* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#1401 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hi again. The new steering arm arrived yesterday, no problems from Harrop at all. I figured they'd be really good about it. I'll send it down. Can you PM me your address again? Thanks.

#1402 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Really starting to come together now Tim.

Bout time for an update isn't it?

I'm experiencing serious withdrawals Posted Image

#1403 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

#1404 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Well I've been doing more stuff, but feel like I'm going backwards sometimes.

I finally got to fit the master cylinder. That's when the real fun started. Love those leaks : )

Looks flash though.

Posted Image

The front brakes bled fine, but the rear ones are still sucking air somehow.

I also refitted the heater motor. Looks nice with the wiring inside the heater box. Thanks for that idea.

Posted Image

The engine bay is pretty much finished here, except for the bonnet cable isn't connected and the ID tags aren't fitted yet.

Posted Image

My little girl helped me today to fit the other front flare. I'd left it off to make it easier to get to the brake lines and cotter pins for the steering.

Posted Image

Not sure who this sexy bloke is : ) hahaha

Posted Image

I figured I should have a go at putting the bonnet scoop on. I even cleaned the bonnet where the scoop goes first : )

Posted Image

I just like this pic with the scoop on.

Posted Image

I fitted the chrome beading to the windscreen. I'll wait until it's back on the ground to do the rear window. Too hard to reach at the moment.

Posted Image

I bought an air powered brake bleeder to do the brakes, but the rears are still pulling air for some reason.

Posted Image

I like this pic. Not really sure why, but too bad : )

Posted Image

This pic doesn't really show it, but I got massively cat scratched fitting the new cotter pins. There's not a lot of room with the LS1 and power steering. Not fun, but done now.

Posted Image

The other thing I got done this week is getting the clutch bled. It was a total pain, and I would hate to have to do it again, but seems to be working well now.

I'll hopefully get the rear seat back next week, so I can get the inside finished off.

#1405 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Two steps forward, one step back. Always seems to happen.

Just proves that your only human as well Dirtbag

#1406 _hatch76_

_hatch76_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

Hey mate,
Just wondering if you got your back brakes sorted out with the shocker clearance. Just doing the same upgrade on my hatch. Also too, with Harrops steering arms, I bought some not long ago and one was fine, but the other one, the thread on the back only went in about 10mm instead of all the way. Someones not doing their job properly !lol
Cheers Dan

Great looking carPosted Image

Edited by hatch76, 01 September 2010 - 09:06 PM.

#1407 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

Has the brake fluid got a ton of really tiny bubbles in it?

I have found that using an air powered bleeder will actually pull air in through the nipple thread.

Watch around the thread, you'll see that the wet bead will be drawn in.

Might be the problem?

I'd use the air bleeder to do the main part of the job, but disconnect the vac tube from the nipple by about 2-3mm and see what's coming out when gravity bleeding.

#1408 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Wow, the car just gets better and better looking!!! I REALLY Like the look of the engine bay!!!

#1409 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

its all coming together really nice now you have done a really neat job Posted Image oh the pic of that so called really sexy guy scared the crappers out me Posted Image good to see you getting the little one involved too there never to young to start learning Posted Image

#1410 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

I'm just hanging out for the video of you firing it up and cruising out of the shed now.

It's turned out awesome to say the least.

#1411 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

Tim ya know I love ya work, But too much orange in the engine bay :( just my silly old opinion anyway... If I was ever to steal this car id paint the heaterbox, booster and wiper motor black and chrome the intake pipe. was another members engine bay with the same thing. But cos the rest of the cars so awesome ill let ya off ;)

#1412 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

Ah shit don't spill any brake fluid on the paint! Jees this cars looking nice now.

Are you planning to drive it down to Canberra when its done? It will need a proper shakedown

#1413 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:58 AM

Great job !!! Has the throttle body got a nice flexible rubberish part between it and the induction pipes?? Im sure it does i just cant see it properly id say. As u know the engine will do a fair bit of twisting n rockin n rollin and needs the flex. :-)

#1414 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:42 AM

Hey mate,
Just wondering if you got your back brakes sorted out with the shocker clearance. Just doing the same upgrade on my hatch. Also too, with Harrops steering arms, I bought some not long ago and one was fine, but the other one, the thread on the back only went in about 10mm instead of all the way. Someones not doing their job properly !lol
Cheers Dan

Great looking carPosted Image

Hi Dan. I did get the rear brakes/shock clearance sorted be relocating the lower shock mount. It was a fairly simple job and seems to give everything the room it needs.
As for the steering arms, well I guess no one is perfect. All I can say is they made a boo boo with one of the arms they sent me, but once they were made aware and the dodgy one was sent back I had a new one on my doorstep, so I don't think they could do any more than that.

#1415 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

Hi Peter, you could be right there. I'll have to wait until someone is here to help with a manual bleed, as gravity isn't pulling anything through at all. Silly brakes.

Clint, I know what you're saying, but I kind of disagree. I think having all the black bits on the firewall would detract from the empty/smooth look I was going for. Considering how much crap is in that engine bay - chev motor, A/C, P/S, EFI, hydraulic clutch etc, I think it's all fairly well hidden, so making the heater box stand out just takes away from that. Maybe I need to just paint the engine covers mission brown to break it up a bit : ) hehehehe. I appreciate what you're saying though about too much orange, but once it's registered and the fully polished 6/71 blower goes on you wont even notice the orange : )

I think my brother is planning to drive it down. That's if I ever get it finished!!!!

LH8VD69 there is a piece of silicon pipe mounting the intake pipe to the throttle body, but it was blue so I covered it as much as I could with the stainless T bolt clamps : )
I'm not really relying on the silicon mount for flex though, it's basically a solid mount now. There's enough room where the pipes pass through the inner guards to allow for engine movement.

#1416 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

Well I've had a pretty busy couple of days. Not really doing anything too noticeable, but important.

One thing I did that you can see is the rubber backing for the tank straps. I just used the same stuff as around the flares, and joined it together. I like the look. Don't worry about the tank looking bent, it's just a wide angle lense.

Posted Image

I also fitted the new Harrop steering arms. Much better.

Posted Image

So after a bit more tweaking and farting about, I finally got to drive the car out of the shed under its own steam!!!!! Yay!!!!

Posted Image

I also finally cut the bonnet cable down and hooked it up. This is the only part of it visible in the engine bay.

Posted Image

It's good to have the car outside for a change. It's very dirty though.

Posted Image

This morning I drove it up to the top shed to give it a wash. I love seeing it not in the shed!!!

Posted Image

The best thing about simple smooth engine bays is washing them. Not too much to get the sponge caught on in here : )

Posted Image

Look! A nice juicy wet ass hahahahaa

Posted Image

Looks nice after a bit of a scrub.

Posted Image

Once it was washed and dried, I thought it would be good to get a few pics of it out the front of my place. So this meant I HAD to drive it up the road a bit : ) hehehe

Posted Image

This next shot is one of my favourite pics I've ever taken.

It's the good old "drive along with the camera out the window" technique. It's very scientific. hahaha. OK, I totally fluked it, but I LOVE this pic.

Posted Image

The rear brakes still aren't 100%, but the brakes are still good enough for a little test drive. Feels nice to drive even though it doesn't have the power steering hoses made yet.

Slowly it's getting there.

#1417 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

Beautiful!! That is gorgeous!! Well done!

#1418 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

Well I did end up taking some pics out the front of my place just for a different background, so I'll just dump a heap here for you to look at.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's this big ugly douche again. He sure is happy about it being driveable at last though.

Posted Image

Then it was back in the shed for a heap of other little jobs that HAD to be done today.

Posted Image

Still a ways to go yet.

#1419 _2_many_torries... never!_

_2_many_torries... never!_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

Absolutely love this car. you have done an amazing job!! one of the most practical and tasteful quality hatches i have seen... any chance your brothers favourite colour is Royal Plum and he wants to swap?

by the way, that colour looks amazing in the sun. hard to believe its a solid colour

Edited by 2_many_torries... never!, 03 September 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#1420 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

So, the reason for what felt like a million jobs over the last few days, up to about 7pm tonight was to get something kind of important done.

I got these little bits of paper.

Posted Image

And this nice shiny blue Mod plate : )

Posted Image

It's tucked away fairly well, and only really stands out here because the flash highlights it.

Posted Image

It's got 8 modification codes on it. Motor, gearbox, diff, brakes, steering, drop tank, seats and child restraint anchor points.

What a F#$KING RELIEF!!!!!!!!!!

It's still not roadworthy, but that's a lot easier to deal with than the engineering side of things, so I am VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!! It's been a crap load of work though to get this done this week, but I'm glad I persisted.

Now I just have a heap of other things to do to it........

Posted Image

#1421 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

Sweet!!!!

#1422 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Hey Tim

Congratulations, and well done top effort, it really does look the goods, I have just had a nasty idea, I wonder if I could maybe arrange for your brothers flight to be late and then I could drive it to Toranafest for him hehehe

#1423 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

Well done Tim, hats off to you, what you have done with this once UC is a credit to you and your determination. Bet your brother is chomping at the bit to get it down south. :nudie:

#1424 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:19 AM

Well done Tim, hats off to you, what you have done with this once UC is a credit to you and your determination.

Imagine what he could do with an A9X hatch? :blink2:

Well done Dirtbag!

#1425 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:19 AM

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Cruiza, still not sure if it will be finished for toranafest. There's still a bit to do for RWC, but I'll try my hardest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users