* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#676 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

starting to look all in place now good stuff, did i miss something or have you not picked a colour yet Posted Image

#677 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

He already picked black. He just has to convince the owner now, lmao!

#678 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

dirtbag, mate you are doing very nice work there, i dont know if anything as been mentioned or i have missed something, but what is the plan to be able to pull the front crossmember from the chasis, now that you have welded up the holes??? if i am been a dick it just meens i no nothing of there models.

cheers gong.

Edited by BATHURST-32D, 21 April 2010 - 04:26 PM.

#679 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Comin along fantastic Dirtbag ! I'm a fan of the straps on the tank too. Oh paint the car black with chrome bumpers. Nuff said Posted Image

#680 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

those engine covers look 1000x better now without the holes, well done!

#681 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

This car is looking absolutely horn. Did you say something about your brother wanting it green with blackouts or something? Fair enough. But black by itself would be the ducks guts!

Interesting to know that about the resistive wire to the heater fan motor. I wasn't aware of that.

#682 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

dirtbag, mate you are doing very nice work there, i dont know if anything as been mentioned or i have missed something, but what is the plan to be able to pull the front crossmember from the chasis, now that you have welded up the holes??? if i am been a dick it just meens i no nothing of there models.

cheers gong.

i was wondering the same thing gong so we both might get shot down on this one Posted Image

Comin along fantastic Dirtbag ! I'm a fan of the straps on the tank too. Oh paint the car black with chrome bumpers. Nuff said Posted Image

Posted Image on the colour too, my last LX was all black with nice shinny bars, but this time if i went all black i would want A/C, lucky for Dirtbag's brother he wil have it Posted Image

This car is looking absolutely horn. Did you say something about your brother wanting it green with blackouts or something? Fair enough. But black by itself would be the ducks guts!

Interesting to know that about the resistive wire to the heater fan motor. I wasn't aware of that.

i think thats about 3 of us now that didnt know about the wire !!Posted Image i wonder how many more there might be Posted Image

Edited by nial8r, 21 April 2010 - 06:57 PM.

#683 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

cheers gong.

i was wondering the same thing gong so we both might get shot down on this one Posted Image

I can't find the quote at present but I'm pretty sure he said there are cutouts in the side now to get at them

#684 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

cheers for that,76lxhatch.

gong

#685 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hi Obey1. To have the rails smooth and still remove the K frame you just need to cut holes or slots into the side of the chassis in the wheel well, that way they're out of sight. A cover panel over the top doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary.

This should answer your question fellas. About page 2 or 3 of the topic.

Cheers,

T

#686 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:02 AM

gee i read all of these 28 pages, so i missed it,or by the time i got to the end i had forgot.
old age setting in, thanks t

cheers gong

#687 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

Well the last couple of days I've been a bit under the weather, so haven't done a lot.

Today I redid the wiring on the heater motor, to replace the heatshrink with a piece of heatproof fibreglass sleeve.

I had to pull the old plug apart to be able to slide the new sleeve on.

Posted Image

I had to unpick the terminal off the wire so the new sleeve would fit over.

Here it is now all done. I haven't coiled the wire around like it was before, as the only time it will have power to it, there will be a big barrel fan blowing air right onto it.

Posted Image

I also refitted the intake pipe now it's a matching shade of grey. It looks good in my opinion, but maybe I'm just a bit biased?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#688 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

The amount of work and detail that has gone into this is mind blowing!

#689 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

Thanks Michael. That explains why I've lost my mind : )

#690 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

nah mate your right it does look good

#691 _eh-buddy_

_eh-buddy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

im loving the grey colour coding tim definatly different

#692 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

How much heat will the intake pipes hold?

#693 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

I doubt heat will be a significant factor with the current design. You could ceramic coat the outside of the pipes in silver or black.

#694 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

Wouldnt he have to remove the primer to ceramic coat them? Maybe he should just paint them gloss black to match the car...hint hint

#695 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:20 AM

havent seen this thread in a while, its still looking awesome. even in primer it has huge wow. awesome work

#696 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

i dont think the air intake's will hold much heat, but will be interesting to see.... its come up a treat thats for sure Posted Image

#697 _BlownUC202_

_BlownUC202_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

Hi Dirtbag
Firstly thanks for the topic it motorvates me to work on my uc. I like the idea of tidying up the bonnet and engine bay, ive started doing the same on mine.
One thing i noticed is that you covered the holes for the k frame mounting nuts, just a thought if the unfortunate happened and your brother hit a curb dammaging the k frame or the bushes wear and it needs removing i would hate to see you have to cut into the nicely painted engine bay to get to the nuts.
I also thought of a solution i think if you did the same as you have with where the intakes go through with the alloy tube it would look good as well as be practical.

Just a thought i had i hope it helps. cheers.

#698 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hi Jason. Glad you're enjoying the thread. If you want some other hatch inspiration check out black dice. Very tasty.

As for the K frame bolts, this seems to come up a bit. The holes are welded up, yes, and are now in the sides of the chassis rail, in the wheel well, totally out of sight but still easily accessible. I hope this helps.

Cheers.

#699 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:49 AM

Hi Jason. Glad you're enjoying the thread. If you want some other hatch inspiration check out black dice. Very tasty.

Cheers.

Dear Mr Dirt

Having seen how good Black Dice's hatch is, the photos just do not do it justice, the detail and the quality, I am very sorry to have to inform you Mr Dirt but you have been demoted to to having built the second best Hatch on the forums

Kind regards

cruiza
offical self appointed mod

#700 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

Posted Image no offence Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users