* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#1376 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

After more time spent raiding the heater hose collection at carbitz I finally found a hose that starts at 3/4 and steps down to 5/8. Now the heater hoses are done. Yippee.

Posted Image

It certainly isn't pretty, but with the cover on it's not really a focal point anyway.

Posted Image

This is all you can see of the hoses going to the charcoal canister. Not too bad really. Plus the engine cover will hide it quite a lot too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The next excessively fun job was cleaning the windows. They've been lying around the shed for a year, and weren't too clean to begin with, so they were filthy.

Can you tell which one I've cleaned?

Posted Image

I also repainted the hinges and the button nuts that hold the fittings to the glass.

Once the window was in I could finally refit the side vent.

Posted Image

At least they did a great job masking the windows to paint the side vents in the past : ) This is the other side window. I'll leave fitting this til tomorrow as the paint on the hinges isn't dry yet.

Posted Image

I then gave the rear window a scrub. Holy crap it was dirty. There was so much crud around the edges I used 2 razor blades to clean it.

Then I got to wrestle with the new rubber. Getting it to stay on was tricky, but I got there eventually.

Posted Image

The only way I know to fit glass is with a piece of electrical wire. This is leftover wire from when I redid the charge wire from the alternator. I like it because it fairly thick, but still totally flexible. Thin wire can cut the rubber.

Posted Image

It's always a lot of fun fitting glass. OK, it's crap : )

Posted Image

Tomorrow is the really fun job. Fitting the bead strip into the rubber. Yay!

Posted Image

#1377 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

did you or will you use any kind of sealant on that windscreen dirtbag?

#1378 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:59 AM

Hey Stinga. I haven't used any sealant yet, but someone said I should. Should I? The rubber is easily plyable enough to get sealant in there, or will the new rubber with the new beading be enough?

I wasn't actually planning on fitting the window today, so didn't plan ahead.

#1379 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:36 AM

Yes use a bit of sealant - water pools in the bottom corners of the rear window against the seal because of the shallow angle, and on mine it leaks through and drips into the boot when it rains heavily :-(

#1380 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

Yes, use sealant. The new rubber won't stay soft and plyable for long. It'll go hard and will shrink a tiny bit. Stupid sunlight. That's when they start to leak.

#1381 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

Have you got the "tool" to fit the chrome strip?,i borrowed one from panel beater it makes it 10 times easier to fit it, i also used lanolin (sheep fat spray)
to lubricate the rubber when fitting strip,

#1382 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

Thanks guys for the advice re sealant. I'll get some today.

Barry, no I haven't got the right tool unfortunately. Any idea where I'd get one? Lanolin is good stuff. Great for cleaning electrical fittings too. My father in law has been using it for years.

#1383 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

I have one of the tools, could post it up to you for a loan if you want? I found it is also good to have the car in the sun while doing it to make the rubber more flexible.

or you could buy one like I did. trim tool

Edited by GML-31, 19 August 2010 - 09:31 AM.

#1384 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

Because your fabrication skills and ingenuity is so phenomenal and sometimes makes me doubt how human you actually are, i vote you make one and post the plans Posted Image

#1385 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

I always fit my windows with a bit of thin rope :) cheaper than wire!

ohh and a comment from Karlie (my missus)

that guys needs to get himself a proper dog to suit the shed size :tomaatit:

hahaha.

Edited by orangeLJ, 19 August 2010 - 12:45 PM.

#1386 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

A proper dog???? How could it be more proper? I mean, it looks like a bat with no wings. How is that not proper hahahaha : )

Using rope sounds like a good idea, but I had the wire here, so used it.

As for the window bead, I think I'll just hit it into place with a hammer and use a nail gun to hold it in place. Perfect : )

#1387 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

As for the window bead, I think I'll just hit it into place with a hammer and use a nail gun to hold it in place. Perfect : )

Zinc coated tek screws might work better. :)

#1388 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

use selleys no more gaps to seal it? i found heaps of it through my last torana. such a pain to remove!!

#1389 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

use selleys no more gaps to seal it? i found heaps of it through my last torana. such a pain to remove!!

Liquid nails would be better, then you'll have that nice yellow lump around the edges where it squelches out.....

#1390 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

You should make sure that any sealant you use is neutral cure, some sealers will cause rust.

I once saw a car where the roof had rusted through from the inside in reasonably straight lines along the roof supports. When the skin was removed it was obvious the factory sealer used to glue the roof to the support was the cause of the rust. The metal had only rusted where the sealer was applied.

#1391 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

I was really excited about getting into it today with the nail gun, but I do like the liquid nails "squished out the side" look, so might go with that : )

Thanks Kev for the link for the beading tool. Expensive little bugger, but I bought one anyway. It'll be one of those tools that wont see a lot of use, but I'll be glad I bought it when it does get used.

#1392 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

This fitting (red circle) is a piece of psss to get off..

Push it in (green arrow) and squeeze/pinch the 2 pads (blue arrows) and hold tight, and it should slide just off. It should be able to be twisted so you can get your fingers onto it easily.

Attached File  DSCF303722222.jpg   31.92K   83 downloads

#1393 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

Thanks Peter. I did try that, but failed, so just cut the clamp : )

Got a pair of new front seat belts today. I fitted the drivers one, fitted the drivers side rear side glass and side vent and fitted the windscreen. It's always fun fitting screens on your own.

I also put some sealant around the rear screen.

I taped the edge just in case. That black crap can go everywhere!!!!

Posted Image

I lifted the rubber here just to show where the goo is. I figured in the top edge would be a good spot.

Posted Image

Here's the windscreen before I cleaned it. All the glass was this dirty. It's been sitting around for a while now.

Posted Image

New seatbelt.

Posted Image

Finally all the glass is in the car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still have to fit the chrome window beading, but that can wait until the tool arrives.

#1394 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

I still have to fit the chrome window beading, but that can wait until the tool arrives.

But you've been working on it for ages already

Sorry couldn't help myself.

#1395 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:56 PM

I thought the other slab might have been for the house. It would be awesome to have a shed that was bigger than your house!

My shed is 160 sq/mt, my house is 85 sq/mt, yes it is awesome.

That said my shed is a LOT smaller than Tims new one (288 sq/mt by my calcs), thats shit hot mate.

Cheers.

I'm jealous. I still live with my folks and I reckon theres alot of wasted space in their house filled up with crap like furniture and vases and crap. If they established my way of thinking they could just have a massive garage.

#1396 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

Quick Dirtbag someone forgot to put the rear spoiler on !!! Fit it quick before someone else notices it's missing !!!!!!!! Posted Image

#1397 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hi Dirtbag, how did you go with getting a new steering arm from harrop any news?.

#1398 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

^ Page 53/54, keep up!!

Every time I come back here there are another four pages!!!

#1399 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:55 AM

Hi Dirtbag, how did you go with getting a new steering arm from harrop any news?.

Hi Lenny. I've sent the bad one back and am waiting for the new one to arrive. I'll keep you posted as to what happens next.
Will I need to then send the new one to you again for reaming?

#1400 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

Yes Dirtbag it would pay to send it down and I will check it for you.

Nice ute mate are you going to do a bit of interstate cartage with it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users