UCANG

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Name:Ang
  • Car:UC Hatch, UC Sedan, VL Turbo, ForFour Brabus, 2010 Fatboy

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hahaha that's hilarious.. I was thinking "are those what he has been hiding from us all this time?"

But, still nice wheels never the less. :)

#727 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

Great progress Dirtbag, you sure are close to topcoat now !
What brand/product is the green filler you have been using ?
Cheers,
Dougal

#728 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

Ima take a wild guess and say Evacote Maxim Gold....

See how far off i am :P

#729 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

keeping very tight lipped about the colour. its white isnt it

#730 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

nah, its getting painted black... right :P.

#731 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

green. lmao

#732 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

right every one take a stab at what it is gunna be painted and the winner gets first drive. ill say red

#733 _bradman_

_bradman_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

PINK with black outs

#734 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

New Holden colour Poison Ivy ?

#735 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

I don't care as long as its not blue

Edited by niterida, 03 May 2010 - 12:38 AM.

#736 _sjohnst7_

_sjohnst7_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:39 AM

How about silver with grey-outs

#737 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

purple with pink and green spots and silver pinstriping....

#738 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

purple with pink and green spots and silver pinstriping....

Yes Yes Yes!!

#739 _Torrie_Man_

_Torrie_Man_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

:cry: Whats wrong with blue? I say paint it Ultra Blue!

#740 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Posted Image Whats wrong with blue? I say paint it Ultra Blue!

blue is actually my favourite colour but for some reason I just don't like blue cars.

I'd go for a deep red - not too dark but just enough to make it different to all the other red torries out there.

#741 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

OK, the great debate is going nicely as to the colour : )

Johnno, I think your car looks great blue. I can say, with 100% conviction, that this hatch either will, or wont, be blue. That's the truth : )

orangelj, all I can say is - Genius :bowdown: I would love to see a car painted like that : )

As for my opinion, I'm with jabba. I think black would be the bees knees, but it's not up to me. Rest assured though, it wont be mission brown : )

Hi Dougal. The filler I use is called Evercoat Rage Gold. It's dearer than Daytona and other cheaper brands, but is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much better.

Today I decided it was time to touch up the stoneguard, as it got a few marks in it from being worked on. I'm going to blame the exhaust shop, as I'm just too amazing to do anything like that : )hahaha.

The masking is a pain though.

At least this gunk is very easy to paint and touch up. For the hour of masking it took 5 minutes to paint, as is always the case with painting.

With the sill redone and all the panels and jams sanded it was time to mask the rest of the bits I wanted not grey.

A bit more masking.

I also covered the dash, except for the top section that needs priming.

With the surface being sanded so smooth, the next lot of primer went on very nicely indeed.

It's the first time ever that this part of the car has all been one colour. It's getting so close now.

All the sanding in the door jams paid off, as they came up a treat. It's nice to see the horrible black sills gone too. I really hate that. Makes the car look like a 4x4.

It's bum is nice and straight now too.

The hours in the engine bay are paying off now. I think it's pretty flash : )

The master cylinder, headlight buckets, removeable radiator support bar and engine covers also got a few coats of primer.

I'm really happy with how the dash looks now. It actually looks like part of the car now. It was a lot of work, but worth it for the end product.

Tomorrow is wet sanding. Goodie.......NOT!!

Anyone want to come over and give us a hand?

Anyone?

#742 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

Thanks Dirtbag, I've found some of the common brands from Repco etc are not as good to work with as the proper stuff from a paint shop.

I'll help with wet sanding.......If you shout me the plane ticket! :P

#743 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hi dirtbag, I've noticed that you're a fan of sikaflex. So am I, I fixes most of my boo boos. I want to use it on my torrie similar to where you've used it. But I'm concerned that it might cause the paint to crack if the sikaflex distorts. Do I have nothing to worry about? Or is there a product out there that sets rigid and won't shrink? Thanks :)

#744 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

Looks awesome Dirtbag. This car is one hell of a sculpture! I think your brother should bring it to melbourne when its finished.

#745 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

Hey Kush. Where abouts are you thinking of using sikaflex?

#746 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

Dirtbag, I want to use it under the bonnet to fill the gaps under the bracing. Also, this may not seen popular among most people, but I'm going to fill bolt holes in my flares for a smooth look, but I don't want the rubber strip that goes between the flare and panel. Would sikaflex do the trick? Or is there something more suitable to use? Thanks

#747 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

Hi Kush. As long as the areas under the bonnet are clean and keyed (roughed up/sanded) there should be no problems. Well I've never had any problems doing that before.

As for the flares, I wouldn't go anywhere near them with sikaflex. The first torana I ever had I smoothed all the door handles off and also the flares, bonnet scoop and removed the boot lock from the rear spoiler. It was all done with fibreglass though.

To do the flares I bough some normal bolts, not allen key, and roughed the heads up with a sanding disc on the grinder. I also roughed up inside the rebate where the flare bolts go. I then put the bolts through the holes in the flares and put the nuts on so they were all tight, then used fibreglass and resin to lock the bolts into place and to fill the rebate. Once it was dry they were rock solid. To fit the flares back on I just had to elongate a couple of holes in the body, push the flares on and just spin on the nuts. I'd never seen it done on a torana at that stage so I thought it was a bit different. I actually got the idea from a friend who had a VC commodore with Brock style flares on it.

Here's a couple of old pics of it. I ran the rubber between the flare and the body. It's just personal preference.

Posted Image

These pics were taken in 1995. Man I feel old : )

Edited by dirtbag, 04 May 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#748 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

Well today was so much fun I can't even put it into words. Got a fair bit of the mega yuck work done though. Well, on the shell anyway, there's still all the bolt on bits to do as well.

We got more than half the car blocked down to super smooth. There were still a couple of annoying things that weren't spot on so they were all fixed and re primed. The rest of the blocking down will get finished tomorrow.

The whole drivers side is wet sanded now. Including the jams and engine bay. You can sort of see how smooth it is now by the reflections on the roof.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The whole rear end got sanded down as well. The jams and engine bay are the worst bits, as they're so fiddly.

Posted Image

Again, the sunshine coast lived up to its name.....NOT!

Posted Image

The jam for the hatch needed a bit more work, as it had a couple of rough spots. Very minor, but when it's all so smooth, it shows up everything. These problems and others were fixed and reprimed today, so it can all get sanded out tomorrow.

Posted Image

The dash needed a little bit more work too, but it's all sorted now.

Posted Image

There was also a couple of marks along the top of the left sill and at the rear of the left roof gutter. These areas were also fixed and reprimed.

Posted Image

After some primer.

Posted Image

The dash top got re primed after having a bit more work done, and the A pillars were prepped and primed as well. These will be getting painted black.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the hatch jam after getting reprimed.

Posted Image

It's all starting to look really good now. It's going to be weird not painting this car myself, as it will be the first car I've built and not painted. It will be nice to relieve myself of some work though.

The A/C scored itself a new TX valve today. Just to be sure. It's the gold thing with the little probe coming out of it. No, not that sort of probe : )

Posted Image

#749 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

Thanks dirtbag for your info on your smoothed out flares. Very helpful, I'll go down that road, I think :)

#750 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

"The dash top got re primed after having a bit more work done, and the A pillars were prepped and primed as well. These will be getting painted black."

With those words, im guessing its not going to be black.

Although it would be easy for him to accidently just spray the whole car black, lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users