Great work Tim Well done
your photoshop shop skills are getting better and better :P

#1103 _honda400_

_honda400_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

Is COB Clear over base?

isnt that still 2-pak?

COB does mean clear over base but with a COB color you have to put clear over it to make it shiny.
With a 2K color you don't have to put clear over it. But you can't get all colors in 2K, only the ones without metallic or pearls in it, witch is called a solid color.
Hope that makes things a bit clearer for ya.

Lee.

#1104 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

Nope...

So is COB acrylic?

But im confused cos with acrylic you dont have to put clear over a solid color either.

#1105 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

Nope...

So is COB acrylic?

But im confused cos with acrylic you dont have to put clear over a solid color either.

Hi Clint. What Lee said is correct. With 2k, it's a one step process. Paint the colour on and the job is finished, as it's got the required gloss straight off the gun. With clear over base, the base coat is applied like acrylic, it just gets thinned down and painted. There's no hardener. There's no nice gloss either, that comes from the clear over the top.

Does that help?

#1106 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

haha sorry still confused... is COB a separate system from Acrylic and 2-pak all together?

Cos like you can spray solid colors in acrylic with no clear, but you need to wetsand and polish to get a shine, but you can also do clear over basecoat with acrylic for when you do metallics but you still need to sand and polish...

2-pack is the same and do a solid in just color with no clear or for metallics you can do clear over basecoat but you dont have to sand and polish as you get a good gloss off the gun...

So is "COB" just a term your using to describe the clear over base technique?

Or is it still 2-pack its just that some colors are special and you cant just do the basecoat with no clear or they dont turn out right?

#1107 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

Wow that looks fantastic - and the work you're doing on the camaro is also bloody impressive.

Also this discussion about COB is confusing me. If you are doing a metallic paint job, regardless of whether you're using 2k or acrylic paint systems, don't you technically apply a clear coat over the non-shiny metallic base coat? So there is a choice between 2k and acrylic COB paint jobs? But then again, I've heard punters talk about COB as though its an acrylic only paint system. And 2k metallic paint jobs possess another magical made up name.

#1108 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

The clear coat in a COB system is a Polyurethaine Acrylic, which is a 2k.

Clear now??

Tim, i would attempt to mate with you after seeing those picks but not sure how you would take it.

Cheers.

#1109 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

My head hurts! Can someone please break it down into 'idiot' terms, so I understand this 2pack, acryllic and COB nonsense?

#1110 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Ok.

Acrylic is acrylic, its a single component paint (no hardener required) that doesnt actually dry. Very popular in the past. When sprayed in a solid color does not require clear, but if you spray a metallic, pearl or other pretty color you must put an Acrylic clear over it.n

2k is generally a Polyurethane modified Acrylic enamel, Chemically hardened, dries hard, excelent shine off the gun, etc etc, but generally does not contain metallic pigments, so only strait/solid colors.

COB is clear over base, where they put a 2k (Polyurethane modified Acrylic Enamel) CLEAR COAT over a suspended pigment (basically wax with color in it) BASE COAT. With COB you can do metallics, pearls, candies, and a whole lot of other really trick shit.

ANY QUESTIONS???

#1111 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Ok so I sprayed my Gem with 2-pak Cherry black, which was what I would call a base coat / clear coat system... (cherry black base coat with a clear coat) would this be classed as a COB?

Edited by Viper, 08 July 2010 - 10:05 PM.

#1112 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:00 AM

Ok so I sprayed my Gem with 2-pak Cherry black, which was what I would call a base coat / clear coat system... (cherry black base coat with a clear coat) would this be classed as a COB?

Yes. The cherry black was the base, that was then covered in clear. Any metallic/pearl 2pac paint job will be COB if it's been done properly.

Your gem looks horn too, by the way : )

#1113 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:13 AM

Thanks bomber, I get it now :)

#1114 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:39 AM

yea lol so the Term COB was just to confuse us noobs haha

Cheers Tim :D im still planning to come and live in your shed and just watch and learn

#1115 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

Nice explanation Bomber. That makes sense now. I usually don't give a crap about the exact terminology of car stuff but this sort of things important when you're buying paint.

#1116 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

WOW!!! I knew this Hatch was gonna be a headturner, from the start, the ideas, the fabrication,and now the finished product is near, great stuff!!! watching with interest, great work Tim.

#1117 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

Well today the hatch finally came back home.

I didn't actually do any work other than loading and unloading the car, but here's some pics of it coming to my place just for the sake of it : )

My father in law towed it for me with his GMC Sierra. He hardly even knew it was there. The 6.6litre Duramax turbo diesel V8 has a little bit of pull : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Like I said, there's not much to see, but I still like these pics : )

Posted Image

Turning into my street. not far now!!!

Posted Image

Home at last. Look how sweet that is. I love it. Yes, I'm talking about the oval window beetle hahahah : )

Posted Image

Finally! It's back in the shed. Unfortunately that means I have to get to work.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just need to get that black, orange and silver thing into the big orange and black thing : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll spend tomorrow doing bits and pieces on it, so hopefully there'll be something more to look at.

#1118 _DomDom_

_DomDom_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

Wow. that looks nice Tim and it's not even finished yet. Orange you glad its black in your garage?

Posted Image I know. I stole someones joke.

Dom

#1119 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

Orange you glad its black in your garage?

Posted Image I know. I stole someones joke.

Dom

Thats OK - I stole it from the Backyardigans kids show :-)

Tim - thats starting to look like a real car. The engine looks awesome and mean sitting on that stand. Will look even better in the bay.

Not so keen on the orange straps on the drop tank though - hopefully looks better once the orange bumpers are fitted up hehehehehe

#1120 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Awesome! Love it!

#1121 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

The orange straps will look better once the rubber is in behind them, giving them a black outline.

As for orange bumpers, I guess they might look orange if there's something orange next to it and it's reflecting in the CHROME : ) Ah, stuff it. The bumpers will be pink : )

#1122 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

The orange straps will look better once the rubber is in behind them, giving them a black outline.

True - at least I hope so.

As for orange bumpers, I guess they might look orange if there's something orange next to it and it's reflecting in the CHROME : ) Ah, stuff it. The bumpers will be pink : )

Well the car is orange so there will always be an orange reflection so you may as well paint them orange and save a few kilos in the process and make the car even faster. Although everyone knows orange cars are already faster.........................

#1123 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Classic cars have chrome bumpers. Honda CRXs have painted bumpers. The end Posted Image

#1124 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

Classic cars have chrome bumpers. Honda CRXs have painted bumpers. The end Posted Image

WHERE THE frOck DID THE LIKE BUTTON GO?????

Quote of the year.

Cheers.

#1125 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

:clappin: :clappin: :bowdown: :clappin: :bowdown: :clappin: :bowdown:
:iagree:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users