* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#826 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

If you lived in Townsville, you could have mine for a while....... But then you would have to help me put my hatch together :)

#827 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:45 PM

How about you move down here and then I'll help you put your hatch together? : )

It's too stinking hot up there anyway. It's bad for you : )

#828 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

I am driving down from Rocky on Saturday and could deliver it for you if you wish. but need to get it from townsville to rocky.

Oh and your right Australia is too damm hot NZ much better lol

#829 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

That would be great, but I don't think Kush wants to actually part with his crossmember permanently, so getting it back to him would be a bit tricky : (

#830 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

Yeah, that's a bit of a bugger. It poxes me how parts for these cars can be so damn tricky to find. I can't even find an old "parts car" up here.

#831 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Yippee Yahoo Woot Woot.

I was talking to my Mum Yesterday and she finally told me i was adopted.
I have a brother who lives in Queensland and his name is Dirtbag.

Its so cool cause now he can help me finish my car..................so glad i have a brother like him.....Posted Image

#832 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

hahahaha Ian, nice one :spoton:

Seeing as you're my new brother, how about you come to my place with a front crossmember for me :nudie:

#833 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, that's a bit of a bugger. It poxes me how parts for these cars can be so damn tricky to find. I can't even find an old "parts car" up here.

Just been up the gold coast for the last 5 days, not a torana sighted anywhere.
Plenty of playboy crap like mercs, porche, ferrari, jag etc etc....nothing interesting!

Unlike here in Adelaide where I see 1 or 2 toranas basically every day on the way to work. All road worthy and well looked after. Unlike the plague of de-composing Hyundai death traps and smoking old magnas I also see.

#834 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

Do we have colour yet?

#835 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:10 PM

hahahaha Ian, nice one Posted Image

Seeing as you're my new brother, how about you come to my place with a front crossmember for me Posted Image

i have a wreckers here with atleast 6 torries,you come and pick me up and i will get you one bro...........lol

#836 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hey! While you're at the wreckers, can you just pick out a parts car for me? Just whack a postage stamp on it and send it right up here. I'll be very grateful. :)

#837 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Yeah theres 4 or 5 toranas at my local wrecker to, swap cross member for modified L98 sump?

#838 _eh-buddy_

_eh-buddy_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

tim wheres an update its been a few days im starting to get the shakes from not seeing it

#839 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

hehehehe, sorry Paul : )

It's still at the painters getting some finishing off done before the jams and bay get painted.

I've had some other stuff happening, so told him not to rush it at the moment.

Should see something shiny next week.

#840 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

Just stumbled across this pic. and it made me think of this thread

Posted Image

It looks like a morphed UC/LX Nosecone. With a camaro look headlight/grill.

I reckon it looks the goods!

wtf ?got any more info /pics of this car? wonder which country? the dudes driving it look asian.

#841 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

How come some people paint the door jams separately from the rest of the shell?

#842 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

It just comes down to the painters preference usually. With this car we're doing all the insides first, then assembling the car and painting the outside in one go. It's important with this car as the blackout needs to be masked perfectly from panel to panel so it's straight. This is the first car I've built that I haven't painted myself, so if that's how he wants to do it I'm happy to let him.
If it were a single colour paint job, and I were painting it I'd probably do the whole shell and jams at the same time like your gemini, which looks freakin awesome by the way : )

#843 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

wtf ?got any more info /pics of this car? wonder which country? the dudes driving it look asian

no more info or pics, but the car is from indonesia

#844 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:20 AM

I don't have any info as to what it is, but I do have a few more pics.

I think there's either two of them, or it's been painted a couple of times. The red one already posted has a different number plate to this one, plus this one has stripes on the bonnet, guard flutes and is a different colour. Either way, it's damn cool. Even with those ugly ass billet wheels.

Posted Image

Any ideas what the car is on the left in this next shot? 4 door HQ turned into a coupe??????? Not sure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by dirtbag, 24 May 2010 - 05:22 AM.

#845 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

It's important with this car as the blackout needs to be masked perfectly from panel to panel so it's straight.

I believe that any metallic colour or candy that varies in depth and hue needs to be applied across all panels at the same time too, doors etc on

#846 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:27 AM

Ahhk makes sense... to get the metallics to lay down evenly... Cheers Tim

#847 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Candies definitely need to be done across the whole car. My hilux is a candy metal flake and I did that all in one go, except for the tray.

Normal metallics can quite easily be done in bits, as long as whoever is painting it keeps track of the coats. Looks like the gemini coupe is being done separately, and shouldn't have any problems as it's a one step colour.

On a more fun note, the shiny metal bits came back from Thermal edge coatings today. Same product as competition coatings use only cheaper. Very happy with the result.

I got the extractors, bonnet hinges, door hinges, hatch hinges, bonnet catch, door catches and hatch catch coated.

Posted Image

They even knocked all the door hinges apart for me and did the pins and springs separately.

Posted Image

My daughter loved popping all the bubble wrap : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A big thanks has to go out to forum member L32M20 who drove all the way from Yatala down near the Gold Coast to drop off a front crossmember for me to borrow to do the mock up for the power steering set up. Mate, I can't thank you enough, and I hope I can repay the favour one day.

Posted Image

Edited by dirtbag, 24 May 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#848 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

Yay! I like shiny things...... Shiny is my favorite colour! :)

#849 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

did you get the front & rear bars done also ???

#850 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Which power steering rack are you planning to use?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users