* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#1276 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

hey Paul its not being a Klutz mate its called having a go your self Posted Image and i beat there are plenty more stories from the member that could be told too yep and i would be one of them thats for sure Posted Image

Hi Tim i have just got up to speed with the Torana build and its looking a treat job well donePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image so how long before ya brother gets given the keys Posted Image

#1277 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

Just a tip - when/if you do the roof, get someone to give you a hand, the crap folded over me when I was trying to put it up, stuck to my hair and arms its bloody sticky shyt, maybe I'm just a klutz. :dontknow:

You can post whatever you like in here Paul : )

hehehe! Yup, anything you like. We've had funny looking little dogs, funny looking guys on mountain bikes, funny looking..... Errrm..... Volkswagens and this weird looking guy that is always giving the finger! It's the type of thread that has something for everyone. I think people who don't even like toranas would get a kick out of it. (yes, I can't believe there are people like that too. But if I ever meet one, I'll whip them with a green stick)

#1278 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

hey Paul its not being a Klutz mate its called having a go your self Posted Image and i beat there are plenty more stories from the member that could be told too yep and i would be one of them thats for sure Posted Image

Hi Tim i have just got up to speed with the Torana build and its looking a treat job well donePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image so how long before ya brother gets given the keys Posted Image

Yeah, thanks for the support Lee, but when you have this silver and black thing stuck to you, and you call out "sweet heart can you givus a hand", she comes in, instantly unable to help me because she is pissing her self laughing, it kinda falls into the klutz category. :blink2:

#1279 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com....=item3a5d608cfe

I've wasted more money than that on other things on my car...

$200 is a decent price i reckon for something that would make a huge difference! I might buy some when i get my tax back!

Matt, I've been through two boxes on mine, and recon I will need another half a box to finish the doors and rear quarters,
It will cost about $600.00 all up and will add about 25kg, not even worth worring about. :rockon:

Here are some pic's of the type Matt is talking about.

Posted Image

I notice in this pic that there are extra supports at the top of the wheel tubs. I assume to strengthen the top shock mount?

Well the UC doesn't have them. That explains why the new vinyl had a weird cutout there. Me so smart : )

Posted Image

#1280 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

The UC also appears to have struts rather than a Mop handle holding the hatch up :tease:

Cheers.

#1281 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

LOL... no seriously, I really did laugh out loud haha

#1282 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

hahaha. Up until 2 days ago the UC had a yellow fibreglass handled rake as a hatch support : )

Posted Image

#1283 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

Loving the progress photos. Its looking mint.

Dirtbag if your're scared of contact adhesive then that Dynamat stuff must be petrifying.

#1284 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:41 AM

hahaha Mick Posted Image

Actually, it was pretty good.

#1285 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

I hate it when the posts end Posted Image .......and soon it seems that this thread will Posted Image .......i'm so sad i dont know what to do as i save the new pages as my fav... i fear i may have to fly ova n trash the car so u can start the thread againPosted Image (evil dictator laugh inserted here)
Keep up the 'fan'tastic work Dirtbag !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1286 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

I'm glad you've been enjoying it LH8VD69. I do hope the thread ends soon, as that will mean my job here is done and I can start something else : )

Who knows, I might even find a torrie for myself one day and come back and annoy you all again hahaha.

I'd be happy to find an affordable hatch or a half decent 4 door and a pair of hatch doors. Anyone?????

#1287 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

if you were closer id have a decent 4 door for ya.

i could post it up piece by piece like a jigsaw puzzle

#1288 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

if you were closer id have a decent 4 door for ya.

i could post it up piece by piece like a jigsaw puzzle

He'd probably enjoy that more than buying a complete car Posted Image

#1289 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Posted Image

I notice in this pic that there are extra supports at the top of the wheel tubs. I assume to strengthen the top shock mount?

Well the UC doesn't have them. That explains why the new vinyl had a weird cutout there. Me so smart : )

Posted Image

Also Tim the UC has a rear parcel shelf (where you have the kiddie bolts) and the floor (where the carpet goes) in the boot area is higher than the LX.

Cheers

#1290 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

Hey dirtbag, I was casting an eye over my hatch this arvo and I noticed that I have those strut support thingos over my wheel arches. Maybe the previous owner took them off your car? does anyone know what the go is with them?

#1291 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

I think it's only the really super dooper unreal fantastic excellent wow amazing hatches that didn't have those extra supports, because they're so really super dooper unreal fantastic excellent wow amazing that they don't need them... hahaha.

Well spotted Paul, I didn't even notice that. But I am a total dumb arse : )

Vinny, I think you should just send it up to me anyway : )

#1292 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

I think it's only the really super dooper unreal fantastic excellent wow amazing hatches that didn't have those extra supports, because they're so really super dooper unreal fantastic excellent wow amazing that they don't need them... hahaha.

tim, you are a dumb ass! The really super dooper unreal fantastic excellent wow amazing ones you are talking about are just optional extras. All hatches radiate Awesomeness, and that's all that matters :)

Edited by Kush, 03 August 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#1293 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

Thats why the back seats fold foward to give you a massive storage area...so you can fit all the awesome in and still have room in the front to sit.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 03 August 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#1294 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

^^^ yes exactly. The owner of a hatch actually absorbs some of the Awesomeness and everyone you meet will know that you're awesome and the world becomes a better place.......... for the owner of the hatch that is, everyone else remains behind to suck massive arse :)

no offense intended for all you fans of those little pointy nosed torries....

Edited by Kush, 03 August 2010 - 07:05 PM.

#1295 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

The little pointy nosed Torry's contain more awesomeness in one wheel nut than a whole hatch, but thats another story...After all this is a hatch thread so i was being nice.

Cheers.

#1296 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Well I was meant to be working on the camaro, but for some reason I've been playing on this thing instead : ( Doing all the horrible fiddly jobs.

I dug the old arms rests out. They were originally brown and had a terrible black paint job, so they got cleaned to within an inch of their lives and painted with vinyl dye.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had the same problem with the mirror, pinch welds and sun visors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I masked and painted the fuel filler tunnel. Looks better than etch primer.

Posted Image

I love the fuel filler on this thing.

Posted Image

I even prepped and painted the rear number plate mount.

Posted Image

I stripped the vinyl and old window scraper rubbers off the drivers door then had the fun job of cleaning off the glue residue.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I had the awesome pleasure of fitting the new window scraper rubbers. Such a fun job that one : ) hahaha

Posted Image

I can't believe how much of a pain in the bum it was just to get the roof lining to this stage. I think I should stick to cutting and welding and leave trimming to people with brains : )

Posted Image

With a limited number of clamps and limited experience with this stuff I'm going to take my time with ths roof lining. I don't want to stuff it up.

I've started gluing though.

Posted Image

I also finished wrapping the B pillar trims around the metal and glued it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I refitted the front indicators too, mainly to make sure they were still working : ) I'll modify the lenses later.

Posted Image

New front and rear door trims arrived. Very nice indeed.

Posted Image

I love my spare room. Here's my new dog, my amp and one of my guitars and some torana bits, all in a 2 metre radius : )

Posted Image

More tomorrow.

#1297 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

New front and rear door trims arrived. Very nice indeed.

Interesting - have you been holding out on us and actually built the world's first 4 door hatch ?

#1298 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hahaha Ken. Well spotted. I realied after I'd written it that it was wrong, but didn't know what to call the rear bits, so there you go. : )

#1299 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

When doing the headlining, if you have some spare bits of pinchweld, you can cut them up and use them to hold the folded pieces into place instead on the clamps. At least this is what we did on mine.

Looking fantastic! Cant wait to see some pics of it completed and in the sun!

#1300 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:05 AM

Yeah i was just thinking the same thing, why not use the pinch weld to hold the lining in place while the glue sets?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users