* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#601 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:13 AM

looking good mate... only a matter of time till you slip up and accidentally show the wheels in a photo !!

#602 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

Thanks Adam. I did already slip up though, as some smart a$$es got into my photobucket albums and found some of the original pics, before I coloured the wheels in : )

Not to worry, it's not a national secret or anything, my brother just wants something to be a bit of a surprise, as you all know every aspect of the rest of the car.

Either way, the car's mine now, so he doesn't have to worry about that any more hehehehe : )

#603 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

i love this build thread you have built 1 awesome car there. i wouldn't wanna hand it over when its done

#604 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

That looks tough as!

I love reading this thread!

#605 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

One option for the airbox in the scoop would be to replace the intake manifold with an Edelbrock EFI manifold and mount the factory throttle body on the manifold. It appears that the the factory throttle body and injectors will fit the manifold but you would need to confirm with Edelbrock. You would also need to check if the swap is legal.

Posted Image

#606 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

check these out.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=corvette%20intake&dds=1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

there might be somthing you can get already made from summit....

Edited by @milco@, 14 April 2010 - 10:54 AM.

#607 _eh-buddy_

_eh-buddy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

so are we going to clear the primer and buff it up or have you settled on a colour??

#608 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hi Paul. Maybe shiny primer is the go? I'll have to prime the sills first though, I don't like black sills. : )

Well today again proved how annoying the sunshine coast can be.

It took 4 different shops to find a piece of silicon hose with a 100mm I.D. to fit the new intake pipe.

I found a piece eventually, and also got a small offcut of 4" pipe and some more mandrel bends to start work on the intake.

ls2lxhatch told me that the oil filler neck, that protrudes from the engine cover, can be unscrewed and the oil cap screws to the tappet cover where the neck used to be. Bargain! Thanks again Andy.

Unfortunately for me that meant a bit more fibreglassing : (

Here's the cover before I chopped the oil filler out.

Posted Image

Even though the raised lip around the bottom of the hole is small, the whole area is flared up to meet it, so I cut the whole are away to get rid of the high spot.

Posted Image

With that done I prepped it and fibreglassed the hole up.

Posted Image

It's not pretty, but it will be eventually : )

Posted Image

Now, the only silicon hose I could get was blue, yuck, but I had no choice. Seeing as I only need a very short piece, I bought the widest stainless T clamps I could to try and cover it. Well, it certainly does that. Apart from the side of the hose, it's totally hidden.

Posted Image

From this angle it's all shiny metal and no gay blue pipe : )

Posted Image

The new intake has the pipes come out and sweep back, rather than the original one being 90 degrees. This meant I had to be careful with my measurements and cuts.

I drew it all out on the bench, so I knew where the Y piece would start and the edge of the bench signifying the radiator, so I knew my space restraints.

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the two 3" intake pipes welded together it was time to join them into the 4" pipe.

The pipes are welded into place now, but there's a bit of a gap here.

Posted Image

I just cut a small V out of the 4" pipe, knocked it down and welded it all together.

Posted Image

Here it is having a trial fit.

Posted Image

It came up OK after a bit of a sand with a 36 disc on the grinder. I'll get it better once it's finished. This was all I could be bothered doing this arvo : )

Posted Image

I then added the next bend on each side, then tacked the 90 degree bend on the drivers side that will see the intake pass through the inner guard, with the filter underneath. I'll get the other side to this stage tomorrow, then make some supports for the intake that will bolt to the motor, then I'll hole saw out the bits I need. Doing that last will ensure they're in the right place.

Posted Image

I like this pic. The intake looks weird, but I dig it : ) It looks like an old school moustache.

Posted Image

Well, love it or hate it, I like it, and there's no notches or small bits added in, so this WILL work : ) hehehe.

#609 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

It looks good! :rockon: (as always)

Mick.

#610 _lcv871_

_lcv871_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

nice looks good

#611 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

one of my brothers is a musician and a douchebag, the other plays sport an is a meathead. i want a new brother.

looks F***** beautiful mate, dont let him forget who did it.

#612 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

Looking good as always Tim, hope it didn't get too wet on the way to the exhaust shop! did you have time to cover the dash with something to stop water getting into it? by the way..i wish i was one of those clever kents that found the wheel pics on your photobucket account hahah DOH.. next time i shall be more vigilant. :furious:

#613 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

Thanks guys.

Nic, I'm still laughing at your post. hahahaha. Love it : )

Aido, yes I had to cover the dash with a drop sheet. It's not in the first pic because it only just started raining and it's not on in the second pic because it rained so hard on the way to the shop it made a pool of water on top of the dash, just under where the bottom of the windscreen sits. We had to grab the sides and tip it out before it leaked out into the car. Bl00dy rain!! : )

Here's a little vid with the pipes on.

Edited by dirtbag, 14 April 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#614 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hi Tim, just an observation,
If you have the intake pass through the inner guard, with the filter underneath, will this cause an issue with the water and dirt/mud coming off the wheel and onto the filter??? other than that it looks fantastic.

Cheers Paul.

#615 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

That picture of it on the trailer that you like looks tuff! cant wait to see some colour on it and exhaust sounds good too

Ben

#616 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:17 AM

Hey Paul, yes you're right there is the possibility of that being an issue. I've sort of figured out some plastic shrouds in my head that will stop anything from the tyres hitting the filters, and should be fairly simple to make as well.

Plus, I'm hoping he doesn't do too much rally packing in it anyway : )

Thanks Ben. I can't wait to see colour on it either. I just wish he'd let me paint the whole thing black. With the new chrome and shiny wheels etc it would look awesome. Oh well, if I want a black one I'll just have to build myself one : )

#617 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

That looks bloody sweet!!!

You're an Arteeeest!

#618 _NVS_084_

_NVS_084_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

Best Uc ever man, this is a frOcking insane build. Wish i had the money+skills too do something like this.
Loving it man, I havnt read the rest of the thread yet but what colour are you going ?

#619 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

No worries Tim, I knew you would be on top of things, just bringing it to your attention.

Cheers mate, keep up the good work. :spoton:

#620 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

Hi dirtbag, I can't help myself checking this thread every few hours for updates. You've made me obsessed! I hope you don't mind me being a copycat, but I'm going to do a similar nosejob on my UC hatch. I'll keep the LX blinkers because I have an idea how I can work around the stone tray seam. Not to say I don't like the round ones you made, I think they're cool. Anyhoo, I was going to wait till the build was finished and then hit you with my questions, but by then there would be to many at once. How can it pass rego with 10inch wheels under the bum? Are you putting smaller ones on? I thought 8inch was the max legal in QLD. Also, are you likely to have dramas with the DOT inspectors regarding the welding on the front chassis rails? (when you smoothed the engine bay). Oh, and one more thing. Where can I get that kick-a$$ droptank from?

#621 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:00 PM

I thought of something else. How low is the front stone tray? I've never had a torana with a front spoiler, but my other car is an XR6 Turbo and it's spoiler needs to be repaired every year because of all the speed bumps ( bloody council ) and those stupid concrete blocks that they put in shopping centre car parks..... You know the ones :( It was just a thought I had...... Anyway, keep up the awesomness :)

#622 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

Nice job on the intake, looks neat.

#623 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hi Kush. Feel free to ask questions any time. I've asked people on this forum plenty of things and found everyone friendly and helpful, so I don't want to change that. As for copying the front end, go for it. Easier than making LX guards fit on the UC engine bay.

As for the wheels, I think even 8 inch would be pushing it. My mod plate guy has already stated that he has no problem passing this car with the wheels on it as there is no mod plate code for wheels, so they've got nothing to do with him. It's a chance you take though in regards to police interest once the car is out and about. I've had two torana sedans both with 8 and 10 inch hotwires and never had a drama. I assume a lot of it has to do with how you behave on the roads too.

As for the chassis rails, again, I ran it past my mod plate guy and told him how I was doing it and he said it was fine. Plus, the chassis number is still visible on the drivers side rail.

I'll have to ask my brother where he got the tank from. Or maybe he'll answer that question in the thread. Hey brother, where did you get the tank from????

The front stone tray is 60mm lower than standard. I cut the bottom of the guards and stone tray off and added 60mm. If you want it higher, either don't lower the car as much, or don't add as much metal to the spoiler.

Hope that helps. Post your build up here, I'm sure we'd all like to see another one get done.

Cheers.

#624 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

I did some more work on the new air intake today.

I added the bend to the passengers side and then cut the holes in the inner guards where the pipes will run through.

I also added a brace to support the intake and hold it in position a bit better. I just used some 13mm RHS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Where the pipes run through the guards is a bit ugly, so I bought this piece of thick walled alloy pipe to fix the problem.

I'll cut this piece in half to do both sides.

Posted Image

After a bit of mucking on the lathe I had these collars with a polished lip on the top.

Posted Image

I think this neatens up the hole nicely. Even though the hole was cut with a hole saw, it still looked daggy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've ordered some smallish K&N filters to mount under the guard. They're fairly small, but flow over 600cfm each, so will do the job nicely. I hope they show up tomorrow.

Posted Image

Here's the monstrosity after it copped a bit of a sand down where the welds were.

Posted Image

The other small hole in the guard is where the filler for the windscreen washer bottle will come through.

Posted Image

The pipe is a neat fit in the alloy collar. It's amazing how little the motor moves when it's running and revving. The motor tries to rotate more than it tries to move sideways, so I'm confident there'll be enough clearance here.

Posted Image

It looks big, but I quite like it because it looks big. It's something a little different anyway.

Posted Image

It doesn't look like much, but that pretty much took care of today.

I'll start smoothing out the engine covers tomorrow and maybe start pulling it to bits again.

Here's another quick vid. It's running a bit better now without the MAF sensor on it, as it's now programmed to run MAFless.

[url="]

Edited by dirtbag, 15 April 2010 - 05:15 PM.

#625 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

Looking good Tim, the alloy collars are a nice touch.

Also I think ya brother wants to see a skid :burnout: , or is that just me??

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users