* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#1201 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

I've never been a fan of plastic engine covers, but that's come up quite nicely. Still not sure about the moustache, but its getting better as more parts are added to the engine bay

[font="""]Hopefully with out the harrop arms.[/font]

It would be a shame to compromise on the geometry after putting in the power steering conversion and all the other hard work on the car, why not just use the proper steering arms?

I'm not usually a huge fan of plastic anything, but have you seen a GenIII without the cover? Yuck!!!!!! : )

As for the moustache, well, air has to come from somewhere, and I have a strong disliking to pod filters in engine bays.

Just out of interest, what are "the proper" steering arms?

#1202 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

The engine bay looks cool IMO. Dirtbagatron prime :) neat and futuristic. God bless those plastic engine covers though. Would be dog ugly without them. (just the engine, not the bay)

#1203 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

I saw a Gen 3 with some covers made up to look a lot like traditional rocker covers, one of the best looking options I've seen, no pics unfortunately.

If it has HQ stub axles then A9X/Harrop steering arms would be (most) appropriate to attain minimal bump steer, unless you've changed other fundamental parts of the suspension geometry. Your plan to get your own made intrigues me too, with some accurate measurements you'd then have the opportunity to get the best all round compromise.

#1204 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

that looks f'ing amazing...i love the engine bay! absolutely top notch work! well done!!!!!!

#1205 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

wow, that looks amazing.

#1206 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:35 AM

getting close now....exciting

#1207 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

That engine bay is simply awesome.

as matt said 10/10 for skill, originality and pure workmanship.

#1208 _eh-buddy_

_eh-buddy_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

now thats all done tim what about the trim?

spray can black standard trim :) or all metal painted orange??

#1209 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Wow I can't believe you've done so much work on this car in such a short time. Nice engine bay hell yeah! How long did you spend with the wire wheel on that crossmember? I reckon you've honestly got like ten secret guys working on this car.

#1210 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Wow I can't believe you've done so much work on this car in such a short time. Nice engine bay hell yeah! How long did you spend with the wire wheel on that crossmember? I reckon you've honestly got like ten secret guys working on this car.

maybe he has a whole factory of guys helping him?

Attached File  oompa-loompa-costumes-01a.jpg   25.95K   11 downloads

#1211 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

hahaha thanks guys. I'd love a factory of oompa loompas hahaha. I wouldn't get much done though, I'd be too busy tormenting them : )

As for the trim, well it will be getting started next week. I even got my mum to iron the creases out of the new headlining to get the folds out. Yay mum : )

I did have a guy help me for 3 days this week, so that was a blessing. He works for me from time to time, but mainly I'm flying solo. I'm an asshole, so no one wants to be around me hahaha : )

Wire wheeling the crossmember took about and hour or so I guess, using a 5" grinder.

Kush ......... Dirtbagatron Prime ......... hahahahah. You're a classic. Keep posting, it always makes me laugh!!!!

#1212 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

just wish you would hurry up and finish so you can start mine BIG BROTHER

Edited by Waldorf, 23 July 2010 - 04:57 PM.

#1213 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hey Ian. No worries mate, i'll start yours as soon as it gets here. I'll do practically anything for money : ) I'm not that good a brother to do anything for free...... hehehe

#1214 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

Hey Ian. No worries mate, i'll start yours as soon as it gets here. I'll do practically anything for money : ) I'm not that good a brother to do anything for free...... hehehe

All good,i am a signwriter so you do my car and i will do you Pushies for the next 30yrs for free

#1215 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Heres the dirt on Torana steering arms

Hi Tim in answer to the questions on steering arm

LH and LX have the least droop and in your case least clearance
UC arms droop lower so better clearance which is in theory what you have given the car is a UC however given that the car has been been much modified and you have told me what a great job some of those mods are...
A9X arms have even more droop so tie rod end is lower again and setup the car for bump steer even better but should only be used in a A9X front end ie using HQ stub axles

Now to your brothers car as you are all to aware the power steering setup has completely changed the front end geometry so you will need get back in touch with the manufacturer of the power steer kit for recommendations on what arms to use

have fun oh love the bike riding pics next time I am down can I have a go?

#1216 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

Heres the dirt on Torana steering arms

Hi Tim in answer to the questions on steering arm

LH and LX have the least droop and in your case least clearance
UC arms droop lower so better clearance which is in theory what you have given the car is a UC however given that the car has been been much modified and you have told me what a great job some of those mods are...
A9X arms have even more droop so tie rod end is lower again and setup the car for bump steer even better but should only be used in a A9X front end ie using HQ stub axles

Now to your brothers car as you are all to aware the power steering setup has completely changed the front end geometry so you will need get back in touch with the manufacturer of the power steer kit for recommendations on what arms to use

have fun oh love the bike riding pics next time I am down can I have a go?

OK cruiza, now I'm confused. Seeing as I have done absolutely NO mods to the front end whatsoever, what are these mods I told you were so great?

#1217 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

I think what cruiza is saying is that the front end appears to have HQ brakes. You mentioned that some of the modifications done by the previous owner were dodgy so the brakes probably have not been done properly either.

There are a couple of ways that HQ brakes can be fitted. The most common method is to use HQ style stub axles like the A9X HZ one tonner stub axles. If you fit HQ stub axles then to do the job properly you should also fit the A9X steering arms to correct the bump steer caused by the HQ stub axle. The bump steer with the UC arms is not a bad as the LX arms but they are still not as good as the A9X arms.

Picture by dangerous.
Posted Image

More pictures here.
http://ls2lxhatch.com/suspension.htm

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 24 July 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#1218 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Correct^^^^

Not mods you did Tim but the mods the previous owner had done.

Without rereading the thread I was under the impression that the car had vented discs on the front from mods the previous owner had done, in which case there has been front end mods.

if you want a complete run down on what parts are used for what call me as I am not going to write ten pages here
but if you have vented disc you should most likely have HQ front stubs HQ to WB all the same, one tonners were hardened and what the A9X used
A9X steering arms
UC upper control arms
HQ front discs
and calipers with a bit machined out for clearance of tie rod, or my preference a caliper that is part Torana (PBR brand alloy bit) and part HQ (HQ-WB) PBR cast steel bit, bolts straight on no mods and has clearance

oh and I nearly forgot painted bumpers!

#1219 _sjohnst7_

_sjohnst7_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the front end info!
Where do the harrop (a9x style) arms come from?

#1220 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

Harrop?

#1221 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

http://www.harrop.com.au/index.html

#1222 _lxss5l_

_lxss5l_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

Re: To MRLXSS said(I forked out the $300 odd for the A9X steering arms. Drops the tie rod a lot further down) Matt that was great advice I didn't mean to sound like I was recomending the uc arms.I was just saying I think some one else had used them on this set up befor. Re: To 76lxhatch (It would be a shame to compromise, why not just use the proper steering arms?) You're absolutely right mate Posted Image . I did know that but I was a bit tired and holding a baby when I made that coment and half thinking of my own set up because I don't have hq stubs on my torana.

#1223 _lxss5l_

_lxss5l_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

And to Dirtbag I realy hope you can fix your photobucket account. You're making me panic Posted Image there's way to many valuable pics for me to losePosted Image .

#1224 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Ok just to be very clear

For the various setups there are different steering arms to be used

Now for the setup in this particular car we need to know what stub axles have been used and...

what the setup recommended by the maker of the power steer is.

From what I have seen of the power steer rack it is very different in location to standard rack, much better then standard rack in fact.

#1225 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

The axistr power steering rack is designed as a replacement for the factory rack. It uses the factory steering arms.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users