#1351 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

G'day fellows, just reading back through my post and it looks like I have it in for Harrop, dont get me wrong Harrop do some very good work I was just very suprised to see something like this in a steering component.

Tim looking back a few pages where you had clearance issues with the rack to crossmember, you may have a slight twist in the K-frame, I use a UC K-frame as a jig and do all the final welding of the rack bracket on it to make sure they all will fit.
The back of the rotary valve will lightly rest up against the crossmember(normal), if you push the rack into place by hand and lightly tighten the two rack mount bolts there should be no load on any part of the rack other wise you will need to fit washers behind the rack cradle mount to crossmember as you said in your post. I have also allowed the bar between the mount cylinders to rest against the crossmember, if it means you take 1 or 2mm off the aluminium housing around the back where the mount is (square section) that is ok as I sometimes do this on final fit up test before I send them out. I noticed in one of your photos that this may be the case.

When I did bump steer curves with the rack conversion for my hatch I had less toe in/toe out through out the full travel than the original torana rack, and the toe out on turns was better, bugger all but still better. Using different arms didn't make that much difference to my suprise, but using any other arms but the correct A9x/Harrop arms on a HQ stubs caused major bumpsteer problems.

keeping the rack close as you can backward to the crossmember is perfered, when I designed the system I buggered around for weeks raising the rack up and down to get the best intersecting angles between the inner upper and lower control arm pivots, all which made a difference but the angle of the arm in relation to the inner lower control arm and the lower ball balljoint is where the most difference was made and improvement over the standard torana rack and is why I believe this rack conversion handles better than the factory setup.

It is also important to set the car up so the ride height of the vehicle allows the tie rod bars to be level, a straight line between the left and right tie rod ends and rack centre line will give the best handling.

Last of all the steering arms that I ream for the kits are not because they are Subaru, they are not it is an automotive tapper and in 50 % of cases you could just bolt them straight on they will fit the standard torana steering arms. I like to set the tie rod end just a tad lower in the hole and check that the original hole hasn't elongated with wear or damaged in any way, or check to make sure the hole isn't on an angle (LoL).

Hope I haven't confused you and may help others.

#1352 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

HARROP............Good enough for Brock?.............Good enough for me! :spoton:

#1353 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

Got the other rear trim on finally. It's nice to be covering up the metal bits at last.

Posted Image

Here's the gear stick boot. Hahaha, this is just the rubber seal, there'll be a proper vinyl boot sewn to the carpet. I took the elbow piece out of the gearstick, and now I think it's too short. Looks like I'll be machining up a longer gearstick soon.

Posted Image

At last the gauge cluster side of the dash is screwed into place.

Posted Image

I also put in new interior light switches.

Posted Image

You can see here the trim on the left has been cut down to fit in the UC. The one on the right is for an LX. Never knew the floor in the back was a different height. I do now though : )

Posted Image

Glued one of the rear side carpet pieces on. The fake supports I made seemed to work OK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also finally fitted the rear number plate mount.

Posted Image

And some new rubber stoppers.

Posted Image

I still have to cut a couple of holes in the floor carpet for the child restraints, but this gives some idea of how the back is looking now.

Posted Image

I thought I'd better do a couple of things on the motor. Mainly the charcoal canister and plumbing, and the heater hoses.

Here's the weird thingy that bolts to the intake manifold and has some wires coming out of it for whatever reason, so I figured it was important.

I dont have the tool for undoing the weird fittings though, and I need the hose to be longer. I just cut the old clamp off and replaced the hose and clamped it with a worm drive one.

Posted Image

#1354 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

Here's the new hose fitted.

Posted Image

Another hose going to the charcoal canister is this one I fitted to the breather on the rocker cover. I tried to hide it as much as I could, so it goes under the throttle body and out the passengers side.

Posted Image

The charcoal cannister is going to be mounted under the front of the engine bay on the passengers side, so sneaking the hoses over to it should make them inconspicuous enough once the engine covers are back on.

Posted Image

Here's that funny gismo I put the new hose on earlier. I've run the hose from it alongside the new hose from the rocker cover.

Posted Image

Another thing that needed doing was mounting the air intake sensor into the intake pipe.

Posted Image

A bit of holding help from some sikaflex.

Posted Image

Next up was to have a look at the heater hoses. I raided the local carbitz store and found some hoses I thought might work. They had to run in a fairly tight spot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some 5/8 copper pipe is great for joining heater hoses. I need to find a 3/4 piece for the other outlet ands step it down to 5/8, then they're finished.

Posted Image

I already glued some foam in these a while ago, but it was 10mm and was too thick, meaning the pipes were too hard to get through without tearing the foam off. I replaced it with some 6mm foam instead. Fits perfectly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tomorrow I'll go to the shed with the camaro in it, as that's where my welder is, and modify the charcoal cannister mount, so it can bolt in under the guard.

I can't wait until my new shed is done so everything can be in the one place!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#1355 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

It never looks like anything, but all these little annoying jobs seem to take ages.

Here's something much better - my new shed slab is finally poured!!!!!!!

Posted Image

I'm like a proud father, with a 12x24 metre baby : )

Posted Image

Can't wait to have a proper shed!!!!!!

#1356 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

Looking great as always and getting very close to finishing.

Your brother owes you big time!

Mick.

P.S. Just saw the concrete photo's and that's what I call a real man's slab.

Edited by lxsstorana, 17 August 2010 - 07:44 PM.

#1357 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

now that will be a shed !!! whats the other smaller slab for ?

#1358 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

OH MY GOD, look at the size of that slab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

#1359 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

What do you give the man who has everything?

A BIGGER SHED

#1360 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

WOW!!!

#1361 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:56 AM

AWESOME

#1362 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

double Awesome... that dog makes me laugh every time i see it!!

#1363 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Ok im putting my house up for sale, im coming to live in that shed :)

#1364 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

now that will be a shed !!! whats the other smaller slab for ?

Tim has his priorities right - the small slab is for his house Posted Image

#1365 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

Ok im putting my house up for sale, im coming to live in that shed :)

hahaha. I don't want to waste a perfectly good shed with crap like beds : )

The other shed (slab) is for my father in law. He's building a 20x8 shed, the last 4 metre bay being open for a dirty/sanding bay to keep most of the really filthy work out of the shed.

The house is still in council, so no house slab yet. And yes, is it a bit smaller than the shed : )

#1366 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

When the Dirtbag Wonderland of Dreams is complete, can i come visit? It'll be like a theme park!

#1367 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

I thought the other slab might have been for the house. It would be awesome to have a shed that was bigger than your house!

Are those interior light switches out of a VL commodore or something? They look really neat.

Nice job putting everything together. Its a pain but grouse at the same time.

#1368 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

The Light swtiches look like a universal thing, and you can cut the ends off to make them any length you want. I got something similar in an alarm kit.

#1369 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

I am in awe.

I think we have found the shed god.

:bowdown:

#1370 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Josh is right. They are a universal switch.

mmmm....shed...... : )

#1371 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

The Light swtiches look like a universal thing, and you can cut the ends off to make them any length you want. I got something similar in an alarm kit.

You can buy them individually from Dick Smith here

#1372 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

I bought these ones from Carbitz.

#1373 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

Nobody likes a show-off, Tim. Prancing around in a super-shed will win you no friends............................... Except me!!! :)

#1374 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

I thought the other slab might have been for the house. It would be awesome to have a shed that was bigger than your house!

My shed is 160 sq/mt, my house is 85 sq/mt, yes it is awesome.

That said my shed is a LOT smaller than Tims new one (288 sq/mt by my calcs), thats shit hot mate.

Cheers.

#1375 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

My shed is 160 sq/mt, my house is 85 sq/mt, yes it is awesome.

That said my shed is a LOT smaller than Tims new one (288 sq/mt by my calcs), thats shit hot mate.

Cheers.

But bomber every-time I come round you have a shitty old Ford in pieces in it

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users