Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#751 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

Good stuff. Gotta love sanding!

Seeing as your hilux keeps popping up here and there, have you got many underbonnet sort of photos of it? You mentioned its running a 253 and that got my interest.

Cheers

#752 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hey Michael, well spotted. Unfortunately, even with my constant nagging, my brother wont let me paint the whole car black : ( Such a shame. It'll look good anyway, but black is just soooo good : )

Well today was a busy day, and a good day too.

Got all the wet sanding done on the shell. Finally : )

And it saw the sun for the first time in a very long time.

I pushed it outside so I could give it a wash after sanding. The sludge turns to concrete if it's left on for too long.

The good thing about having all the surfaces sanded smooth is I can put a thin coat of water on it and see how straight it is or isn't. Luckily in this case it looks pretty good to me : )

Make sure there's as little amount of water on there, as it will fill small imperfections.

I even used the same trick on the engine covers to see that the area where the oil filler hole used to be was dead flat.

All the flares are now sanded and ready for paint.

I also sanded the headlight buckets, headlight mounts, wiper motor and cover, brake booster, removable radiator support bar, heater box (not in photo) and B pillar vents. These are now all ready for top coat.

Here's the engine covers after a wash from sanding.

The intake pipe had a bit of filler work done to smooth it out.

It's now ready for it's final coats of primer.

Here's the shell after having a wash. I'm very happy with how it's come up.

I can't wait to see this with shiny colour on it. Not long now!!!

Tomorrow, more sanding. Still have the doors, front guards, hatch, front spoiler........... : (

#753 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

Hi mick74lh. Here's a pic of the engine bay. It's a mess, but I don't mind.

I new the engine bay would be full of crap as I was always going to keep the A/C and P/S etc, so I just tried to make it look like a factory install. I even went to the trouble (Don't know why???) of cutting the guts out of the bottom of an old standard 2 barrel air cleaner and welded the base of an old chrome 4 barrel air cleaner into it, so it looked super poverty pack : ) I also cut 6 x 35mm holes out the back of the air cleaner so it could breath other than through the tiny snorkel.

It's a good little work ute though, and it's a 5 speed. V8 manuals are always fun : )

Posted Image

#754 _darkone040_

_darkone040_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

now thats a mirror finish, and it doesnt have colour on it yet.. cant wait for the colour to go on will be awesome.

Edited by darkone040, 05 May 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#755 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

Great work as always I am most impressed at how motivated you must be to be working so fast, looking forward to seeing some colour, red cars go faster especially if the bumpers are painted too lol

#756 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thanks Adrian. I can't wait for colour either. I'm a bit sick of it looking like nothings changed for the last 6 months : )

Cruiza, you're awesome man :bowdown:

I love your conviction. It may or may not be red, and the bumpers will either be painted or not. Is that good enough? haha.

#757 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

Nice work!

But I think you missed a bit... :tease:

#758 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

Ahhhhhh such a shame a job of this calibre won't see black paint Posted Image Since ya goin another colour just throw the same colour on the bumpers as well.
Top work anyhoo dirtbag !!!!!

#759 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Pity its not going black, i was hoping that you'd be able to convince him. Oh weel, just means that now you'll have to build yourself a black one!

#760 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

black is overrated. (flame suit on)

#761 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

And you can't see the blackouts, if it's black. It just wouldn't be a torana without a black bonnet! ( ooh, I can feel the daggers already ) :)

#762 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

Be staunch tim! don't give in to the color coded bumper bar weirdo's! er..i mean people and stay away from red! i hear that's a color for lady's.. :lol:

#763 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

Be staunch tim! don't give in to the color coded bumper bar weirdo's! er..i mean people and stay away from red! i hear that's a color for lady's.. :lol:

hmmmmmmmm sharpens daggers and takes aim...lol

#764 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

gezz eveytime i check your build out it blows me away Posted Image you sure are doing some quality work and the engine bay is perfect, i really love the smooth look as that is what im trying to achive with my LXPosted Image i cant wait to see it all coloured in with some nice shiny smooth chrome bars on it, also would you be able to tell me where you picked up your tranny shifter from as i have just finished my tunnel mod to fit a T5 in there and would like to be able to move the shifter stick forward abit as you know they sit a fair way back and to get it to sit that couple of inch's forward would be perfect, i have done a few searches on the B&M site and evilbay but have had no luck Posted Image anyways this is what im after, i thought i would get fancy and post this pic of the one you have for your 6 speed Posted Image

Posted Image

thx in advance

#765 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

Thanks Aido. Much to Michaels disgust the bumpers will indeed be chrome, as that's what classic cars have : )

Now I'm feeling the daggers :surrenderwave:

Lee, the shifter I got for this car is a B&M Ripper shifter. I got it from a friend of mine. I think he bought it from Rocket Industries.

It would be fairly easy to make a stick with the bends in it, without going to an aftermarket shifter, if they're hard to track down.

Well today the car finally went to the paint shop. It's very weird not painting it myself. This is the first car I haven't painted myself, but I do like to be able to get it out of the shed for a while : ) I took all the other bits and pieces that were ready down too, so there's actually a little bit of room to move in the shed now.

Posted Image

The bonnet scoop is now ready for top coat too.

Posted Image

I dragged one of the doors out, as they've been lying around the place for a while now. This one only needed a tiny bit of fiddling and a sand down with some 240 dry and the outer side was ready for its last coats of primer. Yay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The cowl panel and inside of the left front guard getting a coat or 6 of primer too.

Posted Image

Then the outside of the guard got a spray.

Posted Image

Once the cowl panel was touch dry I brought the intake pipe over for a spray as well.

Posted Image

The right hand front guard is now ready for it's final batch of primer now.

Posted Image

It's good having the shell gone, as now I can spread crap all over the place : )

Posted Image

The intake manifold is slowly getting smoother. 4 intake runners are now sanded smooth, 4 more to go.

Posted Image

Obviously none of these photos are particularly interesting, but I felt like posting them anyway. Soon there should be some shiny bits : )

#766 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

Soon there should be some shiny bits : )

Shiny RED bits ???

#767 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

Nice conversion in the Hilux. Yeah, with the baby V8 and manual box I reckon that would be heaps of fun to drive around. Awesome.

Loving the smooth panels on the Torana. They look ace.

I'm guessing the car's getting painted in 2pac is it? Although acrylic would still look groovy smooth after its all blocked back.

#768 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

Yes, it's all going to be done in 2pac. The etch primer and primer filler I used are 2pac as well. Having said that, most of the cars I've done for myself were done with acrylic and they all turned out really well. Cheap too.

Here's an old HZ kingswood I did a while back. Cost $330 to paint in acrylic. Yes, I am a tight ass : )

Posted Image

#769 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

Damn that HZ paint looks nice, apart from being pink, Hope mine turns out that well!

#770 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

thx for that Tim, i was thinking of fabing a shifter neck up so that i can move it forward a bit, might have to add it to the jobs to do list Posted Image

#771 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

Thanks Josh. I just thought the pink was funny : )

No worries Lee. Everyone needs a to do list : )

Kush, I was trying to find a half decent pic of my old car the other day to show you the flares, but I couldn't find any good ones. Well I found a better one that shows the smooth flares a bit better. It also had hidden scoop bolts, no boot lock and shaved door handles. Just for giggles.

Hope this helps.

Posted Image

#772 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

no door handles.... its like not having ears lol. *sigh* i want my torry back. this build is still givin me ideas for my mini tho! steel front spoiler FTW

#773 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

Yeah dirtbag, that car looks sweet. It's what I'm going for. Could I use fibreglass to blend the flares to the guards or would body filler be better? I don't think much of either would be needed. It's just so I could get away from using the rubber strips. Thanks and keep up the awesomness :)

#774 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

So do you not want the flares removable? If not, then use fibreglass to smooth them in, but make sure the metal is prepped perfectly or they'll crack/lift off the metal. Once they're bonded to the car with fibreglass (you could also use sikaflex to glue them on, then fibreglass over the top) use a bit of bog to get the finished result. It's hard to get fibreglass perfectly smooth.

#775 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

Thanks Josh. I just thought the pink was funny : )

No worries Lee. Everyone needs a to do list : )

Kush, I was trying to find a half decent pic of my old car the other day to show you the flares, but I couldn't find any good ones. Well I found a better one that shows the smooth flares a bit better. It also had hidden scoop bolts, no boot lock and shaved door handles. Just for giggles.

Hope this helps.

Posted Image

So you do know how good red cars are... shame you never got to finish the bumpers...:burnout:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)