* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#551 _markbeath_

_markbeath_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

May i ask what brand the 285's are and where there from?
Love reading this thread!
Cheers Mark

#552 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

I sure am glad I took the time to post on this site, as everyone I've chatted to here seems to be an asshole, so that makes me feel better about myself hahahahaha. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I didn't think anyone noticed...:Buddy:

#553 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

Well, here you go guys. A pic of the car with the new wheels and tyres on it.

Posted Image

I hate you so much right now..lol these wheels better be freakin amazing :cry:

Edited by AD_75, 09 April 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#554 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

mmm i just bought a rivnut gun as i am about to put some flares on my self, i was a bit sceptical about how easy it would be to fit with the gun but you have proved that its easy peezy... rivnut gun = $50 au total sent from UK 3mm to 6mm, rivnuts bought from costless bolts in melb $12.60 for 50 = i am in love...... now what else can i use rivnut's for........

#555 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hello again : )

Heath, you're right, lowering the radiator was never an option. My brother did talk of an OTR setup, but personally I think it looks a bit like ass :)

Matt, I'd love to be able to move the radiator back, but there really isn't much room between the motor and radiator, so not worth doing. Good idea though.

Hi Mark. The rear tyres are Yokohama. I bought them from Rayners tyre centre in nambour. They weren't in stock at that shop, but they had them in the next day, so was happy with that. I think any decent tyre shop will be able to get them.

Terra LX - I noticed : )

Aido - hahaha : ) They are very nice wheels. Like I said earlier, the best 12 slotters I've ever seen :)

Hi @milco@. Nutsert/rivnut guns are great fun. Yours sure was a good price. Mine was heaps more than that : ( Mine does more sizes though : ) Other than the flares, I've also used them to mount the radiator and the A/C dryer. I'm sure I'll find something else to use them on : )

OK. This rotten air intake business. I tried the alloy aftermarket one and brother didn't like it. I guess I didn't either really. I still liked the idea of it being symetrical. So did brother. So I went out this morning and bought some 3" mandrel bends, some 3" pipe and a weird little double flared piece of 2" pipe. You'll see why.

Posted Image

The opening of this intake will be a small piece of 4" pipe, which I don't have yet, so the first thing I did was to cut two of the mandrel bends to the length I wanted out of the throttle body, then cut the side out of each where they join. I made sure where they join is just under 4 inches, so when I get the pipe it can go over the top.

I clamped the two pieces to a piece of 10mm flat bar to make sure they stayed in line while I welded them.

Posted Image

The passengers side will be fairly straight forward, as there isn't really anything in the way. The drivers side however has top and bottom radiator hoses in the way.
To have the two intakes and still be able to close the bonnet I had to allow the top radiator hose to fit inside the new intake. It was a pain in the bum to do but it looks much better, as not only is the intake symmetrical, but you can't really see the top radiator hose any more : )

Here's the first piece welded in for the recess for the top hose.

Posted Image

Sure it's going to be a restriction, but hey, it's got the other side too.

Posted Image

Because this piece will be getting chromed, I want to be able to sand it smooth where it's welded. I try to keep the welds as flat as I can, so it's easier to sand. Mainly because I'm lazy : ) And I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy a TIG.

Posted Image

This is the area that a 3" pipe is supposed to fit. I didn't like my chances, so this is where the flared 2" pipe comes into play.

Posted Image

I welded the flared 2" pipe in the area where it passes the chassis rail. This means it will actually fit, so any loss in flow can go jump : )

Posted Image

Here you can see how it works with the smaller pipe. It's still close, but it fits. Notice also the top radiator hose is inside the intake pipe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's just a few shots showing the overall look I'm going for. I still need to mount it and fit air cleaners, but you get the idea. Nice and symmetrical (not perfectly, but close enough) and no filters visible. Lovely : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More good news, got the A/C lines made today. Starting at the compressor.

Posted Image

The front bits.

Posted Image

And the part that joins into the A/C unit itself. Don't worry about how saggy it looks. All of these hoses have to come out again when the car gets painted, so they can get mounted properly after that. In order to keep my brothers promise of hiding the wheels, I coloured the front wheel in. I did leave a bit in the middle not covered, so you can figure out what they are : )

Posted Image

I like this pic just because there's crap going everywhere and it still looks a bit busted arse : )

Posted Image

Well that's it for today. Once I have the air filter I'll finish the intake. It'll have a pod under each side of the engine bay, out of sight. I like the look of it so far. I'm sure others will think it looks crap, but I can't help it if they're wrong : )

Edited by dirtbag, 09 April 2010 - 06:56 PM.

#556 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

I have figured it out I know what your wheels are

Round!

#557 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

LOL @ the wheels in the photo

Anyway, scrap that intake, scrap the inlet manifold. Fab up a tunnelram and put a nice big panel under the scoop mate. Otherwise it will just be a RICER

(I wouldn't have put that comment in anyone else's thread, but i know dirtbag has thick skin and lotsa skill to do that kind of improvement)

#558 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

LOL @ the wheels in the photo

Anyway, scrap that intake, scrap the inlet manifold. Fab up a tunnelram and put a nice big panel under the scoop mate. Otherwise it will just be a RICER

(I wouldn't have put that comment in anyone else's thread, but i know dirtbag has thick skin and lotsa skill to do that kind of improvement)

Heath, I think your idea of ricer and everyone elses are 2 different things. There is no way that a functional intake that improves the air flow is in any way Ricer. This is a brilliant intake that will look even better when finished (unless it is chromed - yuk) - I especially like the way it hides the radiator hoses. Even though it is losing a lot of potential flow down the drivers side I think the symmetry and the other unobstructed side more than makes up for it.

#559 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, I agree with Ken : )

My idea of a ricer is a bit more pansy and try hard than this car. Having said that, Heath, lovin the tunnel ram idea : )

#560 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

Having said that, Heath, lovin the tunnel ram idea : )

Yeah me too - do it - you know you want to...................................

#561 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

I love this thread, I'm checking back a few times a day looking for updates! Well done!

Do you think you will get heat soak into intake pipe over the radiator hose, or are you going to shield the radiator hose under the intake pipe?

<edit> Are you going to remove the power steering pump and fill the hole in the engine covers, that would look much neater :).

Damien

Edited by jabba, 10 April 2010 - 07:22 AM.

#562 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

My brother doesn't like how it compromises flow with the mods I had to make so it would actually fit, so I've binned it. Back to the drawing board.

As for the power steering, I think he's still waiting to hear back about one of those subaru power rack kits that someone in this forum makes, so the pump will stay, at least for now.

#563 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

My brother doesn't like how it compromises flow with the mods I had to make so it would actually fit, so I've binned it. Back to the drawing board.

So 8 ram tubes straight up into the scoop it is then Posted Image

#564 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Do something fancy and custom with the radiator outlets and relocate the top hose, it would go well with the rest of this build ;).

#565 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

I do not think flow would be a problem as one of the pipes you used would flow more than the throttle body. I think heat would be a bit of a problem. I my opinion air quality below the bumper level is poor, particularly in Perth which is basically a sandpit.

Something like this would make the bonnet scoop operational, and provide clean, cold air.

Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 10 April 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#566 _76_LX_

_76_LX_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

Dammit, I really wanna see those rims! :P

#567 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

Heath, I think your idea of ricer and everyone elses are 2 different things. There is no way that a functional intake that improves the air flow is in any way Ricer. This is a brilliant intake that will look even better when finished (unless it is chromed - yuk) - I especially like the way it hides the radiator hoses. Even though it is losing a lot of potential flow down the drivers side I think the symmetry and the other unobstructed side more than makes up for it.

:Headbang2: I'm talking about the scoop being non-functional.

#568 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

I'd be very skeptical that there are any flow issues with it, but oh well.

Something like this would make the bonnet scoop operational, and provide clean, cold air.

Now that is cool! :spoton: And functional.

#569 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

You could base the airbox on the design used by 2tough

Posted Image

#570 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

Well my brain hurts trying to figure out a way of making this thing symmetrical and not compromise flow, so for now he can have the standard black plastic pipe that came with the motor.

The airbox under the scoop idea is good, but then there's the symmetry problem again.

I still have other stuff to sort out so I'm going to concentrate on that and leave the intake for now. I feel enough time has been wasted on it. I liked it, and figured the flow loss was well catered for by the unobstructed other side, and the heat issue I can't see as being a huge problem, as the standard air intake runs along near the top tank anyway. The half a second it takes for the air to pass the "hot spot" where it goes over the top hose surely can't make too much difference to a dead stock engine.

Anyway, I'm sure something will come to me when I least expect it, and hey, we all make mistakes - to some people anyway.

So if anyone has any ideas that look good, are symmetrical, don't involve shaker scoops (Andy, how could you? hahha) or super expensive 8 throttle set ups please let me know. This car deserves something interesting, as all the other things my brother has wanted in my opinion will make this car very nice indeed.

Have I mentioned my brain hurts?????!!!!!!

#571 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

Why is it so important that it's symmetrical?

#572 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hi 76lxhatch. It's just an aesthetics thing. In my opinion it just looks so much better when it's symmetrical. There's no mechanical/practical reason for it.

I think Heath is right, it needs a tunnel ram : )

#573 _red roar_

_red roar_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

Geez mate, ive just toasted the day reading your whole build, looks fantastic, ive skipped over it without looking due to the UC reference in the title, but youve fixed all of the ugly bits. i reckon the front indicators wouldve looked fine, considering theyre fairly well hidden, but each to thier own i guess. keep up the good work.

#574 _DomDom_

_DomDom_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hi Tim,

Absolutely fantastic job on the car. Those pipes are looking really nice and I agree with you there would have been no real problem with air flow restriction because the other side would more than compensate. You could always send them my way ;-).

What if you made them in a slightly lower profile rectangular section that would take the same route but over the top of the radiator pipe and own as you planned? The bottom could round out to the flange you had on those ones.

Dom.

#575 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:06 PM

Could you cut the radiator inlet off and get it welded on at a 45' angle downwards to give more clearance for the pipe?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users