* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#576 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Im in love with that intake idea haha pitty the 5ltr doesnt have its throttle body in the middle! i check this thread everyday and you've nearly always done something new! keep up the good work

Ben

#577 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hi Tim,

Mate, don�t change the MAF pipe it looks the shit.

If you completely blocked off the restricted side you would still have enough volume of air.

It needs to be symmetrical, imagine woman with only one tit, :o it just wont work. (That�s gona fill ya mind with weird & wonderful thoughts)

Cheers.

#578 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

Maybe someone would like to shout me one of these and solve all my problems : ) It would probably make more problems than it solved really, but how good does it look!!!!

Posted Image

Please :rockon:

#579 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

your a talented bugger so don't be so lazy make one yourself:tomaatit:

#580 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

Damn i love this thread ! Like most i have this link saved to my favs n actually forgot it's linked to a forum for a sec! Doh !Posted Image

#581 _red roar_

_red roar_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Hey Dirtbag, after the sump mods you did, how many litres of oil does it hold now?

#582 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hi Trevor. It's holds 5 litres now. It's basically the same as the old commodore sump, only backwards.

#583 _red roar_

_red roar_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi Trevor. It's holds 5 litres now. It's basically the same as the old commodore sump, only backwards.

Looks are deceiving mate, it doesnt seem very deep from the pics, but whatever it is, its a great job.

#584 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, it looks small now because it was so huge at the start. It still hangs down a tad past the crossmember. Either way, it has 5 litres of oil in it as we speak and reads well on the dipstick so I'm happy with that : )

#585 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

i wish we could see them rims Tim i have almost scratched a hole in the screen trying to get the cardboard off Posted Image

#586 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

i have see the rim's........... they look good, it is easy to work out how to view them.....

#587 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

yep, he should fix that :P.

#588 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

OK, I might be able to weld, but I don't know crap about computers : )

I didn't realise that would happen but it's fixed now. Thanks to the people who let me know, you know who you are :spoton:

#589 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

Well after a million and 1 emails back and forth with my brother we now have a plan on what to do with the intake. It'll be based on the first thing I made, only a bit different. I'll post some pics when I make it.

Today I attacked the new engine covers.

I'm not really happy with how the recesses for the mounting nuts line up with the mounting studs, so I'm going to add more fibreglass underneath so I can die grind the hole into the right position.

Posted Image

I'm also going to mutilate the area next to the brake booster/master cylinder. I don't like the big gap next to the booster, plus the rear corner actually touches the booster. Plus I'm going to change the shape of the cover so it shrouds where the brake lines enter the master cylinder.

Posted Image

Excuse the next pic, it's a nice blurry one : )

I've reshaped the cover near the master cylinder and taped everything into place.

Plus, I'm not 100% sure this car will be getting power steering, and earlier in the thread someone mentioned filling the hole in for the power steering fluid. Well the fluid reservoir lid sits lower than the engine cover anyway, so I figure it'd be easy enough to undo two nuts to get to the power steering fluid. This means I could fill the hole in the cover. So I will.

Posted Image

Once the resin was dry enough I took all the tape off. It looks good in my opinion, but I'm not a fibreglasser. Thank god : )

Posted Image

Obviously there is some trimming and filling to do but this is how the drivers side cover looks after the tape came off and had a quick trim to fit it into place. It looks bad now, but I'm sure it will shape up OK in the end.

Posted Image

I also added about 6 layers of matting around each mounting hole, so I can fix where the mounting nuts go.

While the covers were off I did the last little thing to the accelerator cable. It winds around the brake booster easily enough, but then if I run it through the original bracket near the throttle body you can see the cable when the cover is on. I modified the front cable mount so it's now hidden from view when the cover is on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I didn't realise I put this pic (above) in photo bucket, as it looks very bad. I'm too lazy to change it, but when it's all connected up the cable isn't on a big angle, it's straight. In this pic the cable isn't attached to the throttle body.

Well I made sure everything is bolted on properly, refitted the steering, adjusted the handbrake, cleaned everything out and tied all loose bits up ready for its trip to the exhaust shop tomorrow. Hopefully it's only gone for the day, then business can continue as usual on wednesday : )

Edited by dirtbag, 12 April 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#590 _red roar_

_red roar_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

Tim, will the power steering pump be ok running without the rest of the system in place? what im trying to ask is, would you just plug up the holes in the pump, and just use the steering fluid as lubricant for the pump? or could it run dry. feel free to ignore this if its a dumb question, as it was something i reckon your onto, but its not obvious to me.

how do you go with the fibreglass work? i repaired a ski boat years ago and still itch thinking about it.

cheers

#591 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hi Trevor. I think this car will have power steering on it at some stage, but if not, then you could just plug the holes, or loop the hoses and use the fluid to lubricate it, but the best way would be to remove it. Less weight, less drag and the motor and neater looking.

#592 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

You can't plug the powersteering pump, the pump will over pressurise.
You can't run it dry either.
Looping it may overpressurise the low pressure return aswell.
either run a smaller belt or purchase a dummy idler pully.

#593 Growla

Growla

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Car:LX SL/R LS1 conversion completed July 2010

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

I just got shorter belt and a pulley of a V6 supercharged engine and solved the problem.

Attached Files

#594 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

The green LS2 hatch ran the power steering pump as an idler until the twin turbos were fitted and it was painted black.

The V6 pulley looks good but the amount of belt contact with the crank and alternator is significantly reduced compared to the factory setup. It will be interesting to see if belt slippage is a problem. I think LS1LX removed the alternator idler and went straight from the crank to alternator to water pump.

Posted Image

CAE make an idler for $210 that would look at home on a tractor.
Posted Image

I bought this idler with the A/C bracket I was going to use.

Posted Image

Fitting an electric water pump is another option.

Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 13 April 2010 - 10:47 AM.

#595 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

Intake Ideas time!

Whats to stop you running the left hand pipe (the one that is modified to miss the radiator hose) closer to the engine covers and the same on the other side, then flicking them up and into a scoop/filter?

something like this-

Posted Image

If you wanted to get tricky, you could make a two piece airbox setup so that the lid and filter would go up with the bonnet and youd be left with two big fat intake pipes and maybe a small alloy box?

And get them HPC coated :)

#596 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

all this looking at threads makes me wanna go into the shed but its frOcking pouring outside :@:@

#597 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

I like Chris's idea!

#598 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

Whats to stop you running the left hand pipe (the one that is modified to miss the radiator hose) closer to the engine covers

There doesn't appear to be room for that in the photos previously posted, the height of the throttle body places it in front of a pulley and any sharper bend would be detrimental...

#599 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

Intake Ideas time!

Whats to stop you running the left hand pipe (the one that is modified to miss the radiator hose) closer to the engine covers and the same on the other side, then flicking them up and into a scoop/filter?

something like this-

Posted Image

If you wanted to get tricky, you could make a two piece airbox setup so that the lid and filter would go up with the bonnet and youd be left with two big fat intake pipes and maybe a small alloy box?

And get them HPC coated :)

i love this idea too!

The engine covers will look a lot better with the holes filled, your fibreglassing looks great!

#600 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

Yeah, my brother and I discussed using the airbox set up with a pipe on each side, but the engine covers are actually quite tall, and a 3" pipe wont fit over them and not hit the bonnet. It's OK though, we have a new plan.

Anyways, yesterday was a good day in two ways, except for the f$%king rain!!!

One of the cars I'd been working on in the last year has been this old rusty 2 door pontiac bonneville. I've been working on the hatch so much I hadn't touched it in ages, and the cars owner just built a new shed at his place, so out it goes!!!! It's massive, and takes up half the shed.

You can see it hiding in the background on a rotisserie.

Posted Image

It was such a good feeling knowing this thing was leaving. Don't get me wrong, once it's finished it'll be a great car, but I need the shed space.

It's been sitting idle for so long it has about 5mm of dust on it. Seriously!

Check the photo of it when it was going down the road as you can see all the dust blowing off. Looks funny : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

OK, now the other good thing about yesterday. The car went and got an exhaust system fitted.

Luckily though, seeing as it's the first day in about a year this car has seen the outside of a shed, it rained. Stupid weather.

Posted Image

Another lucky, is last week my father in law bought this car trailer. How good is that!!!!

This pic isn't really showing anything, for some reason I just like it : )

Posted Image

And here's the system. It's a 2 1/2 inch twin with bullet cat converters, straight through glass packed mufflers, balance pipe and 3" stainless tailpipes.

Posted Image

There was absolutely no way the 2 1/2 inch pipe was going to fit over the diff, so under it is then.

Posted Image

Pretty tail pipes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And back home where it belongs. Sorry brother, this is home. Car is mine now I've decided : )

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users