filter hanging out in the middle of nowhere...

#545 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:45 PM

Looks awesome. Good to see you haven't fitted bloody stupid big diameter billet wheels. I'm sick of seeing 18s and 20s on Toranas. A bit of sidewall looks tough!

#546 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

I like the idea of an Over the radiator intake.

The Black twin turbo LX Hatch had a really neat OTR set-up. With your skills i reckon you could fab one up!

#547 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

How would you fit it in without lowering the radiator etc? (which is a really BAD thing)

#548 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

Or set the radiator back a little bit and suck air from the top.

#549 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

I think Dirtbag is on the right path already.

Nice big Y pipe out the front, split into two large polished pipes running down behind each headlight, only thing is, he is going to need to make a small hole/scoop to feed it fresh cool air and start priming the engine bay again! hahahahaha! (<<evil laugh)

#550 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

Knowing Dirtbag, he's probably already one step ahead of us!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users