* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#626 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

I am sure I heard him say the same thing, do a big skid like your finished with the car and wont see it again

#627 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

Interesting intake pipe, Personally I reakon 2 pod filters just behind the headlights woulda looked cool but that still looks sweet :D There is no issue with the pipes hitting the alloy collers when the engine Torques over is there?

Cant wait to see more progress :D

#628 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

Are you going to have any rubber to stock it knocking about? Not sure if it will make much noise, but it might be annoying everytime to punch the go-peddle if it knocks.

Wouldnt need much to stop it doing that.

#629 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, wow. Nice work. That looks and sounds fantastic. Ha we were having a bitch the other day about how some people think blue silicone hose is awesome. Oh well, each to their own.

Can't wait to see what you do next with this.

#630 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

Doing a skid would be fun. Pity it doesn't have a tailshaft or clutch : )

I gave the car some revs today and the motor didn't move at all, but I assume under load it will move a fair bit. I have some rubber strap to glue inside the collars just in case.

Clint, the pod filters behind the headlights would have been a lot easier too, but brother didn't want it sucking in hot engine bay air. Either way, it was fun making the intake : )

I don't have anything against the silicon hose really, it's just that this car will probably be a colour not suited to blue bits.

#631 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

Today was one of those days where you're busy, but looks like you achieved nothing.

Well I got the B pillar vents prepped for primer, after the brake fluid did it's thing and removed all the old paint.

The new K&N filters today as well. They're nice and compact but like all K&N filters they still have good flow.

Posted Image

I'll make a shroud around the filters to protect them from flying gunk from the tyres.

Posted Image

Not sure if it's noticeable, but I took a pic anyway. I spent some time today fine tuning the position of the intake pipes. I had to change the passengers side pipe a bit, as it was a bit low, and now it lines up with the collar through the guard better as well. I measured both sides from the chassis rail, now they're exactly the same. Well, the same from the chassis rail anyway. These old cars tend to be a bit all over the place : )

Posted Image

I also did the bog work on the engine covers. This shows the new shroud that covers the brake lines into the master cylinder.

Posted Image

This used to be a big gap next to the booster, now it follows its shape much better.

Posted Image

So now the engine covers, intake pipe and B pillar vents are all ready for primer. I was hoping to do that today but it's been raining on and off. I'll see how tomorrow looks.

Posted Image

Next week I'll start tearing it apart again and get back into the bodywork/paint prep. Goodie : )

#632 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

Today was one of those days where you're busy, but looks like you achieved nothing.

Well I got the B pillar vents prepped for primer, after the brake fluid did it's thing and removed all the old paint.

The new K&N filters today as well. They're nice and compact but like all K&N filters they still have good flow.

Posted Image

I'll make a shroud around the filters to protect them from flying gunk from the tyres.

Posted Image

Not sure if it's noticeable, but I took a pic anyway. I spent some time today fine tuning the position of the intake pipes. I had to change the passengers side pipe a bit, as it was a bit low, and now it lines up with the collar through the guard better as well. I measured both sides from the chassis rail, now they're exactly the same. Well, the same from the chassis rail anyway. These old cars tend to be a bit all over the place : )

Posted Image

I also did the bog work on the engine covers. This shows the new shroud that covers the brake lines into the master cylinder.

Posted Image

This used to be a big gap next to the booster, now it follows its shape much better.

Posted Image

So now the engine covers, intake pipe and B pillar vents are all ready for primer. I was hoping to do that today but it's been raining on and off. I'll see how tomorrow looks.

Posted Image

Next week I'll start tearing it apart again and get back into the bodywork/paint prep. Goodie : )

#633 _sjohnst7_

_sjohnst7_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hi all,

the drop tank is from ripitup on the Gold Coast (ripitup.net.au)

#634 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hello brother : )

#635 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

Is Simon your brother dirtbag, does he own the UC/LH hatch project?

#636 _DomDom_

_DomDom_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

Well well. The prodigal brother appears.

G'Day.

DomPosted Image

#637 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

Yes, Simon is my brother, and the lucky bugger who owns this car : )

Having said that, he's also the poor bugger paying for everything : (

#638 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:33 PM

Man your good with the tools! I wish i had some metal work skills like that :(

The car is looking great and has come a long way already! cant wait to see more!!

#639 _sjohnst7_

_sjohnst7_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

Hiya
Yep I am the owner. That's great except I want it NOW! haha

#640 _nlx454_

_nlx454_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

great job best thing that could happen to a uc
just one thing have you tried fitting the bonnet with the wiper motor now that you welded the hole in the bonnet

#641 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

He only welded it on one side, didn't he?

#642 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

The bonnet has had both of the holes at the rear welded up, however the one on the wiper motor side isn't flat. I shaped it into a bit of a "bowl" before welding it in. I think it's in this thread somewhere?

I found a pic that sort of shows it anyway.

Posted Image

#643 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hi all,

the drop tank is from ripitup on the Gold Coast (ripitup.net.au)

thanks Simon, I imagine that they aren't cheap but I'm going to get one anyway.

#644 _darkone040_

_darkone040_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

it would be bad if you left the air filters off.. you would suck up small cats, dogs and other wildlife into the engine..
driving along, swerve to hit a cat and you hear this 'thonk' sound.. rofl..
awesome work here i love reading this thread.

#645 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

^ LOL at "swerve to hit a cat". :spit:

Awesome work Dirtbag, as has been said by others, I check this thread on a regular basis as well.

#646 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

Adrian, what can I say??? I think that is possibly the best/funniest post so far. I love it : ) lmao :spoton:

#647 _FR Drew_

_FR Drew_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

dirtbag and stjohn, saw a current model hatchback yesterday in a colour you may be interested in. Will discuss further with stjohn...

#648 _sjohnst7_

_sjohnst7_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

FR Drew, I am pretty sure I am not a saint - haha.

#649 _eh-buddy_

_eh-buddy_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

the best thing about the airfilters in that spot is ...they will suck up more crack then the polly's will in canberra

#650 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

The intake gets the official central coast, orange LJ torana owner seal of approval. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users